aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I knew something was not right when Lola could never calm down and catch her breath after short bursts of exercise or even when anxious. After a terrible scare in which her tongue turned blue and it took hours to calm her breathing down (i called my husband home from work), Lola was scheduled for elongated palate surgery, nare widening, and saccule removal. Immediate relief and she has been fine (despite my overprotectiveness) since. Please do it if there is a chance it will make his life better. He is a beauty, I'd never want to lose him! Lola's vet also did not do that surgery, but she needed a tooth extracted at the same time. Our emergency clinic with the best surgeons in the city performed both procedures on the same anesthesia. Lola stayed overnight. So happy we did it. SHe's now turning 5 :) No more breathing scares.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am not sure about not using a laser on the pallet. If you're unsure about not doing the pallet then I agree with previous poster who says at least get the nares done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Also meant to add that our surgeon felt more comfortable not using the laser so we felt comfortable allowing him to do it that way. Personal decision for sure. Surgeons choice, but you have your choice of surgeons.

sent from my droid mini

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Beef is very Handsome, he is surely a looker. How old is this Handsome Gentleman?

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hey I had the surgery done with Boris at the same time he was neutered I was a nervous wreck when he had it but within 2 days he was breathing and feeling so much better and gave him such a better quality of life.

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Wow you guys really make me feel so much better about this! I appreciate the advice and support. His surgery is in 2 weeks and I'm still nervous about it, but every time I watch him gag while eating or get winded from a 5 minute walk I know it will be worth it in the long run. And My Otis, this handsome little boy is 13 months old! I've never loved an animal so much.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had the surgery and did great! It is very worrying but he came through without any problems at all.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How is he when you take him for a walk? Right there it sound more like it is all about the nares. When he breaths with his mouth open how does that sound?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is he when you take him for a walk? Right there it sound more like it is all about the nares. When he breaths with his mouth open how does that sound?

agreed.... nares look tight/narrow, but how is he when walking or playing

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
He really doesn't ever breathe with his mouth open unless he's panting. When he's just mildly panting (like from being excited people are at our house) he doesn't really snort too bad.... But when he's panting heavier like during a walk or something his snorting sounds horrible and I immedietly make him relax because it's scary.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He really doesn't ever breathe with his mouth open unless he's panting. When he's just mildly panting (like from being excited people are at our house) he doesn't really snort too bad.... But when he's panting heavier like during a walk or something his snorting sounds horrible and I immedietly make him relax because it's scary.

How is he when he is sleeping? Any times that you notice he stops breathing (sleep apnea) ?

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
He snores like a truck when he's sleeping!!! Way louder then his normal breathing. No sleep apnea though

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You guys are so wonderful, I'm so grateful for this forum and all the advice. My vet does not perform this surgery so she recommended a different vet... I chose a board certified surgeon from that practice who only takes referrals. He says some of the other Vets use a laser but he likes to use a "vessel sealing device" because evidence shows that the laser is not better. (That kind of made me nervous, because I've always heard laser is better. But it's not like he's using scissors right...) they are open 24 hours with a "ICU" where beef will stay over night to make sure no complications arise (which I like). They also said they will shave a small spot on his throat in the case they need to perform an emergency trach. He also says they use isoflourane for anesthesia. They're going to do blood work, an EKG, and a chest X-ray post op and if all goes well they will proceed with the surgery.

When Wally had his done, our vet did not use the laser. When I asked her about it, she said that using a laser brings heat to the area and in her opinion causes more swelling… I think that as long as you trust your vet whatever method they choose would be the best choice.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.