seriously stressed out.. soft palate surgery

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Hi guys, so we met with a different vet for a second opinion regarding beefs breathing and like i could've guessed he highly suggests the elongated soft palate surgery, nares widening, and (if necessary when he gets in there) removing saccules. I also would like him neutered if he needs all this done anyways. I'm feeling so stressed out and worried. I'm torn between if I should do this or not. I know in the long run it will be better for him, he will have more stamina, less chance of aspiration, will be able to breathe better, get better sleep, etc. But then I keep thinking what if we don't do it? He's fine right now. There's so many "what ifs". Like what if something happens during surgery. It's comforting to know that others have gone through this procedure and their dogs have made it out just fine, and it ended up being a benefit. Surgery is scheduled for March 23rd. I need to find a way to calm my nerves or i'm going to be a wreck for the next 6 weeks!

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
With bullies the possibility of something happening during surgery is always there. If it were me I would do it as I am all about the quality of life my bully has and will do everything in my power to make sure she has the best life there is. However, you have to go with what you feel in your heart is best for yours.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I completely understand your concern… however I have had one bulldog undergo this surgery, Walter and I will probably have it done on Willow when the time comes. IMHO it has made a HUGE difference in Walter's life, and I wish that I had had all of my bulldogs go thru this IF needed.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
That is one perfectly gorgeous bully!
I don't have any experience with those procedures (well except Winslow's snip.snip!) but i wish you the best of luck, and hope you find yourself more comfortable before then.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I'm right there with you sister! Lockjaw's surgery is scheduled for March 24! We are doing his neuter, tacking back his cherry eye and widening his nares. He has pretty narrow mares but like your boy, he's fine, runs, plays everything. We made up our mind to get his done after we got Penny's done. It really does make a huge difference. Just yesterday I was outside with them playing fetch and it took lockjaw 30 mins to stop panting. Penny panted all of 5 minutes. I don't have experience with palate surgery. Penny's was looked at during her surgery and it looked good. I'm not quite as nervous as I was with Penny bc I am comfortable with our vet- but all that will change the day of. Lol. Just bc I see such. difference in Penny , I would advocate atleast the nare surgery. I also opted to bunch all the surgeries bc I don't want him to have to go under more than he needs to. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have had this done to two of my babies and it was a great decision with excellent results! We even had our current baby's nares done at 16 weeks which we are seeing fantastic results as he does not snore and are hoping that will prevent the need for palate surgery done the road.

Our Frenchie had to have it done twice due to scar tissue, but he is doing great

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Two of mine had their eyes(entropion) done, and one had her nares done at the same time.
They both were also spayed at a different time. All went well and no problems.If your vet is Bully experienced and knows the correct anesthesia to use,and procedures,all should be okay. [MENTION=15146]Dfestaiuti[/MENTION] We all get freaked out,but it doesn't help anything.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boy he's a great looking Bulldog!! Wow! I prescribe reading all of the positive stories on here about palate and nare surgeries with a glass or 6 of good wine lots of good sleep and bully hugs and kisses and EVERYTHING WILL BE OK.

I know it's impossible to not worry but these bulls pick up on our feelings way to well and if we're apprehensive / worried they will be too and we don't want that..

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I know about that worry! We read a lot about the procedure here before Castor had soft palate surgery (and they widened his nares too) a little more than a year ago, and we wrote about Castor's experience too. In his case, surgery was necessary, I would say, and he's another dog now. I was nervous but we are so happy we did it.

Good advice I got here included choosing a good vet hospital with 24h care. In Castor's case, they shaved his entire chest in case they needed to perform tracheostomy after the surgery (there is a risk of swelling), so for us it was very reassuring that he stayed at the hospital. Another thing to consider is the need to eat bland food for a week or so (we didn't quite realise that at first). After the surgery Castor got meds for nausea but no painkillers so apparently this is not very painful for them after the surgery.

---edit---
Oh, here's a pic of Castor some four days after his soft palate surgery. His first walk in the forest after the operation.

Attachments

• castor-autumn.jpg
    castor-autumn.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 646
  • castor-autumn.jpg
    castor-autumn.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 430
OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
You guys are so wonderful, I'm so grateful for this forum and all the advice. My vet does not perform this surgery so she recommended a different vet... I chose a board certified surgeon from that practice who only takes referrals. He says some of the other Vets use a laser but he likes to use a "vessel sealing device" because evidence shows that the laser is not better. (That kind of made me nervous, because I've always heard laser is better. But it's not like he's using scissors right...) they are open 24 hours with a "ICU" where beef will stay over night to make sure no complications arise (which I like). They also said they will shave a small spot on his throat in the case they need to perform an emergency trach. He also says they use isoflourane for anesthesia. They're going to do blood work, an EKG, and a chest X-ray post op and if all goes well they will proceed with the surgery.

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Is there any way to post a video on here? I want you guys to hear how beef sounds when he breathes..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Post on utube,make it public,post access code here.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We had Barkley's soft palate and neuter done at the same time a couple years ago and it has made such a big difference! When I dropped him off, the vet said he would take a look at his throat after he was under bc he doesn't like to do the palate unless it's absolutely necessary. But he ended up having to trim a good amount off his palate and his tonsils too bc they were all so long. He did it with the laser and Barkley was able to come home later that afternoon and had no problems! I've heard some vets prefer to use a laser and some don't, I'd just choose whoever is most experienced doing it on bullies. From what I understand, the laser makes it a lot easier of a surgery and the recovery time is a lot faster. Good luck!! [emoji4]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.