Hearing a popping noise...

Cheryll

Jan 20, 2016
Country
Hawaii
Bulldog(s) Names
Miki
My english bulldog Miki is 10.5 yrs old. I hear a popping noise when she lays down on her belly, sits down, or when she is about to urinate. The sound is coming from her back area, I am assuming it is her hips or her joints. I was wondering if I would have to start giving her joint supplements or should I take her to the vet.

All her life she has been very active. Miki likes running across the field to get her ball and running with me while i'm on the bicycle. My husband and I have been travelling sometimes every 2-3weeks, and Miki has gained weight.

Is the popping due to her gaining weight and because of her age?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20151201_173802.jpg
    20151201_173802.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 123

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Welcome to EBN!!!! I'm sorry I don't have any advice or experience with the popping noise but have you tried using a joint supplement? Many here use Nujoint and rave about it! Good luck and keep us posted with how you make out! Love your bully's picture please post more we love pics and videos on here :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Wellcome to EBN! Most likely she has at least loose hip joints. It would not be too soon to start giving her some joint supplements. Fish oil is also good and if she's gained weight it would be very beneficial to loose it. If she is showng any discomfort you should take her to the vets and get some pain medication as well.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Welcome..id imagine at 10.5 years a popping noise from the hips wouldn't be too unusual but better to get it checked. I'm sure a joint supplement wouldn't hurt. I use Nu Vet..don't know if it's helping but no issues so far..Good luck and let us know. Get Miki up on that bike for some exercise ha ha. That's a great pic..she's a beauty!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... agree with the gnag, give a supplement and try to get the extra pounds off her too, it may be adding some stress to the joints. A good way is to cut back her kibble and add greens beans as a filler.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I would be off to the Vet asap as your dog sounds very active and until you get to the vet keep her/him non active , Bulldogs and joint issues are common , a supplement might not do much for you in the position you are in at the moment . The issue you might be painful also so a vet is a good choice at this point . All My guys are on a supplement and I would get a good one to give , but I would be off to the vet first
Welcome to EBN

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
At that age, yes joint supplements are almost essential. I would also have the vet run some xrays just to check for arthritis - at least you'll be able to see the areas where, and check for anything else and confirm nothing else is out of place. We also use Nujoint, and we've used Consequin.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online