ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We first noticed it yesterday, Wally had some blood near his rectumā€¦ after we got a better look we noticed that the blood was coming from a spot near his rectum so I'm assuming that it is his anal gland. I called my vet, and since she was off yesterday we decided to bring him in this morning unless things got worse. He seemed okay yesterday, but this morning he's been laying around so I'm headed out here in about an hour.

I had posted previous threads about his "strange" behavior lashing out at people in the evenings and growling/barking at his rear end. We had taken him to the vet a few months ago, and she had checked his anals and said they were fine. I swear all of this is connectedā€¦ has anyone had issue w/the anal glands?!! This is a first for us...

I appreciate any prayers, we have had a pretty rough week and this seems to be the icing on the cake. I had a childhood friend get killed in a car accident, we have zero heat downstairs so we are waiting on parts, and now this... It NEVER SEEMS TO STOP!!! :gloom:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tracey, I'm sorry to hear this about Wally! I'm glad you'll be taking him into the vet this a.m. though. Once they look him over and figure out what's going on, your mind will be at ease and Wally will start to feel better. Try to stay calm and positive (I know it's hard). I'll be praying that everything works out FINE for your sweet boy. Hang in there! (((((((HUGS))))))

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Henny gave wise words, dear Tracey...hang in there!

Give us an update on Walter, you know I'm starting
prayers over him right now!

Over you & all of yours, I'm so very sorry about your
friend. I send loving hugs filled with compassion <3

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Hi Tracey and good morning. I'm sorry to hear about my writing partner Walter. I believe Walter will be leaving this chapter out in his infamous book, "How To Make My Mommy Crazy."

Has Walter been having difficulty in passing his stools? Have you noticed any blood in the stools? Are the stools tarry in color? It might be gland related or there might be an anal fissure. Tarry stools would indicate GI tract bleeding.

The bottom line is you are taking him to see the vet which is exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Give my writing partner and co-author a hug and tell him Jewel and Bentley say hello. And Willow, be nice to your big brother.

P.S. Sorry to hear about not having heat in the downstairs. If you have a fireplace, you might want to fire it up or get some space heaters (do not leave unattended). I do not know how cold it is in you neck of the woods but I would be concerned about my water pipes.

Get well soon Walter. --rj

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh poor Wally, maybe he just has an infection of some sort. I have no experience with this, but the lashing out, etc. means something must be bothering the poor guy. Prayers that its nothing serious and he'll be on the mend with some meds! Keep us posted.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Sorry with the flurry of unpleasant events. Prayers coming your way. I hope Walter's issues are discerned so he can be back in his usual self in no time.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Wally, and poor you. I'm so sorry you're dealing with so much at once. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend passing away, that's so sad. I hope Wally is okay, please keep,U.S. Posted on what the vet says. Keeping you and Wally in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
praying all is ok, and everyone is right hang in there it will surely get better :pray2:

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
:( I hope everything is alright with Wally, and that your bad week ends here!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry to hear Wally is not feeling well, Tracey. Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes your way.:hug:

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So sorry Tracey for everything that's going on. Lots of hugs to you and Wally!:pray2::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: I don't have any experience really with anal glands, other than to say that when I thought it was that when I went in with Murray it ended up being a tail pocket issue. I hope you guys get good news this morning at the vet, please let us know how you make out. My condolences to you about your friend, I hope they're resting peacefully and I know they were lucky to have you as a friend :) my condolences also about the heat, heating issues are the worst!! Keeping you in my prayers

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Poor little Walter.

The only thing I know about anal glands are how Brutus' stink.

I will pray they only need expressed and nothing more!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Poor Wally. Let us know what the vet says as soon as you can. The little guy will be in my thoughts. As for you, a nice big glass of wine is in order! I will help two fold, you will relax and it will warm you up!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just got back from the vets, it was his anal gland. It was infected and causing him a LOT of painā€¦ so she cleaned him up, gave him a pain shot and antibiotics. BOY was he mad when she had to express that gland, they put a soft muzzle on himā€¦ Lol He's doing great right now, running around the house since he can't have his ball because it's pouring down rain. ALSO he heating co called and they are fixing the system this afternoon so we won't freeze to death this weekend. They are predicting SNOWā€¦

SO thankful for all of you and all the prayers and good wishes. YOU guys are awesome, and keep me sane!!! :heartsign:

Most Reactions