Swollen Hock? Help!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Bo's hock is swollen on the back right leg! Sometimes he limps, sometimes he doesn't. I've been trying to get him to just rest it, so I've been snuggled under a blanket with him so he won't follow me around. He has a vet appt tomorrow at 4p.

What is this a sign of?
86f1ae67293d44316c4da44c23520887.jpg

33959d762499e95649b57b50564cfdb5.jpg

0cc6043bc38dca3087ed6a65f5d75c6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He could have hurt it somehow, you did the best thing getting him in to the doc. Please let us know what they say :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Bo. Poor guy, I hope he's not in pain. Im not sure what could be causing the swelling. Maybe he pulled the muscle somehow? Let us know what the vet said. I hope he's okay and it's not something serious. Sending love, hugs and Prayers. ❤️

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Honey...try not to worry, Bo may have whacked it any number of ways.
But until you know what's going on, keep him quiet and/or confined or
crated. Yes, do let us know what Vet says...big hugs & deep breaths!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It could be an infection or a cyst… let us know what the vet says.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor Bo :( I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you but it sounds like you're doing the best you can to help him by keeping him from using it too much before you get him to the vet. I hope you guys get good news today from the vet! Hugs and positive thoughts and prayers from Murray and I :pray::assurred::grouphug:please keep us posted!

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Just seen this, how did it go at the vets?

His appt is at 4pm today- earliest they could get him in. I hope he's ok! He didn't limp on it at all this morning. I'll let you guys know as soon as we get home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
His appt is at 4pm today- earliest they could get him in. I hope he's ok! He didn't limp on it at all this morning. I'll let you guys know as soon as we get home.

Any update?

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Didn't really get a bunch of answers. The vet suggested we do tramadol and rest for a few days before we get into anything else. Plus she wanted to talk to her husband who is a vet surgeon to show him the photos of the hock because no one in the office had ever seen it before. She did a full exam, no fever. It doesn't seem to bother him a ton. He doesn't limp on it every time he takes a step. Usually only if he's been laying down and then he gets up, he will limp just that first step and not every time then either.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Came in to check on Bo...am sorry Vet couldn't find obvious issue
but...hoping it will resolve on it's own. Continue updates, please!
Prayers over y'all and sending hugs :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Didn't really get a bunch of answers. The vet suggested we do tramadol and rest for a few days before we get into anything else. Plus she wanted to talk to her husband who is a vet surgeon to show him the photos of the hock because no one in the office had ever seen it before. She did a full exam, no fever. It doesn't seem to bother him a ton. He doesn't limp on it every time he takes a step. Usually only if he's been laying down and then he gets up, he will limp just that first step and not every time then either.

Did they x-ray it?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Is is a hard knot, or does it have some give. If it has a "give" when you push on it, it could be a Baker's cyst. The happens behind my knees, and they occasionally have to be drained. Wishing the best and hope that it is nothing serious.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is is a hard knot, or does it have some give. If it has a "give" when you push on it, it could be a Baker's cyst. The happens behind my knees, and they occasionally have to be drained. Wishing the best and hope that it is nothing serious.

You are a wealth of information--- so happy you are here to share that knowledge and help us all. (Hugs)

Members online

No members online now.