Help Needed! My Rebar can't hold his food down.....

Rebars papa

Jan 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rebar
Rebar started vomiting Friday night, about an hour after his dinner. He has been fed the same thing since he could be switched to adult food. We checked and he has no fever, but he still can't hold his food. He has little to no appetite, but last night if I fed him one kernel at a time, he would eat. The only problem is that within a couple of hours, he vomited his dinner. Every once in a while, he'll show sighs that he's back to normal by being his goofy self. Then he will become very mellow and just sit real close to one of us. He does drink water and his peeing is fine, so I dont think we have to worry about his kidney's shutting down and his bowel movements are unusually small, but look normal. My wife and I are very scared and confused. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what's the deal?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hej [MENTION=15349]Rebars papa[/MENTION], welcome to EBN:) I'm sorry you're having problems with Rebar:( What comes to mind for me is a possible obstruction... could he have eaten something he shouldn't have? A bone, a piece of a plastic toy, a sock? anything? I would take him to the vet to be safe.

Please keep us posted on how he's doing, hugs to the little guy, hope he's feeling better soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree… if he's been vomiting since Friday I would call an emergency vet at this point.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree with Petra & Tracey, this isn't normal, please take him to Vet, asap.

Not wanting to scare you but it does sound like obstruction, can kill them.

Please let us know about him...praying over him now & sending y'all hugs!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15349]Rebars papa[/MENTION] I agree with all of the above. It certainly sounds like he has eaten something that he cannot pass. Hoping that you have taken him in to be checked. Please let us know how he is doing. Prayers that all will be well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rebar started vomiting Friday night, about an hour after his dinner. He has been fed the same thing since he could be switched to adult food. We checked and he has no fever, but he still can't hold his food. He has little to no appetite, but last night if I fed him one kernel at a time, he would eat. The only problem is that within a couple of hours, he vomited his dinner. Every once in a while, he'll show sighs that he's back to normal by being his goofy self. Then he will become very mellow and just sit real close to one of us. He does drink water and his peeing is fine, so I dont think we have to worry about his kidney's shutting down and his bowel movements are unusually small, but look normal. My wife and I are very scared and confused. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what's the deal?

agree with the gang.... i would be at the vet for obstruction check

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Sounds like an obstruction to me, and having been there done that, the longer you wait the more complicated the solution can be. Intestines can become perforated, etc. I'd see the doctor asap. A quick X-ray might help diagnose quickly.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Late to the thread - but yes, any updates on Rebar???

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The gang gave you great advice as far as obstruction. how is he feeling now? If you brought him to the vet they most likely did an xray. If it showed nothing and he still isnt the same, ask for an ultrasound. Sometimes the xray will not show certain things that an ultrasound will. Good luck and please update when you can.

OP
R

Rebars papa

Jan 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rebar
Welp, Rebar's fine. He back to his goofy self. We took him in and the vet found nothing. No blockage and his blood work was fine. He did have a slight fever, but the vet said it was nothing to worry about. She gave him a shot for nausea and sent us on our way. The only thing we can think of is that he got out one day and he loves playing in our barn. We have a pair of barn cats and he must have eaten their poo and got sick.

Thank you to everyone for your concerns. We can relax and enjoy our bully again!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Glad to hear he is back to normal... Cat poo is like crack to a dog-- they can't resist

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy to hear that Rebar is a-ok!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online