BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Let me start this by saying, I've had bullies all my life and never had this kind of problem. My bully has a really tight tail and therefore, has a tail pocket. A few weeks ago, I noticed that when I clean his tail pocket there is blood. It is just progressively getting worse. Now, he is bleeding on everything, not a lot, but he also doesn't like it cleaned anymore. He usually loves me cleaning it.

I have taken him to the vet and he does not recommend the surgery because it will cut into the spine. (We had a dog that had the tail removed before and it just made everything worse and was a horrible surgery.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on anything I can do that I haven't tried yet. I have tried antibiotics, powder and even had a guaze I was putting in there to try to keep it dry. I'm running out of ideas and worried about my little boy. He is the most precious dog ever. He is my world since I lost my husband 11 months ago. However, I am getting ready to move in with someone and can't have him bleeding all over.

I live in a small area and wondering about vets that may specialize in this that are located in central Florida. I don't have much money though, when my hubby died he had no life insurance, which is why I am moving in with someone else.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
H Kelly --- we recently had to have out boys tail removed... I'll have to check but I think the cost was abut 800.00. I thin you need to seek a second opinion, as it does cut into the spine, since the tail is an extension of it, sometimes it is for the betterment of the dog to have it removed.

Our girl, Banks, had a very tight tail, but we were able to maintain it for her 9 yrs of life, never had to talk about removal, but our new boy, Lambeau, it was not an option to leave it

Here is a list of member recommended vets in Fl.... hopefully, one is near you

Veterinary Center at Fishhawk
Dr. Katie Thompson or Dr. Ben Stading
Lithia, FL
813-681-9080

Paws & Claws Veterinary Hospital
Dr. Otfried Guhrt
Tallehassee, FL
850-906-0444

Lake Alfred Animal Hospital
Dr. Mary McDaniel
Lake Alfred, FL
863-956-5700

Tuttle Animal Medical Clinic
Dr. Steve Koch DVM
Sarasota, FL
941-955-0136

Animal Medical Center
Dr. Ashlee Puckett
Gulf Breeze, FL
850-932-6085

Animal Cancer Care Clinic
Dr. Stephanie Correa (Oncologist)
Dr. Tacy Rupp (Cardio-pulmonary issues)
Dr. Melissa Knieriem
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Also has offices in Palm Beach and Martin Counties
www.animalcancerclinic.com

Sunset Pet Hospital
Dr. Ricardo Caballero
Miami, Florida
305-816-9990

Coastal Veterinary Hospital
13431 Beach Blvd (Beach/Hodges)
Jacksonville, FL 32246
904-223-4360

www.coastalvethospital.com

Highland Pet Hospital
Dr. Beverly Brimacomb
5631 US Hwy 98 South

Lakeland, FL 33813
863-644-6634
www.highlandpethospital.net

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this with Dozer. Tail pocket infections are the worst! Murray has had one before and the vet gave me an ointment (I'm sorry I don't recall the name) but that was a big help after the antibiotics and in addition to the duoxo wipes which we still use. Did you take him to the vet before or after the bleeding? If it was before, did the vet have any suggestions? If not I would be calling or taking him back in. Good luck and please keep us posted!

OP
BuddercupKelly

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you. I was thinking a second opinion too.

- - - Updated - - -

I just ordered the wipes, so I hope that will help.

OP
BuddercupKelly

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this with Dozer. Tail pocket infections are the worst! Murray has had one before and the vet gave me an ointment (I'm sorry I don't recall the name) but that was a big help after the antibiotics and in addition to the duoxo wipes which we still use. Did you take him to the vet before or after the bleeding? If it was before, did the vet have any suggestions? If not I would be calling or taking him back in. Good luck and please keep us posted!

I'm going to try another vet and I ordered the Duoxo wipes. Thank you.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sudocream is very good in this kind of situatons. When I wiped only with Duoxo wipes (or something similar we have here) my boys skin got irritated and started to bleed. So my remedy that is workin for us is every other time Duoxo wipes and every other time Sudocream.

OP
BuddercupKelly

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
may sound/be gross, but can you post a picture?

That's not gross to a bulldog momma. LOL
I can do that later tonight. The thing is that it doesn't look bad, but what it does to the furnishings is icky.
But I will post one after work.

- - - Updated - - -

Sudocream is very good in this kind of situatons. When I wiped only with Duoxo wipes (or something similar we have here) my boys skin got irritated and started to bleed. So my remedy that is workin for us is every other time Duoxo wipes and every other time Sudocream.

Thanks we will give anything a try at this point.

OP
BuddercupKelly

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

It worked!!!!!!! Just wanted you to know the wipes and some antibiotics are working, so hopefully he won't have to have surgery on his tail. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=10758]BuddercupKelly[/MENTION] I'm so glad your baby is feeling better! It's the worst feeling ever when they're sick. I'm glad everything worked out. I also wanted to give a shout out to [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] for giving the same advice to me when my Murray needed it :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It worked!!!!!!! Just wanted you to know the wipes and some antibiotics are working, so hopefully he won't have to have surgery on his tail. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

AWESOME!

MaxRuby

Apr 19, 2014
Connecticut
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max Ruby
How are you making out now? So glad to hear the wipes are working too. The reason why I ask is for our Max but on a side note our Ruby had a bleeding tushie and it ended up being a hemorrhoid! Which is uncommon but nothing is uncommon for Bulldogs! Our Max has a very deep tail pocket, which has brown ickyness with dead fur that comes out when cleaning. As soon as I think I get a hold on it and it is going away, 1 day missed of cleaning puts me right back to the start. I'm going to purchase the duoxo pads and / or malaceptic wipes, so I was wondering how you're making now?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.