Help Needed! My 5 month old bulldog ate half of a tiny greenie

jackiedelrey

Dec 9, 2015
CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
OKAY, so let me just start off by saying I wasn't sure where to post this question so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right spot!
Anyways, maybe I could get some advice from ya'll. Also, I am a first time puppy/dog owner so I am a huge worry wart when it comes to the health and well being of my sweet boy Watson.
My english bulldog Watson who is 5 months recently ate half of a teenie greenie. :cursing:
Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 10.15.24 PM.png
SORRY IF THAT PHOTO IS LARGE.
My neighbor who owns a yorkie gave one to me because she said her dog loves them and they are really good for their teeth. I had seen Greenies at Petco before and, also a ton of my friends who had dogs growing up gave them to their dogs so I didn't really think much of it.
ANYWAYS, I decided to give him a little nibble on one while we were on the couch watching TV and all of a sudden I looked over and half of it was missing. I heard no choking or even swallowing at all. So weird. I looked everywhere on the couch and I found nothing. He for sure swallowed it because I have hardwood floors and I didn't hear anything drop at all either.
I started to panic so I googled, and that's when I started to panic even more. DEAR GOD, these things are horrible for dogs and also they shouldn't have them until 6 months I guess???...so now I feel like a terrible mom.
I'm reading all these horrible things like they can become lodged in their intestines and they have to have surgery. Horrible. This happened about an hour ago and so far he's keeping water down and we played for a half hour straight and he was acting totally normal. Upbeat and chasing his ball that he loves. In fact when i took the other half of the greenie away he was whining and jumping on me to give him more. Sigh....
I feel really foolish for giving this horrible treat to him. He's taking a little nap right now before his last potty trip outside for the night but I still worry that his tummy may be upset.

Sorry for rambling. I know this isn't the place to seek professional help and if he ends up acting weird, vomiting, etc before or in the AM I of course will take him to the vet. I guess I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has had this experience?

Thank you!

-Jacqueline <3

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok… first of all Welcome to EBN!!! If your puppy is acting normal, eating and pooping regularly then I wouldn't panic… other signs of an obstruction are vomiting, excessive drooling, and diarrhea. I would keep an close eye on him to make sure that everything seems normal, but he may just digest the greenie. I have bought those in the past, but it worried me how FAST they could chew them up. BEST chew toys for bulldogs are antlers and nylabones. Keep us posted on how he is doing…

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi Jacqueline [MENTION=15183]jackiedelrey[/MENTION], and WeLcOmE to EBN:) Sorry you're having a scare:( I'm not familiar with this product... is it a chew toy? It looks like a brittle thing? Maybe it dissolves? Hope it passes quickly:hug:

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
OKAY, so let me just start off by saying I wasn't sure where to post this question so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right spot!
Anyways, maybe I could get some advice from ya'll. Also, I am a first time puppy/dog owner so I am a huge worry wart when it comes to the health and well being of my sweet boy Watson.
My english bulldog Watson who is 5 months recently ate half of a teenie greenie. :cursing:
View attachment 94735
SORRY IF THAT PHOTO IS LARGE.
My neighbor who owns a yorkie gave one to me because she said her dog loves them and they are really good for their teeth. I had seen Greenies at Petco before and, also a ton of my friends who had dogs growing up gave them to their dogs so I didn't really think much of it.
ANYWAYS, I decided to give him a little nibble on one while we were on the couch watching TV and all of a sudden I looked over and half of it was missing. I heard no choking or even swallowing at all. So weird. I looked everywhere on the couch and I found nothing. He for sure swallowed it because I have hardwood floors and I didn't hear anything drop at all either.
I started to panic so I googled, and that's when I started to panic even more. DEAR GOD, these things are horrible for dogs and also they shouldn't have them until 6 months I guess???...so now I feel like a terrible mom.
I'm reading all these horrible things like they can become lodged in their intestines and they have to have surgery. Horrible. This happened about an hour ago and so far he's keeping water down and we played for a half hour straight and he was acting totally normal. Upbeat and chasing his ball that he loves. In fact when i took the other half of the greenie away he was whining and jumping on me to give him more. Sigh....
I feel really foolish for giving this horrible treat to him. He's taking a little nap right now before his last potty trip outside for the night but I still worry that his tummy may be upset.

Sorry for rambling. I know this isn't the place to seek professional help and if he ends up acting weird, vomiting, etc before or in the AM I of course will take him to the vet. I guess I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has had this experience?

Thank you!

-Jacqueline <3
I would say not to worry much as my Boris swallowed half the Jumbo sized one my GF gave him. Id advise against the greenies moving forward as bulldogs aren't known for chewing and will just swallow stuff whole.

I tested putting one in liquid for a couple hours and it breaks down and gets slimy so I tried not to worry

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN..... as others have stated.... trash the rest of the bag, and watch your baby carefully, as long as not signs of obstruction (vomit, runny poo, lethargic) he should be fine.

Antlers, marrow bones, kongs and nylabones at the best to buy for bullies

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I. Sorry you're going through this worry with Watson, and I know it's easy to be worried and scared. You have already been given great advice above. I have had a few scares with my guys swallowing stuff. My male Bulldozer loves eating sweat socks, and he has swallowed socks on 4 different occasions. We've been very lucky that he's always either pooped them out or threw them up. Only once did he show any signs of having a obstruction ( vomiting, diarrhea, drooling from the mouth, and lethargy). I brought him to the vet, and she took some X-rays, gave him some IV fluids, some laxative medication, pain medication, and sent him home with a high fibre canned dog food. He pooped the sock out later that evening. I wouldn't worry too much about a small piece of Greenies, Watson will probably digest it, or he may throw it up or poop it out. Just keep an eye on him for the signs of obstruction, and watch his poop for the next week to see if he passes it. Take him to the vet if he is showing any of the signs of obstruction or if his eating, drinking or usual habits change. When Dozer swallowed other socks, he never showed any signs of being sick, he ate, drank, played and slept normal, and then one day he either threw up or pooped out a sock. I never knew he had swallowed one on the other occasions.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I hate those Greenies things for just this reason! Strong chewers break them up into bits and eat them or swallow them whole. Your pup will likely poop it out, so just keep an eye on him. When Ruckus was little he ate a few buttons off my tufted couch and a day later out they came...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.