MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi All!!

I just adopted a English Bully name Ms Ellie who is now 13 weeks old, and we have been battling Urine Crystals, for a couple weeks, at First Vet Diagnosed with UTI, gave Antibotics, restested Urine once they were complete, and still have Crystals and High PH-8

We tested our water and found out it is VERY High in Alkaline, so we have switched her to Bottled Water ONLY, and have changed her food to Orijen, in hopes this might help.

Just looking for some support on how your cured your babies when they had Crystals

Thanks in Advance,

New Bully Mom - Melissa

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry this happening to your baby. Has the vet tested the crystals? There are quite a few different kind and the right way to proceed is different with each.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
So sorry this happening to your baby. Has the vet tested the crystals? There are quite a few different kind and the right way to proceed is different with each.

Thanks RiiSi!!:) - We are hoping to get better soon, or to find a Vet that is a little more experienced with Bully's

No they have not tested the crystals yet:unsure:, the only thing I have been told is, that they are present and there is a high level of them, and that she has the high PH level of 8

Right now the Vet recommended a Canned wet food Diet, and to up her moisture and Upped her Vitamin C Dosage to 250Mg, and wants to retest in couple of weeks, he also said we could test sooner if I was super concerned

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
My boy has Hyperuricosuria which makes him prone to develope urate crystals and eventually stones. They form in acidic urine. The first time he had them his urine pH was 9 and after they tested the stones and found out they were urate I was amazed. So the crystals formed first and then came the infection. Most likely your baby has struvite crystals which form in alkaline urine but it is not 100 % sure. They really need to test the crystals to be sure and only then they can give you the right treatment for sure. You could also by an electrical pH meter and monitor her urine pH at home. It should be between 6,6-7,6 in any case.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
My boy has Hyperuricosuria which makes him prone to develope urate crystals and eventually stones. They form in acidic urine. The first time he had them his urine pH was 9 and after they tested the stones and found out they were urate I was amazed. So the crystals formed first and then came the infection. Most likely your baby has struvite crystals which form in alkaline urine but it is not 100 % sure. They really need to test the crystals to be sure and only then they can give you the right treatment for sure. You could also by an electrical pH meter and monitor her urine pH at home. It should be between 6,6-7,6 in any case.

I will be sure to ask them to make sure they test for the specific type when we retest in the coming weeks, I have also invested in Pet Urine testing strips, which we received yesterday, curious to try them out this week.

In my readings, it has also been my understanding that it is quite possible, that the crystals are of the Struvite type.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I would try to up the water intake. Water will help balance out acidic or basic urine. Try giving ice cube treats. My bully loves to crunch on them and it is a good way to get him to drink or cool down.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I would try to up the water intake. Water will help balance out acidic or basic urine. Try giving ice cube treats. My bully loves to crunch on them and it is a good way to get him to drink or cool down.
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] - Thanks so much yes, we have encouraged her to drink more, and have put water in her food, and have also incorporated ice cubes, as a fun time treat for her

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi All!!

Called the Vet and CONFIRMED that the Crystals she has are the Struvite!!

Looking for your experiences on how you were able to clear these up in your babies.

Thanks so much, I am 1st Bully owner, and have never has this experience with any of my previous babies, as my mom does have a bully but never experienced this

Hope to hear from you soon

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
To prevent the re-occurrence of struvites it’s recommended to do the following:
-Closely monitor your dog’s urinary pH to detect UTIs (dogs should have a pH of between 5.5 and 7.0).
-Supplement with cranberry capsules. Compounds found in cranberries help to prevent bacteria from attaching to the tissue that lines the bladder and urinary tract.
-Supplement with probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria. A healthy population of beneficial bacteria in the dog’s system will help to combat any unhealthy bacteria (such as the bacteria that causes UTIs).
-Vitamin C is often recommended for dogs prone to UTIs due to its antiiinflammatory properties.
-Uva Ursi is an herb often used to treat UTIs due to its anti-bacteria properties. It should only be used intermittently for short periods of time.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi All!!

Called the Vet and CONFIRMED that the Crystals she has are the Struvite!!

Looking for your experiences on how you were able to clear these up in your babies.

Thanks so much, I am 1st Bully owner, and have never has this experience with any of my previous babies, as my mom does have a bully but never experienced this

Hope to hear from you soon

Ohh I'm so sorry to hear your baby has crystals!! Our boy, Barkley had crystals a couple years ago but they were cystine. As far as I know, surgery is the only way to remove the crystals, which is what we had to do with Barkley. I'm not sure of how to prevent the recurrence of the struvite kind since they seem to be totally different than cystine ones. Good luck to you though, I'm sure you will get lots of good tips on here and I hope your baby gets better soon!!! :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If your dog has to have crystals, let them be struvite.... Lynn gave you great advice.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Thank you for the Wonderful information!!
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] - I have read ACV can help also, I was thinking of putting a little in Ellies water, as she does not have much interest in plain water, and we have hard time getting her to increase her intake!!

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
:)I dont want to go and get TOO excited, but I had purchased some Pet Urine Testing Strips, Not to sure of their accuracy, BUT I used them twice today, Once RIGHT when Ellie Woke this AM, and once RIGHT after lunch, and BOTH times she tested 6.5PH:w00t:, So I am crossing my fingers her next Testing at the Vet will go just as well:pray: Ellies PH test 2-6-16.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online