Rubbing ears on the ground.?.?

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
When we got Chaos out to eat last night, I noticed his face around his mouth and his head above his eyes was really pink. He ate and acted normal and was put up for the night. He cried all night on and off but I attributed it to us being gone all day yesterday except to let him out for his potty trips. I figured he just wanted out to play and was tired of being kenneled. Tonight I got him ready for a bath and again noticed his head and his jowls were really pink. I put him in the tub and noticed his tummy and his ears and feet were pink as well. I got him out and dried him and proceeded to dry his wrinkles and put destin in them. He played a little but wanted to just cuddle witrh me mostly which is HIGHLY unusual. I fed him, his Fromm Chicken a la Veg came in yesterday and he began transitioning last night, he ate not as normal. Not sure if its the new food or because he doesn't feel good. He played some and I noticed him putting his head to the floor and pushing his ear along the floor. He also shakes and scrathes at his head/ear alot. He is due to go to the vet tomorrow anyway for shots, I'm just worried about what else is wrong with him :*( Any ideas or any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I wonder if he has an infection? You can take his temp. with a digital rectal thermometer. Dog normal temp. is higher than ours', I think a dogs' normal is between 101 and 102 degrees.

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
It sounds like he has an ear infection they way he's rubbing at them and shaking his head. If you're going to the vet anyway tomorrow I would make sure to let them know and make sure they look at both ears. Sometimes you cab get water in when giving baths and that can lead to an infection or there could just some junk in there. DO you clean his ears weekly with a liquid ear cleaner? If not it might want to be something you add to your list of things to clean weekly or more. Some need it more then that, my Mack needs it weekly and my Rocky needed it every other day. Ask the vet was is best for your bully and what they think is best for him. I use the ear plugs that look silly puddy there in round balls that you can put safely in there when you give a bath. I used them on my kids when they were little too, work great no water gets in. The vet will most likely give you an antibiotic to put in the ear and maybe even one by mouth depending on what it is that's going on in there. Good luck and if I can help please just ask. Also to see if he has a fever you need to take his temp using a rectal thermometer. Normal is 99.5-102.5 in dogs

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Has he been on a chicken based diet before?

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
he was eating the chicken soup for puppys, he has only had 2 feedings of the fromm with 3/4 chicken soup and 1/4 fromm, wonder if it iis a chicken allergy? How can I tell?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, that sounds like an ear infection to me - you won't necessarily see wax or discharge but the ears are red, swollen inside, and probably not very comfortable, hence the rubbing. Be sure to alert your vet tomorrow so he or she can check things out and give you something to help clear it up like a anti-bacterial/anti-fungal wash and an ointment - these things can be stubborn. Linus was the king of ear infections - basically had them on a chronic basis for almost a year - until we made a food change so I would evaluate Chaos' diet and see if you can't find something that suits him better.

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
just got his Fromm yesterday and starteed him on uit last night. Unless its a food allergy to chicken I wanna give him a chance on Fromm. He was on chicken soup puppy and pedigree from the breeder...eww

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas gets red and itchy on chicken, I would definitly have his ears checked for infection, the chicken or any food allergy can cause ear problems/infections. Let us know after your vet today.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My initial guess would be an ear infection .. and there isn't always any outwards signs or smell. So certainly get your vet to check it. I don't believe it would be a reaction to the fromm because he hasn't been on it for long enough or had enough of it to show an allergy that quick!! So don't give up on the fromm yet!!

L

Lucy-licious

Aww poor Chaos, hope he's ok soon! Pretty much sound like an infection to me :(
I feel for him too, I suffer with regular ear infections and have one again now, its gotta be the worst pain
Cuddles needed I feel :hug::hug: he'll soon be better after his vet visit :hug:

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
UPDATE!! So the hubby took Chaos to the vet and he of course got his shots and definately has an ear infection in both ears :down: He gave us some antifungal stuff (can't read the name) to put in his ears twice a day and he said that should fix his ears right up. He was rechecked to make sure the coccidia was gone and it is :whew: He gave us another round of wormer as a repeat for caution. He did ask what we fed him and told us he would change his food to a lamb and rice food, but I'm not. I want to give the Fromm a chance. He said the pink iness was from the ear infections, so why should I change his food?? I want to atleast let him get over the infection and then see if he has any more issues while on chicken food so I will know thats the problem.?.?.? Oh and guess how much he weighs??????????????? at 4 weeks =4 lbs, 6 weeks = 8lb 12 oz and at 10 weeks he weighs 14 lbs!! So he is definately growing up :luv:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online