Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I just finished reading [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] post about Regina going into heat and Jackie panicking. It was a very helpful thread, and the advice from [MENTION=13485]raghu[/MENTION] made me laugh!

It's the middle of the night, and I'm not sure if Sophie is going into heat or not. She is almost 8 months old, and I have an appointment to have her spayed later this month :unsure:
She woke me up, licking the bed. I checked to see what was going on, and it seemed she has some slimy brownish discharge. That is really it, no swelling. I tried making some temporary panties by cutting the legs off of a pair of my panty hose, and sticking a pad to them. However, she immediately wanted to go outside. I took them off, and when she came back in, I put her in the crate. Sh is sleeping just fine in there, so I will reevaluate the situation in the morning.

Not sure if this is heat or not? The Bulldog vet I took Tucker to for neutering did tell me that small Bulldogs tend to go into heat early. She is a petite girl, so lucky us!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    664 KB · Views: 119

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Looks like Sophie is going into her first heat. Slimy brown discharge is the first signs of the cycle. The first cycle is usually triggered by body weight; if she is 35lbs there is a good chance her body is readying up for heat. Genital and teat enlargement is clearly seen around day 7. I guess Tucker is a male; he is your best bet for confirmation. Males will know a few days earlier than the actual physical signs start showing up in the female.
Diapers, panties, napkins, whatever butt-padding works for your pup is mandatory for your and your dog's comfort. Don't be swayed by she wants to go outside, so you need to take them off. During heat some females experience drip peeing; mine did and I learned the hard way. Luckily for us, we have tiled floor and no carpets; so I could just mop up with vinegar to take away any unpleasant odor. Also in India we have the opportunity to air out the house year round; it is never too cold. The trick is to have butt-padding handy and change 4-6 times if necessary.
Expect mood swings, appetite changes, thirst or lack of it and clingy behavior. Pamper Sophie and Tucker. They are going through a tough time.

The rest I have covered in the other thread.

Cheers,
Raghu

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just finished reading @g8erjackie post about Regina going into heat and Jackie panicking. It was a very helpful thread, and the advice from @raghu made me laugh!

It's the middle of the night, and I'm not sure if Sophie is going into heat or not. She is almost 8 months old, and I have an appointment to have her spayed later this month :unsure:
She woke me up, licking the bed. I checked to see what was going on, and it seemed she has some slimy brownish discharge. That is really it, no swelling. I tried making some temporary panties by cutting the legs off of a pair of my panty hose, and sticking a pad to them. However, she immediately wanted to go outside. I took them off, and when she came back in, I put her in the crate. Sh is sleeping just fine in there, so I will reevaluate the situation in the morning.

Not sure if this is heat or not? The Bulldog vet I took Tucker to for neutering did tell me that small Bulldogs tend to go into heat early. She is a petite girl, so lucky us!

how is she doing or, better question might be.... how are you doing?

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13485]raghu[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], we are all doing well so far! My biggest challenge has been finding the right size pull ups to fit over her hips! Luckily I found some denim panties with Velcro that are a perfect fit. I've had to wash them daily though. Yesterday, I left her in the crate and Tucker outside the crate. Somehow her panties ended up outside the crate, and wet with Tucker's slobber. Crazy bullies!

She's been a trooper, and I've been rewarding her with lots of frozen blueberries, when she lets me put her panties on.

Thanks for asking!

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Mine is going through her 2nd heat and this time around it has been better preparation.
Bella runs away every time she sees me. And Rudy is constantly trying to get her panties off.
She is very opportunistic. She seduces Rudy until he helps in getting rid of the butt padding and then she runs away.
Mamy Poko pants XXL worked for us. I put this on first, then son's old briefs with a safety pin to hold it snug in place.

Cheers,
Raghu

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
In the previous post the last sentence should read
Put the pull up pants on your bully first, then briefs with a safety pin to hold it snug in place."

When one has a bully, thinking and writing get messed up and can convey pretty funny imagery :)

Cheers,
Raghu

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13485]raghu[/MENTION], it's been about a week since I noticed that Sophie was in heat. She now does not seem to have any discharge. Does this mean we are done with the panties?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION] Female dogs are usually in heat for at least 3 weeks. I had a female who had been 3 weeks,let her outside,heard a yelp,and there she was tied to a standard poodle! She had 6 pups! Be careful. At this point, she should have some swelling.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION] Female dogs are usually in heat for at least 3 weeks. I had a female who had been 3 weeks,let her outside,heard a yelp,and there she was tied to a standard poodle! She had 6 pups! Be careful. At this point, she should have some swelling.

The strange thing is that she hasn't had any swelling, even in her teats. However I do keep a close eye on her when I let her out. I do have a privacy fence, and I haven't really seen any loose dogs in the neighborhood.

Thanks for your advice.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
I will write down some experiences I made over the years, I hope there is something helpful included:
My Püppy will be seven years old next month, her next cycle will be her 11th. Every female is different. Especially the first heat can be different from average descriptions (swelling, amount of discharge, length,...). As Lynn I also know a female who was guarded for 21 days, day 22 she was walked with an intact male, result: a litter. Therefore I always add 7 days of guarding and carefulness, which means 28 days no contact with intact males, no walking without leash (only in the fenced garden and even there only with supervision). A litter only can result at a couple of days of the heat. When those special days take place differs from each individual. Normally it is to be expected after day 9. Mostly these special days occur in a timespan about day 12 to day16 - - BUT every female is different. Even the most well behaved female could try to run off on those days! When my Püppy hears a dog barking in a distance on one of those special days she wants to run to find out if it is an intact male who barks there... She would like to be outside and walking (= searching males) the whole time on those days. The female's behaviour can change very much and show when it is crucial - but some females don't show any signs.
Good luck with your sweet little Sophie:hug: Supervising her is the most important thing :police:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.