De-worming tablet containing Milbemycin oxime... just as Trifexis.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I got de-worming for Boeboe when at the vet... it's called Milbemax from Novartis. My concern is that it contains Milbemycin oxime which is one of the ingredients in Trifexis along with Spinosad... before I give it to Boeboe I want to make sure it's not the Milbemycin oxime that's making dogs sick? Milbemax contains 12.5 mg Milbemycin oxime and 125 mg Praziquantel (which I've never heard of, it causes muscle spasms in tapeworms).

She was given two pills, the weight rank for two pills is 25-50 kg (55-110 lbs), Boeboe weights just under 30 kg (65 lbs) so she's in the lower area... I really don't want to give her two pills:( Will it not be effective if I only give her one?

It also seems like Elanco that makes Trifixis is the same company as Novartis, or they bought it up or something...

This is a chewable tablet that they want us to give monthly... I'm not gonna do that, we don't have heartworm here. We bought Diatomaceous Earth and I'm planning to give that for internal parasites from now on.

I don't think she's got worms, but I can obviously not be sure. My husband says I must just give her the pills, it will be fine... I only wanna give one... if any:unsure: It's so hard making decisions for your babies:(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh… I wish I knew what to tell you, we only use Sentinel here. The vet prescribed Bravecto, but I didn't give it to Wally because to be honest I kinda panicked about it. Sentinel is for worms, and the Bravecto is for fleas and our dogs don't have fleas. I see no reason to give them meds for something that they don't have. I have our yard treated around the fence and they don't get in the deep woods or anything...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Ugh… I wish I knew what to tell you, we only use Sentinel here. The vet prescribed Bravecto, but I didn't give it to Wally because to be honest I kinda panicked about it. Sentinel is for worms, and the Bravecto is for fleas and our dogs don't have fleas. I see no reason to give them meds for something that they don't have. I have our yard treated around the fence and they don't get in the deep woods or anything...

I feel the same... I don't think she's got worms, we have de-wormed them before but I've never seen any signs of worms. They don't get into stuff and are always leashed when we leave our house. What annoys me is that I can't remember if this is the de-worming we've used before. I wasn't always this paranoid about what the vet prescribes:ashamed: The packaging doesn't look familiar and this is a new vet... so I'm overly crazy:blink: I was ready to give it to her when I read the ingredients on the packaging and something sounded familiar... I think it's the Spinosad that's bad but I really don't know:(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] If you say that she probably doesn't have worms, I would go with your instinct/feelings and skip the pill. If you under dose, it would not kill all the worms(if she had any) and If there aren't any heart worms,why take the chance. Your dogs don't wander the streets, and no strange dogs are coming on your yard-so why take the chance. It's very unlikely that she would have picked up worms. Mine haven't been wormed since they had their puppy series,and I take stool sample in, and they've never had worms.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
@Petra If you say that she probably doesn't have worms, I would go with your instinct/feelings and skip the pill. If you under dose, it would not kill all the worms(if she had any) and If there aren't any heart worms,why take the chance. Your dogs don't wander the streets, and no strange dogs are coming on your yard-so why take the chance. It's very unlikely that she would have picked up worms. Mine haven't been wormed since they had their puppy series,and I take stool sample in, and they've never had worms.
agree :goodpost:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
@Petra If you say that she probably doesn't have worms, I would go with your instinct/feelings and skip the pill. If you under dose, it would not kill all the worms(if she had any) and If there aren't any heart worms,why take the chance. Your dogs don't wander the streets, and no strange dogs are coming on your yard-so why take the chance. It's very unlikely that she would have picked up worms. Mine haven't been wormed since they had their puppy series,and I take stool sample in, and they've never had worms.

Ja... I've been dragging out giving it to her since we were at the vet almost 2 weeks ago:ashamed: so I guess I'll never give it to her... Since Boeboe barely eats food that I specially make for her I think it's unlikely she'd eat something strange:unsure: and I don't leave them unattended in the garden even. It's if she'd gotten worms from drinking from the pond... we have fishes in and lots of birds rely on it for water... so I don't know... but her problems started when I covered the pond:blink: and now I took the cover off a couple of days ago and she's been eating better:unsure:

I will try the diatomacious Earth in her food, I just have to read up on dosage first. We bought it to dust our chickens for mites, but it's food grade so it should be fine. The vet we bought it from gave me a brochure with dosage for dogs but I can't find it now and the vet in town laughs at me... she's not very much into the natural route:(

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
As they get heart worm from mosquitoes ours are, treated monthly for it as it is a. Big killer of dogs here in Australia with the Mosquitos as for worming FTSE d les not have worms never has but is treated e,very three months as we walk him in public and as we all know dogs sniff other dogs poop and can get worms from that etc

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is your girl doing?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
How is your girl doing?

Sorry I'm a bit late answering:blush2: Boeboe is doing great, she drinks her pond water, she finishes her food most times and no more puking:) Still very picky though... I have to have a couple of options for her but at least she eats, and once she starts she eats her kibble too.

I started her (and the rest of the gang) on Diatomaceous Earth a couple of days ago instead of the de-worming pill... I was totally freaking out when I saw it contained Milbemycin Oxime (same as in Trifexis)... so I just couldn't give it to her. I don't know if it's that ingredient that makes Trifexis dangerous but I'm not planning to find out. I also didn't want to completely ignore the vets suggestion to de-worm her... I understand it is important, so this is my middle way. I hope it works if she does have worms:unsure:

We use DE for our chickens and it has worked wonderful for mites and so on on them, so I have no reason to doubt it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] I also use DE to sprinkle around the house and yard and on the dogs in the summer to kill fleas. Very happy that Boeboe is mending!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
@Petra I also use DE to sprinkle around the house and yard and on the dogs in the summer to kill fleas. Very happy that Boeboe is mending!!

Things just never end... 15 minutes ago I noticed little bumps on Boeboe's side:( It seems like she's breaking out in hives for some reason... I've tried to read up on DE side effects but nothing comes up, so I don't think it's that:unsure: I did give her a little piece of KFC chicken about 2 hours ago, no crust only meat... and I dusted her with DE a few hours ago... I also noticed earlier today that she had little red spots between her back legs, so I wiped her and put some F10 cream on, I've used that cream before without problems and I can't think of anything else that's new:( I feel so sad now.

All the others appear to be fine, no issues, and they've gotten the same food and DE treatment today.

Boeboe doesn't seem bothered, but I'm flippin' freaking out now. I just want her to be OK:( It took me a good while to write this and I checked her again now... the hives doesn't seem to get worse, they actually seem to disappear... I hope that's the case cos the vets up here aren't opened until Monday. She's still a little red on the belly, between her back legs. I guess I'll be having another sleepless night staring at Boeboe:moping:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION], Could she have gotten a bug bite? Do you have benedryl,or equivilent to give her? I have never had a problem with DE,but anything is possible! I think if the hives seem to be going away,I wouldn't worry. If you give her any more de,and it happens again-better stop the de for her! Sending good thought for you! You poor gal-you sure need a break!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
@Petra, Could she have gotten a bug bite? Do you have benedryl,or equivilent to give her? I have never had a problem with DE,but anything is possible! I think if the hives seem to be going away,I wouldn't worry. If you give her any more de,and it happens again-better stop the de for her! Sending good thought for you! You poor gal-you sure need a break!

The reason I dusted her was because I saw a flea on her... maybe she got a reaction to flea bite:unsure: I talked to Cheryl about Benadryl yesterday, we don't have it here but I got the active ingredient from her so I'm going to ask at the pharmacy on Monday. It's good to have home for occasions like this, especially when the vets are so far away:mellow: I checked her again and her belly is also less red now, and she's sleeping and snoring:whew: Thank you so much for the support<3:hug: I think I can maybe sleep tonight even:tongue:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.