Could Joey Be Lactose Intolerant?-Not so Good on Greek Yogurt

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all! I started Joey on really good, organic, plain yogurt and she LOVED IT. However her stools got very runny.....Since stopping the yogurt stools are back to normal. Has anyone else had this experience?

Also, I want to start her on 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, the organic, unrefined seems to be the best. Should I be concerned that this too will affect her stools? I know its not "dairy based" but still......

OK thank you in advance for your advice! Here's a recent photo of my girl....Sleeping under my desk LOL
IMG_3098.jpg

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aww Joey is so cute. We don't feed yogurt but I've been thinking about it to boost probiotics. If it doesn't work for Joey, then by all means, you were right to stop feeding it to her. Coconut oil will affect her independently of how yogurt does, so I would just watch for a while, good or bad :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
aww Joey is so cute. We don't feed yogurt but I've been thinking about it to boost probiotics. If it doesn't work for Joey, then by all means, you were right to stop feeding it to her. Coconut oil will affect her independently of how yogurt does, so I would just watch for a while, good or bad :)

Thank you! I never thought that something she loved and was so good for her would affect her tummy badly. I will keep an eye out when I start the coconut oil for sure. Your Lola is adorable!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would stop the yogurt for certain… Wally would throw up coconut oil, so I ended up switching him to the salmon oil. I would wait till you are certain the loose stools have stopped before starting w/the coconut oil.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Now it depends on how much Yogurt you gave to Joey. If you are talking about half a tub of yogurt then I might see why her stool got very runny. If on the other hand we are talking a tablespoon or so, then yes, I would stop the Yogurt all together.

Bentley and Jewel get a Tbs of yogurt every other day or so as a treat. Bentley does not need a probiotic because he drinks a lot of water and his stools are fine. But if by chance I kind of go overboard with treats when doing training, then Bentley's stools are runny. Jewel gets a daily Vetri-Science probiotic after her dinner meal which seems to help her out a lot. Jewel doesn't drink a lot of water so I add some to all of her meals.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is totally possible.... our first boy, NItschke was very allergic to all dairy.... vomit and watery poo would be the signs. As others stated, I would stop it and let his system settle down before introducing anything new

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks all! I stopped the greek yogurt about 3 weeks ago, just after Christmas. Her stools were totally back to normal within a day. I will keep her away from anything new for now and try the coconut oil in a month or so.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Fresh, not canned sauerkraut is a good natural source of probiotics. If you wan't to try that start with a small dose since they may not like the taste.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online