Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Hello All,

We had a bit of an adventure last night with Boris and was curious if anyone else has had this occurrence?

Last night when I got home Kelsey had stated that Boris had been humping his bed a lot that evening. I ran to my office quick to fire up my work laptop and walked out into the living room to find Boris just going to town on his bed... I pushed him off the bed and noticed that he was FULLY erect (I saw parts I didn't know existed...) I gave him some water and was trying to calm him down, but 20 minutes later and he was raging and ready to go down there... A couple minute later he had started whimpering in pain so I starting doing some searches online (hope I'm not a list now) and was getting ready to bring him into the ER Vet cause I had read it can be very serious if it stays out too long. I finally read a good thread where someone instructed me to gently turn him on his back and put a warm wet rag over his private area. I did just that and right away it started to go away, but he started to whimper and get really aggressive towards me since I was holding him down so he couldn't bite at it. This went on for about 10 minutes and we were finally back to normal, but I've never seen or heard a dog in so much pain so I worry about what happened. I've called my Vet and they stated I could bring him in, but if it was back to normal not to worry unless it happens again...

It was scary and I don't want it to happen when one of us is at work and he's alone...

Any tips or suggestions for humping?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well...glad that resolved itself but if it continues to happen take him in
as it's not always a sexual thing but could be a medical thing. Make sure
you do tell your Vet next visit anyways so can be checked on. He could
have a rash (on inside of sheath) or a fungal infection (yeast) or UTI, etc

Please update us, prayers for him that it's nothing & no further issues with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well...glad that resolved itself but if it continues to happen take him in
as it's not always a sexual thing but could be a medical thing. Make sure
you do tell your Vet next visit anyways so can be checked on. He could
have a rash (on inside of sheath) or a fungal infection (yeast) or UTI, etc

Please update us, prayers for him that it's nothing & no further issues with it.

agreed.... this has happen with Cheli (Frenchie) and it turned out to be dry skin ...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I hate to say this but if you see him do it again in the future don't stop him... If you could even "help him" if needed....Let him get it out!

He may get some pre- semen stuck in the canal and I'm not a man but I hear that can be very painful. I believe men call it "blue balls." I'm certain dogs can get the same "feelings" as men.

Yes [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] I've left an open invite for you to say something here, better make it good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
This subject is surely a trend as this is the third episode in the last month or so.

Our Bentley gets aroused everyday with Jewel but not to the point where he is in agony. We tell him to put his toy away and tell Jewel not to tease Bentley. I constantly tell Bentley that he only gets so many of those because it is the leading cause of Burns's amaurosis. :yes:

Maybe a first aid post is in order. :unsure:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well this is what I found on pet md.

Paraphimosis and Phimosis in Dogs

Phimosis is a condition that causes a dog to be unable to protrude its penis from its outer orifice. Paraphimosis, on the other hand, refers to the dog's inability to retract its penis back in to the sheath.

Both of these medical conditions can occur in male dogs and cats, and at any age. If you would like to learn more about how phimosis and paraphimosis affect cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

Symptoms and Types

The dog's inability to protrude its penis may go unnoticed until it tries to copulate with a female. Also, if the dog is having trouble urinating, it may be a sign of this medical disorder. If the animal experiences problems retracting its penis into the sheath, you may notice it licking the exterior of its penis. If it occurs over a prolonged period, there could also be fluid accumulation in the tissues (edema) or swelling in the area.

Causes

The inability to retract the penis (paraphimosis) often occurs when the dog has a small opening (orifice), and in many cases is a birth defect. If the dog is unable to protrude the penis (phimosis), it may have swelling, or hairs that are obstructing the penis. In some cases, injury or a neurological disease can cause this medical condition.

Diagnosis

With paraphimosis, the veterinarian will be able to view the exposed penis and/or gland areas upon examination. The goal is to identify the underlying medical cause for the condition for treatment options.

Treatment

In some instances surgery can help enlarge the opening of the sheath (orifice), making it possible for the penis to protrude. Also, veterinarians can remove tissue surrounding the penile area to allow for a normal, functioning penis.

Immediate treatment is necessary for dogs that are unable to retract its penis into the sheath, as damage to the tissues can occur. Techniques to repair or aid in this medical condition can include removing any foreign objects that are present, lubricating the penile area for retraction, surgical enhancement of the orifice area if it is too small, and catheters if the dog is unable to urinate. At times, ointments and topical medications are prescribed to correct phimosis.

Living and Management

With treatment, both conditions have a positive prognosis. However, dogs that are unable to retract their penis into the shaft need immediate medical attention, as there are several complications that can occur if the penis is left outside of the body for extended periods of time.

Prevention

There are currently no known preventative methods for either medical condition.

I hope this helps. --rj

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you very much for posting this valuable information.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Hello All,

We had a bit of an adventure last night with Boris and was curious if anyone else has had this occurrence?

Last night when I got home Kelsey had stated that Boris had been humping his bed a lot that evening. I ran to my office quick to fire up my work laptop and walked out into the living room to find Boris just going to town on his bed... I pushed him off the bed and noticed that he was FULLY erect (I saw parts I didn't know existed...) I gave him some water and was trying to calm him down, but 20 minutes later and he was raging and ready to go down there... A couple minute later he had started whimpering in pain so I starting doing some searches online (hope I'm not a list now) and was getting ready to bring him into the ER Vet cause I had read it can be very serious if it stays out too long. I finally read a good thread where someone instructed me to gently turn him on his back and put a warm wet rag over his private area. I did just that and right away it started to go away, but he started to whimper and get really aggressive towards me since I was holding him down so he couldn't bite at it. This went on for about 10 minutes and we were finally back to normal, but I've never seen or heard a dog in so much pain so I worry about what happened. I've called my Vet and they stated I could bring him in, but if it was back to normal not to worry unless it happens again...

It was scary and I don't want it to happen when one of us is at work and he's alone...

Any tips or suggestions for humping?
Hi we have experienced this with our neutered male and we have also had to lay him down and put a cold rag on it.He usually does this when we pull up to the vet or when he's super excited.He was fussy but I don't think he had pain.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I hate to say this but if you see him do it again in the future don't stop him... If you could even "help him" if needed....Let him get it out!

He may get some pre- semen stuck in the canal and I'm not a man but I hear that can be very painful. I believe men call it "blue balls." I'm certain dogs can get the same "feelings" as men.

Yes @Chumley I've left an open invite for you to say something here, better make it good!

well I'm going to take the high road here and speak in strictly helpful, medical terminology. In men Priapism is a potentially painful medical condition in which the erect penis does not return to its flaccid state, despite the lack of any sexual stimulation. . Ongoing penile erections for more than 6 hours can be classified as priapism." This is very dangerous and medical treatment must be sought immediately. There was a dear friend on EBN years ago who suffered this malady who went by the name of Casper. The blood ran from his brain to his penis so often he eventually went mad and was placed in a sanitarium deep in the bayou in New Orleans where he remains to this day...fully eject and wrasslin' alligators.
Im not sure this post helped but it brought back pleasant memories of Daves gone by.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:faint: never thought you'd go there Mr. Chumley!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko use to have full erections before castrated since he was about 6 months old. He never humped anything, exept air when the "epsiodes started". They never lasted that long though, max 10-15 minutes. He was never whimpering though, only looked like he was in some discomfort. I just left him alone and he was ok after a while. Sometimes the tip of his penis was left out for longer and that did look like it could be painful, but no whimpering. Sometimes when it was starting I could distract him with a toy or something that he liked and it would go away, but at times there was nothing to do but just wait it out.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online