Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi everyone! I have not been on the forums in a while so let me introduce myself!

My name is Lisa and my baby's name is Bailey. Except he isn't a baby anymore, he is 12 years old and will be 13 in April!!! I know how lucky I am but it doesn't make his decline any easier to handle.

I am in desperate need of advice for my aging baby.

I regulate the obvious arthritis and aches and pain for him with medication (meloxicam and tramadol) although I am not even sure it helps all the time. He barks and barks and barks. This is all new. He loves to do it over night. The vet believes he has his day and nights mixed up but I am not able to keep him awake all day because I work during the day.

I am willing to do anything to make the end of his life more comfortable for him.

Please does anyone have any advice for me? For pain, sleeping, staying calm, etc.????

Thanks so much in advance.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh Lisa, my goodness, God bless both Bailey and you! I'm sorry he's having a rough time and I myself have no words of wisdom or advice to give you. There have been others here who have had experience with senior dogs, and i'm sure they will chime in soon to give you some feedback. :hug:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi Lisa, Bailey is so lucky to have you who cares so much about him<3 I don't have any experience really:unsure: I hope he can get to sleep at night... must be hard on both of you. One of my bulldogs sometimes have periods where he'll be restless in the nights but if I tire him out he usually gets back to normal again. It's harder with an older dog though, they're naturally not as active. Almost 13 years old is amazing, you're clearly doing things right:hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Going to tag a member that might have some insight.... I think it is melatonin that will help with this

OP
Lkane0322

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thanks everyone for your kind words! There has to be some home remedies for arthritis too!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
My diva is 11 now and we get the odd time when she will bark and bark , she has had breast cancer and wining on that as they have not grown in size or changed in any way , now blind in one eye , drags her one right rear leg a bit , how about teeth have you checked them of late . One thing about Diva she is named well she is a I want attention NOW , we have 5 dogs so attention is spread about , but Diva will demand it and her attention span is not great at this point so i fuss on her , we snuggle on the couch and have a soft play rope that I hide or tug very gently now a day she loves it , My point is she remembers what she has always loved to do and that pull rope is top the pile so i use it , she tires quick and easy and snuggles beside me on the couch . Pain meds i find she gets immune too after a some use that might be a answer ask you vet if there is something else ``BULLDOG `` wise you can try for pain . We brought a Bully Pup into the fold app 5 months ago not saying this is a option for you but the change in Diva was unbelievable she turned into MoM Hubbard with Rosie, insists on going out with the pup = more exercise, took over teaching the pup Dog stuff ect ect , hope that helps a bit

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks everyone for your kind words! There has to be some home remedies for arthritis too!

We've been treating Tyson's arthritis with Laser Therapy, Tumeric (pill form), joint supplements, and then warm orthopedic beds. We will put the heating pad on a low low setting for a real bad day, but he gets hot fast, so we do what we can :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advice about and maybe even putting her crate in your bedroom may help.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with David. I don't know where she spends her nights, but maybe she would feel more secure in your room,or even in your bed. You have also gotten good advice from [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION], in regards to her arthritis. Some dogs get sleepy from benedryl. You could try that. 1 per 25 pounds.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I will keep Bailey in my thoughts and prayers

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awww...bless you for taking such great care with Bailey that he has lived
so long for a bully breed. Will pray for answers found & soon.

A friend here used to buy a horse joint supplement called Regenex and gave
6-8 drops in food, daily to her multiple bullies, swore by it! Cost effective too.
Pain meds might not be as effective (used to them) so may need different ones.
Melatonin might help the sleep as well as Benadryl, some do get sleepy on it.

Do keep us updated and welcome to EBN.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
One thing came to mind as we ( the Vet and I ) felt diva was getting used too the pain meds she was on and they were not as effective for her , Now we do not give these daily to her just when she is having a rough day but is plain old Coated aspirin 325 MG , She responds well to them , within a hour of taking one she is 55 lbs you can see a difference in her movement and mood . The vet also felt at her age that it would be good re stroke or Heart issues at her age , was just a thought for you I was thinking about it in bed last night hope it helps

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online