Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banfield Wellness Plan (Insurance)

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilma
    Likes (Received)

Default Banfield Wellness Plan (Insurance)

Has anyone tried the Banfield Wellness Plan (insurance) for their dog? It is associated with Petsmart. I have heard good things from other owners.

Dog Wellness Plans - Optimum Wellness Plans - Banfield Pet HospitalĀ®

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Banfield Wellness Plan (Insurance)

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishLove View Post
    Has anyone tried the Banfield Wellness Plan (insurance) for their dog? It is associated with Petsmart. I have heard good things from other owners.

Dog Wellness Plans - Optimum Wellness Plans - Banfield Pet HospitalĀ®
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

please no, I have heard horrible, awful things about Banfield. I even had a friend with it, when her dog got sick they did surgeries, and over medicated the dog. She finally ended up taking the dog to a regular stand alone vet, and that vet told her the dog never needed surgery - only a certain antibiotic. At the end of the day its your decision, but I just have heard bad things about them, and with our breed being so specific & sensitive - I would highly recommend you look for a "Bulldog Experienced Vet"

Not sure where you are located - but here is a link to some bully experienced vets - English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes CCandMurray, 2BullyMama, Cali Doll liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I would wholeheartedly discourage you from going with banfield's plan, and from using them as your primary care vet.

They make it sound great, 'it's the best deal, you'll save money!'. But... you really won't.

They MORE than make up for the 'free visits' by prescribing unneeded meds and tests. They suggested I do a $300 allergy test on Frank, who was about 4-5 months old at the time. Little did I know that's way too young to do an allergy test, the results were useless! That among many other awful experiences, and soooo many undeed meds prescribed to us. Every single time we went in there 'Oh I see he's got a little nasal discharge - antiboitics ASAP, on I see he coughed once - antibiotics ASAP'.

I was a new bulldog owner at the time and placed all of my trust in the professionals, if they said he needed antibiotics, I gave them to him because I trusted that they had Frank's best interest in mind.

I always, always left there with a bill ranging from 100-300. Oh, and the wellness, plan... you're literally locked into that. Even if an animal passes away, you still have to pay your wellness plan subscription in full. I think that's awful.

All that being said, if you liked the vet you had at banfield, and feel you can trust them, go with your gut. I know not every banfield is like mine. But at the end of the day petsmart/banfield is a corporation, and corporations are all about profit. Oh I almost forgot! The cherry on top to my whole experience, when I finally found a new vet, I had to go to banfield and get all of franks records printed off. They charged me an 8 dollar printing fee. lol.

5. Likes CCandMurray, 2BullyMama, Cali Doll liked this post
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    I would wholeheartedly discourage you from going with banfield's plan, and from using them as your primary care vet.

They make it sound great, 'it's the best deal, you'll save money!'. But... you really won't.

They MORE than make up for the 'free visits' by prescribing unneeded meds and tests. They suggested I do a $300 allergy test on Frank, who was about 4-5 months old at the time. Little did I know that's way too young to do an allergy test, the results were useless! That among many other awful experiences, and soooo many undeed meds prescribed to us. Every single time we went in there 'Oh I see he's got a little nasal discharge - antiboitics ASAP, on I see he coughed once - antibiotics ASAP'.

I was a new bulldog owner at the time and placed all of my trust in the professionals, if they said he needed antibiotics, I gave them to him because I trusted that they had Frank's best interest in mind.

I always, always left there with a bill ranging from 100-300. Oh, and the wellness, plan... you're literally locked into that. Even if an animal passes away, you still have to pay your wellness plan subscription in full. I think that's awful.

All that being said, if you liked the vet you had at banfield, and feel you can trust them, go with your gut. I know not every banfield is like mine. But at the end of the day petsmart/banfield is a corporation, and corporations are all about profit. Oh I almost forgot! The cherry on top to my whole experience, when I finally found a new vet, I had to go to banfield and get all of franks records printed off. They charged me an 8 dollar printing fee. lol.

So glad you left them, they are horrible! And thanks for sharing your experience, Madie.

My whole heart, Tyson.

7. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I've never heard a good thing about Banfield. I do know that a bulldog died in their care here in California

Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris Bullski
    Likes (Received)

I have a friend who worked for them and said that he would never ever use them. I use Trupanion and they have been amazing. Sure it's a bit more per month, but it's paid for itself

I currently am paying 65 a month for Boris with a 200 dollar deductible through Trupanion and the coverage I've gotten on past emergencies was 90%

10. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilma
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just create a savings account and regularly put money in there each 2 weeks or month.

12. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoimangos View Post
    I have a friend who worked for them and said that he would never ever use them. I use Trupanion and they have been amazing. Sure it's a bit more per month, but it's paid for itself

I currently am paying 65 a month for Boris with a 200 dollar deductible through Trupanion and the coverage I've gotten on past emergencies was 90%
    i just did an online quote with trupanion and my 200 dollar deductible came out to $190! :O
    Bummer.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by megdav View Post
    i just did an online quote with trupanion and my 200 dollar deductible came out to $190! :O
    Bummer.
    $190 a month? That doesn't sound right.

My whole heart, Tyson.

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    $190 a month? That doesn't sound right.
    ikr? i checked again and that's what it said. maybe because Moobear is 5? or because of where I live?
    I checked Healthy Paws and that came out as $90 for 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible....

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by megdav View Post
    ikr? i checked again and that's what it said. maybe because Moobear is 5? or because of where I live?
    I checked Healthy Paws and that came out as $90 for 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible....
    Just seems high... I wonder why. Tyson is about to be 10 - I pay $64 a month through VPI. When I first signed up like 7 years ago it started at around $34 a month. I wonder why they are coming in so high. Our deductible is $250 also. We only have the emergency and major illness one...

My whole heart, Tyson.

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Just seems high... I wonder why. Tyson is about to be 10 - I pay $64 a month through VPI. When I first signed up like 7 years ago it started at around $34 a month. I wonder why they are coming in so high. Our deductible is $250 also. We only have the emergency and major illness one...
    I checked VPI major medical w/250 ded and it came out to $42...that's better lol
    so you like VPI?

18. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads