Lyneye

Jan 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi all. I'm new to this site. Hoping for some help with some issues we are having with our girl Bella. Bella is 10 years old and in general has been in pretty good health aside from typical bulldog skin/allergy issues. For this she had been treated with prednisone seasonally to help with general itchiness, paw licking, etc. She began having issues with incontinence about 6 months ago. This included going on the floor when we weren't home as well as peeing on our furniture several times. We were unsure if this was behavioral as we have a new baby (now 1 year old) or medical. The vet was unable to find anything wrong and suspected some cognitive dysfunction as well as anxiety. She had some other symptoms of anxiety such as pacing, whining, etc. We tried trazadone which helped her other issues but did nothing for the urinating.

About 3 months ago we ended up in the emergency vet with pancreatitis and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Our girl was very sick and spent about 4-5 days at the vet. She was having massive "raspberry jam" diarrhea and lots of vomiting/regurg, and not eating/drinking. During this time they also noticed her having issues with urine "leaking."

She seems to be back to her old self for the most party, however, since this time she seems to have become fully incontinent. Having accidents both on the floor and on her own bed (I suspect she goes in her sleep as I have never seen her actually squat and go on her bed). We have another dog and they often sleep together out of habit so obviously her urinating on the bed has caused both of them to need frequent bathing (he is a 9 year old bullmastiff with arthritis so bathing him is difficult on its own). They have their own beds but still prefer to sleep together. We've also had to gate her off from the rest of the house as she is ruining our floors and furniture and to keep the baby from crawling in her mess.

We are at a loss of what to do. Its to the point where we take her out and she just stands there as if she doesn't know what she is supposed to do. I hate that she is peeing on herself, and question if this is an end of life issue. I don't want her to suffer and she doesn't seem to be in pain. We currently put down lots of blankets with frequent washing. Have not tried diapers yet but that is probably what we will try next. Any particular brand/size recommendations? She is a 65lb girl.

Thanks in advance!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I never thought I would say it but diapers are so easy it's ridiculous. Its nothing and is definitely worth a shot. I hope everything works out for you and her.

:welcome: to EBN!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There are drugs for incontinence. They works in some cases and others they don't, but it's wotrh a try. What did the vet say about it?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15353]Lyneye[/MENTION] There is a product called Tinkle Trousers, which the girl can wear. They stay on, and work very well.Or,as Phil mentioned,diapers with suspenders.

OP
L

Lyneye

Jan 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you for your replies. The vet initially thought it was more of a cognitive issue where she was going in the house and then would not go outside, like she had forgotten where she was supposed to go. We had discussed starting amipryl (sp?) but since this was fairly expensive gave the trazadone a try first to see if that helped, which it did not. This was all before she got really sick in November, and obviously at that time our focus shifted toward her other medical issues. Since then, however it has gotten worse. I suspect that where she is now going on her bedding that it is a leaking issue in addition to a cognitive one. I will definitely follow up with the vet though. Does anyone have any recommendations for particular diapers that fit a bulldog's unique shape?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
[MENTION=15353]Lyneye[/MENTION], I used tinkle trousers with my incontinent boxer before we lost her. They are the most effective diapering system we ever tried. I've already passed mine on to others, but you can google them online. They do work.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online