Help Needed! Urinary Tract Infections

Baileybaby

Jan 5, 2016
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi, I urgently need advice! I have a 5 year old English Bulldog named Bailey. She's had about 7 bladder infections in the last 4 months! We've been to two different vets who have run all types of tests on her and constantly gave her antibiotics. She gets better for a couple of days and then it starts all over again... What can I do to get my poor Baby healthy? Thanks for your help!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry you're going through this. Since she has been to the vets so many times I'm sure that she has been tested for Cushings, diabetes, tumor, bladder stones, developmental disorder, kidney stones. Has she had any other madication exept antibiotics? Have you given her probiotics? Have you given her anything to lower her urine pH? Have they tested urine pH or asked you to monitor it?

OP
B

Baileybaby

Jan 5, 2016
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
We sent a urine and blood sample to the lab and found out that she's immune to a bunch of antibiotics, but she hasn't gotten any other medication. I might have to go to the vet clinic cause I don't feel like anyone knows what's wrong with her. I just want her to be properly taken care of!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If there is no other diagnosis with this kind of prolonged cases the antibiotic regimen should last for 30 days with additonal supplement of Refinie or Urinaid or something similar that you have available in your country. Probiotics are vital with antibiotics, double dose. Monitoring urine pH and maintaining it in this case about 6,5 can be helpful. Also too much carbs in her diet can raise the level of her urine pH which is not preferable. Vitamin C, cranberry, ammoniun Chlorid all lower urine pH and meat in her diet. If your current vets have no idea what's wrong and have only come up with short regimens of antibiotics for cure, it would be wise to seek an expert.

mmsakis

Mar 13, 2012
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penney and Gia
Hello...Sorry to hear about your babies UTI issues. I went through the same thing with one of my girls. The reason she was getting UTIs was because of allergies to her food, once I started her on a grain-free & no chicken food she never had another UTI, until we moved to a new town and then she was allergic to the town water. She was getting UTIs constantly for over 2 months before we figured it out. We switched her to distilled water and she has not had another UTI since. Hope this helps & good luck.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with above - I would definitely look into the diet. What are you currently feeding?

OP
B

Baileybaby

Jan 5, 2016
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thanks for your help! We switched her to Royal Canine Urinary, that is what the vet suggested.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Thanks for your help! We switched her to Royal Canine Urinary, that is what the vet suggested.
Our girl had a Uti and needed several weeks of antibiotics.The vet also put her on Royal canine which in my opinion isn't a good food just for the fact it has chicken and a bunch of extra stuff we don't feed our bullies.Since that we wipe her after every potty break and she hasn't had another one.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry you're going through this. Since she has been to the vets so many times I'm sure that she has been tested for Cushings, diabetes, tumor, bladder stones, developmental disorder, kidney stones. Has she had any other madication exept antibiotics? Have you given her probiotics? Have you given her anything to lower her urine pH? Have they tested urine pH or asked you to monitor it?

GREAT POST… my cat had continuous UTI's and we found out she was a diabetic.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through the this with Bailey. You've been given lots of great advice a ice already and I agree that if you've ruled out any medical causes and food causes then the best thing to do is preventative. We give our guys plain unsweetened yogurt on their kibble every morning for the probiotics, and to boost the immune system, I give them a cranberry pill everyday in their kibble to prevent UTI's. You can buy cranberry pills from a Health Food store or over the counter at the drugstore. Most supplements that are good for humans are also good for dogs, and they are cheaper at the drugstore than buying them from the vet. I also put Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water or in their kibble everyday.
There are many health benefits to ACV such as its a natural anti inflammatory, and a natural anti fungal and anti bacterial so it kills the bad bacteria in the body, and also balances the Ph levels of the blood.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
My cat recently had bladder problems and I have just put him on a low dose D-Mannose powder regimen (as well as changing his food). We first found out about D-Mannose from the Christopher Reeve Foundation as a family member is now severely disabled after a stroke and was constantly getting UTI's. She is on it daily and it has been an absolute life saver! It is perfectly safe for cats and dogs. The brand we use is NOW as it is pure powder and easily dissolves in a small amount of water. My cat will be on it for one week out of the month as hopefully it will be a maintenance type dose, I just add it to his food. I highly recommend you checking it out as a supplement. I am not sure what the dose for a dog would be.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with Christie, RC will most likely keep you going to the vets rather than cure your dog, unfortunately. If it helps with the UTI issue it will bring him skin issues or something else. It's mostly rice and corn and chemistry. You're better of with a good quality grain free kibble if your not interested in raw feeding or home cooking.

OP
B

Baileybaby

Jan 5, 2016
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thanks so much for all the help! I will definitely try the cranberry pills and some probiotics, already ordered them. Hope my little girl will be healthy again soon!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
My boxer pup did this was on several different antibiotics, finally my vet put her on a antibiotic for 30days straight and a prescription diet for 45 days and since then she has never had a problem.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online