Thread: 10 year old girl with incontinence

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Question 10 year old girl with incontinence

Hi all. I'm new to this site. Hoping for some help with some issues we are having with our girl Bella. Bella is 10 years old and in general has been in pretty good health aside from typical bulldog skin/allergy issues. For this she had been treated with prednisone seasonally to help with general itchiness, paw licking, etc. She began having issues with incontinence about 6 months ago. This included going on the floor when we weren't home as well as peeing on our furniture several times. We were unsure if this was behavioral as we have a new baby (now 1 year old) or medical. The vet was unable to find anything wrong and suspected some cognitive dysfunction as well as anxiety. She had some other symptoms of anxiety such as pacing, whining, etc. We tried trazadone which helped her other issues but did nothing for the urinating.

About 3 months ago we ended up in the emergency vet with pancreatitis and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Our girl was very sick and spent about 4-5 days at the vet. She was having massive "raspberry jam" diarrhea and lots of vomiting/regurg, and not eating/drinking. During this time they also noticed her having issues with urine "leaking."

She seems to be back to her old self for the most party, however, since this time she seems to have become fully incontinent. Having accidents both on the floor and on her own bed (I suspect she goes in her sleep as I have never seen her actually squat and go on her bed). We have another dog and they often sleep together out of habit so obviously her urinating on the bed has caused both of them to need frequent bathing (he is a 9 year old bullmastiff with arthritis so bathing him is difficult on its own). They have their own beds but still prefer to sleep together. We've also had to gate her off from the rest of the house as she is ruining our floors and furniture and to keep the baby from crawling in her mess.

We are at a loss of what to do. Its to the point where we take her out and she just stands there as if she doesn't know what she is supposed to do. I hate that she is peeing on herself, and question if this is an end of life issue. I don't want her to suffer and she doesn't seem to be in pain. We currently put down lots of blankets with frequent washing. Have not tried diapers yet but that is probably what we will try next. Any particular brand/size recommendations? She is a 65lb girl.

Thanks in advance!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 10 year old girl with incontinence

I never thought I would say it but diapers are so easy it's ridiculous. Its nothing and is definitely worth a shot. I hope everything works out for you and her.

to EBN!

3. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

There are drugs for incontinence. They works in some cases and others they don't, but it's wotrh a try. What did the vet say about it?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Lyneye There is a product called Tinkle Trousers, which the girl can wear. They stay on, and work very well.Or,as Phil mentioned,diapers with suspenders.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your replies. The vet initially thought it was more of a cognitive issue where she was going in the house and then would not go outside, like she had forgotten where she was supposed to go. We had discussed starting amipryl (sp?) but since this was fairly expensive gave the trazadone a try first to see if that helped, which it did not. This was all before she got really sick in November, and obviously at that time our focus shifted toward her other medical issues. Since then, however it has gotten worse. I suspect that where she is now going on her bedding that it is a leaking issue in addition to a cognitive one. I will definitely follow up with the vet though. Does anyone have any recommendations for particular diapers that fit a bulldog's unique shape?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi! This article I wrote with the help of a family that only has diaper Bulldogs, (the padded bum crew). I hope it helps! Special Needs Bulldogs Forum - How to Diaper a Bulldog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

thank you!!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

@Lyneye, I used tinkle trousers with my incontinent boxer before we lost her. They are the most effective diapering system we ever tried. I've already passed mine on to others, but you can google them online. They do work.

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads