spartysmom

Jan 4, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus Weston
A couple of months ago, I noticed the area around my bully's bottom to be very inflammed with a brown/reddish tint. He would rub his butt across the floor and try to itch it on his kennel. Also, his ears were bothering him as he kept shaking his head; I wouldn't be scared to say up to 30+ times a day. I took him to our local vet and she cleaned his ears out, prescribed him corticosteroids and neopredef powder to apply twice daily to his bottom. I gave him the full set of steriods and that seemed to help with the inflammation between his paws; however, the powder had no effect. I then was told by another English bully owner to put a small amount of cornstarch to his bottom. This seemed just to keep his bottom from having any further inflammation but not solving the problem. Also, his ears are once again inflammed, and I believe his right ear may be infected. What do I need to clean his ears out with and how should I combat the bottom problem? Any and all advice is very much appreciated from both me and Spartacus!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bottom of the problem is probably the food does not work for him.... What are you feeding.. Brand and protien?

OP
spartysmom

spartysmom

Jan 4, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus Weston
Bottom of the problem is probably the food does not work for him.... What are you feeding.. Brand and protien?

I feed him Purina Dog Chow and there's 21% crude protein.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to EBN. Christine is right, food is the culprit. Bulldogs do best on a good grain free food. Most avoid chicken as well. If you go to the home page and hit food and nutrition, you will find a list of food and their ratings. I think once you get him off the purine, you will see a huge difference. Just make sure when you switch you do a very slow transition. 3/4 cups of old food to 1/4 cup of new for a week then half and half for a week then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a week, then all new. Good luck.

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Definitely agree with above. It's the food..switching to the right food is the best idea. We feed Fromm's via the local pet store or Amazon when I have to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13624]Miss Charlotte[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] The first thought would be feeding a grain free food. Best of luck with your boy.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Purina is not very good food unfortunately, and that can cause a whole lot of problems. Like others have said, food switch is the key here.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Agree w/all regarding the food… I would take him to the vet and have his anals checked too. Scooting could be indicated of an infection down there and you don't want things to get worse.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I feed him Purina Dog Chow and there's 21% crude protein.

I would definitely get him off the Purina. Get him onto a quality food, grain free, chicken free. Here is a good list to go off of.... tells you the ratings of food. I would stick with a 3 or higher in Stars. You'll notice Purina is a 1.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Anything you can purchase in the grocery store, Walmart or bigger chains is usually not very good. If you decide to switch - be sure to do a slow transition - mixing his current food with the new one, little by little over the span of about 7-10 days... I promise you will see much improvement within a month or so once his body is rid of the Purina.... Keep us updated, and let us know how it goes!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would definitely get him off the Purina. Get him onto a quality food, grain free, chicken free. Here is a good list to go off of.... tells you the ratings of food. I would stick with a 3 or higher in Stars. You'll notice Purina is a 1.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Anything you can purchase in the grocery store, Walmart or bigger chains is usually not very good. If you decide to switch - be sure to do a slow transition - mixing his current food with the new one, little by little over the span of about 7-10 days... I promise you will see much improvement within a month or so once his body is rid of the Purina.... Keep us updated, and let us know how it goes!

:goodpost:
[MENTION=15281]spartysmom[/MENTION]

OP
spartysmom

spartysmom

Jan 4, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus Weston
Thank you all so much! This community is so helpful!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.