Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
In the last couple of days George's tear stains have become very bad. They are a brown colour and the fur seems to be clumping. I clean his eye wrinkles every day with some cooled boiled water as any eye cleaning product we tried seemed to make his folds red and angry looking so I thought the plain water might be best. Also we dry the area after the cleaning.
Any suggestions on what is good to use as this is really upsetting me at the moment I would hate to think he was sore :(

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
have you changed his food recently?? i think dogs are like diets... what works for some don't work for others.. i figured out my Rocky could not have rice.. once i changed his food he looks great.. sorry not much help.. i hope you can get a hand on it.. i know how frustrating it can be.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We had problems with tear stains like that FTSE and it was the food he was on

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are his eyes runny/tearing a lot? I think I remember you having to find new food-- did you recently change?

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
If it's in the last couple of days, look toward environmental or food as cause…
Skip cleaning w/water, though damp cloth may be okay…best handled by a drying agent like witch hazel pads (cleanses and dries).

Can't stress enough pumping up the immune system if tear stains are acting up…most likely an underlying issue.

Add some ACV and probiotics to diet if not done already, Desitin works wonders for clearing up sore/raw stains. How's George's stool? Tailpocket/Paws?

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
If it's in the last couple of days, look toward environmental or food as cause…
Skip cleaning w/water, though damp cloth may be okay…best handled by a drying agent like witch hazel pads (cleanses and dries).

Can't stress enough pumping up the immune system if tear stains are acting up…most likely an underlying issue.

Add some ACV and probiotics to diet if not done already, Desitin works wonders for clearing up sore/raw stains. How's George's stool? Tailpocket/Paws?
I did change his food to orejin puppy about 3 weeks ago and I can see how this could be the problem as it seems to be a more (not sure how to describe this) condensed food and much darker than his original Royal Cainin. The problem is that his gastric issues are much better on this food it's just his eyes seem to be worse. I will try the witch hazel as recommended as soon as I can get some ( not easy in my small town). I am going to try some damp muslin cloth in the meantime.
His other parts are all normal tail pocket etc.but yes he has one particularly teary eye in the last few days.
Thanks everyone again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could also be teething or eyelashes too.... How old is George?

Lambeau is 15 mths and i am still struggling with them--- I keep them clean and will do allergy testing after he turns 2

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Maybe you can find something here:

English Bulldog News Forums - Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?!!

I have thankfully not had problems with tear stains in long time, I'm not sure if it's the coconut oil we give them or the filtered water... I also switched to stainless steel bowls... On our Boeboe her tear stains were caused by Entropion issues, so hers got much better after that was fixed. Hope you can find something that works nice on George.

Thank you I will check out the link now. Can I just ask how you give the coconut oil to your dog?

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Could also be teething or eyelashes too.... How old is George?

Lambeau is 15 mths and i am still struggling with them--- I keep them clean and will do allergy testing after he turns 2

He is just about to turn 8 months. He dosent have a problem walking in the wind (which I understand is a sign of eyelash problems) but I don't have enough knowledge to be sure of that. I was also told he had all his adult teeth by the vet but he is still a very big chewer he will destroy most toys in less than 5 mins. I'm pretty convinced it is the food but thats a no win situation as he seems so well intestinaly on it and after all our trouble with his tummy it's nice to have him settled.
Thanks you so much for all your advice I really do appreciate it.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thank you I will check out the link now. Can I just ask how you give the coconut oil to your dog?

I give them 2 tablespoons on their food everyday:) I'd start off with less though and gradually increase it to make sure it doesn't upset the tummy. It also works well on dry noses:)

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I give them 2 tablespoons on their food everyday:) I'd start off with less though and gradually increase it to make sure it doesn't upset the tummy. It also works well on dry noses:)[/QUOTE
Thank you I will give it a go can't see it doing any harm I'll start off with a tea spoon and build up from there.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
I would definetly start him on the coconut oil!
My bully is 5 1/2 months old I started giving him coconut oil a month ago, when he was diagnosed with D-mange and began loosing his fur. I use organic, unrefined, cold -pressed virgin coconut oil, I found at my local discount grocery store. I started him off with a tsp a day for a week, then 2 tsps the following week and now he's up to 1 tbls daily. He eats it right off a spoon or sometimes I put it inside his kong toy. I tried putting it in his food, but he was not going for it. He's a very picky eater! I not only give it to him to eat, I also use it on his coat, esp where he has patches of fur loss.
Some other things I do is wipe his face every morning with a small warm wet cloth, wiping dry afterwards. I was told to only use plain warm water and nothing else. I give him filtered water and he eats and drinks out of stainless steel bowls.
Since I use the coconut oil on his fur I will rub a lil on his face and nose. Trying not to rub to hard, as he gets irritated really fast.
Not sure if all this helps, but i'm sure it doesn't hurt.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.