General Question: Bulldog Problems (Chin Acne & Ear Infections)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Hi. I am new to the site and haven't had a chance to look around yet so these may have already been answered. I am also a first time dog owner as an adult.

I'm looking for help with the following
-My 8 month old English bulldog is constantly getting chin acne. It is so bad sometimes that every time he knocks his chin he will break it open. I have tried cleaning with witch hazel and applying cocunut oil as a healthy moisturizer and that helps a little but does not eliminate the probelem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
-He is also constantly getting red ears or what I would consider small ear infections. He will tolerate a wipe with fluids on it (I have find a blend of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol do the best), but he will not tolerate having something squirted into his ear. He will bite hard if I try. Any suggestions on what to try or get him to tolerate it?
-I live in the North East and we get some cold winters. I need help finding a coat that will fit with his girth and length.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi [MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] unfortunately I don't have any advice on the ear infections or the acne but Murray and I are experiencing the cold winters too! Not sure how much your boy weighs but Murray is 50 lbs at 9 months I got his coat at American eagle, they were very reasonable in price I think actually buy one get one half off their line for dogs is called American beagle. Good luck!

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Fezzik is 52lbs and still growing. Thanks for the tip I will check it out.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi. I am new to the site and haven't had a chance to look around yet so these may have already been answered. I am also a first time dog owner as an adult.

I'm looking for help with the following
-My 8 month old English bulldog is constantly getting chin acne. It is so bad sometimes that every time he knocks his chin he will break it open. I have tried cleaning with witch hazel and applying cocunut oil as a healthy moisturizer and that helps a little but does not eliminate the probelem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
-He is also constantly getting red ears or what I would consider small ear infections. He will tolerate a wipe with fluids on it (I have find a blend of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol do the best), but he will not tolerate having something squirted into his ear. He will bite hard if I try. Any suggestions on what to try or get him to tolerate it?
-I live in the North East and we get some cold winters. I need help finding a coat that will fit with his girth and length.

HI - Welcome to EBN :)

Chin Acne - are you keeping it dry? Alot of times its just that, making sure it stays dry - especially after they eat or drink. You can apply some neosporin to the current open wounds, keep it dry other than that after he drinks, etc and give it a few days.

As far as the ears go, Tyson won't let me squirt anything into his ears either. What I do is place the cleaner/ointment/etc onto the tip of a cotton ball, then place the cotton ball in his ear, and rub it in.

What are you currently feeding him?

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
He gets the Blue Buffalo Freedom (grain free) puppy food. I mix in pumpkin and coconut oil. His treats aren't grain free but he seems to do fine with those. I haven't switched to adult food for him yet.

I have been making sure to wipe the pumpkin off his face after he eats, but he has bad break outs from time to time. The cold weather doesn't seem to help since he sticks his face in everything.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He gets the Blue Buffalo Freedom (grain free) puppy food. I mix in pumpkin and coconut oil. His treats aren't grain free but he seems to do fine with those. I haven't switched to adult food for him yet.

I have been making sure to wipe the pumpkin off his face after he eats, but he has bad break outs from time to time. The cold weather doesn't seem to help since he sticks his face in everything.

Out of curiousity - does the food contain chicken as an ingredient? I would also switch the treats to grain free - if he's having skin/ear issues - something is triggering that - try Fruitables or Cloud Star (buddy biscuits) I think your best bet with the chin is to constantly try and keep it dry after it heals. Also, I found that once we switched Tyson over to filtered water, it helped tremendously with allergies, breakouts, etc.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
He gets water out of the Brita. And I wash his bowls once a day. The food does contain chicken.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Even though that food is quality food there can be something in it that doesn't agree with him. I also would ditch those treats with grain. If he doesn't tolerate grain it doesn't matter how little he gets, he will still have a reaction.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

I have a 1 yr old and was going through all this with him till I found the right food/protein.... I feed Fromm and he did great on the puppy formula, but when I switched to Pork and Peas (what I feed my other baby) it did ot agree with im, chin broke out, ear were always dirty and red.... I switched him to Game bird... got a little better, chin issue was gone, but ear had not change, I then tried him on slamon tunalini... holy cow, that was bad! He is now on the newest flavor (long German inspired name Hausen something or other, protein is rabbit and duck) and it is all gone, still not where I want him to be, but my point to you is..... the brand may work for him, but the protein or mix of tat particular food may not. Try another in the line and see if you have any better results

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So I switched to Fromm Beef Frittata and cut out all supplements except APV in his water. We've had some issues with him eating too fast and throwing up because the kibbles are smaller, but his face and ears are doing so much better. He hasn't had a new break out in awhile although his chin keeps cracking open. No Jolly Egg for him until he heals more. Thanks for the great advice.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Does anyone know how long I should wait when switching foods to determine if he does well on it? His face is still very pink but he hasn't been breaking out. His ears have very little discharge or yeast and may be a little pink but that could be the light.

He is doing well on the food, but I debate on whether I should finish the bag or switch to another type. My instincts say to wait it out.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Does anyone know how long I should wait when switching foods to determine if he does well on it? His face is still very pink but he hasn't been breaking out. His ears have very little discharge or yeast and may be a little pink but that could be the light.

He is doing well on the food, but I debate on whether I should finish the bag or switch to another type. My instincts say to wait it out.

You have to give it at least a month or more.... so definitely finish the bag....from what you're saying it sounds like its improving slowly.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I put him on the Fromm Pork & Pea and have seen drastic improvement this week. He was previously on the Fromm Beef Frittata and his ears were clear and his chin was clearing up, but he had lots of clear eye drainage and his chin was still pink. Now that he is on the Pork & Pea his face redness is going away on his chin (within a week). I am very excited to see what other changes we have with the new food.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I put him on the Fromm Pork & Pea and have seen drastic improvement this week. He was previously on the Fromm Beef Frittata and his ears were clear and his chin was clearing up, but he had lots of clear eye drainage and his chin was still pink. Now that he is on the Pork & Pea his face redness is going away on his chin (within a week). I am very excited to see what other changes we have with the new food.

No rubbing alcohol in his ears & cut the vinegar with water.

Glad the food is helping & yes, 1 cup (with green beens) AM & PM is good.

He will grow until 2 yrs old, more out (head bigger, chest widens) than up (height).

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
No rubbing alcohol in his ears & cut the vinegar with water.

Glad the food is helping & yes, 1 cup (with green beens) AM & PM is good.

He will grow until 2 yrs old, more out (head bigger, chest widens) than up (height).

Why no rubbing alcohol?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.