Help Needed! Sick Dexter, it's one thing or another with him.

dexter64735

Dec 17, 2015
Missouri, USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
I have a Bully named Dexter, he is 7 years old now. Dexter has had some problems. He's had 2 surgeries for bladder stones, and now severe allergies. He's had the hot spots, droopy eyes, red feet and hair loss. Oh and the severe ear infections. Most all is cleared up now. He can not take pills as they all make him him really sick and vomit the whole time he's on it, even with the anti nausea meds.

I've started cooking for him (recipes I got of this site) and he seems to be doing great on that however woke up this morning to those darn stinky red ears . Somehow have to get that under control now.

One thing that is a little weird with him and i haven't read in the forums is he prefers to not really eat during the day, however at night that's all he wants to do. He will literally keep me up till 3am going potty and eating. He's nocturnal. He's been this way for the last 4 to 5 years. I have no idea why. He's sleeping now like a log since i'm awake. Around 7 pm he'll be wide awake and keep me up all night. He dreams pretty bad and likes to pace thru the house or just lay in his bed and bark at the wall. He's been to the vet every 2 weeks for the last few months or more and basically they just want to put him on their own prescription food and meds (oral) which makes him sick.

Right now i guess his ears are what I need to work on first.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Maybe your vet can recommend some type of ear drops instead of pills? I guess it's not as effective as pills but in time I think it works:unsure: I treat my dogs with ear drops now and then as prevention.

It does sound strange that he's up all night all the time... can it be that he's in a bad circle? My Bennie sometimes get in night mood but he gets back to day time again after a few days, especially if I try to keep him up during the day... Bulldogs sure loves to sleep:blush2: so if they sleep all day they might get bored when the evening comes and they've already slept enough. I don't know...:unsure:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Those prescription foods are probably the ones making all the skin problems and seems like they don't even keep the stones away. What type of stones has he had? This is very important.

OP
D

dexter64735

Dec 17, 2015
Missouri, USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
It does seem like that but he is so stubborn he won't get up. I can pull him out of his bed and he'll get up and go to another one lol.

OP
D

dexter64735

Dec 17, 2015
Missouri, USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Those prescription foods are probably the ones making all the skin problems and seems like they don't even keep the stones away. What type of stones has he had? This is very important.

That's why I stopped giving him the vets prescription foods it was just terrible and you could see he was miserable. I couldn't watch him like that. I think they said oxalate.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I have a Bully named Dexter, he is 7 years old now. Dexter has had some problems. He's had 2 surgeries for bladder stones, and now severe allergies. He's had the hot spots, droopy eyes, red feet and hair loss. Oh and the severe ear infections. Most all is cleared up now. He can not take pills as they all make him him really sick and vomit the whole time he's on it, even with the anti nausea meds.

I've started cooking for him (recipes I got of this site) and he seems to be doing great on that however woke up this morning to those darn stinky red ears . Somehow have to get that under control now.

One thing that is a little weird with him and i haven't read in the forums is he prefers to not really eat during the day, however at night that's all he wants to do. He will literally keep me up till 3am going potty and eating. He's nocturnal. He's been this way for the last 4 to 5 years. I have no idea why. He's sleeping now like a log since i'm awake. Around 7 pm he'll be wide awake and keep me up all night. He dreams pretty bad and likes to pace thru the house or just lay in his bed and bark at the wall. He's been to the vet every 2 weeks for the last few months or more and basically they just want to put him on their own prescription food and meds (oral) which makes him sick.

Right now i guess his ears are what I need to work on first.
Hi Tiffany,
Are you using apple cider vinegar? You can put in Dexter's food or water and you can also use it to clean his ears. That should help w/the red yeast!! I usually alternate ear cleaning treatments depending on how bad Bass' tear stains are…if they get very dark I know the yeast is building in other areas. I use witch hazel, ACV, coconut oil and Nuvet Ear Cleaner for ear infection preventatives…so far this has kept us out of the vet's office. Be extra careful cleaning out the inside of the ear, don't push a cotton ball or q-tip inside the canal, just a gently swipe to remove debris.
As far as the nocturnal behavior…I really don't know what to think. Is it that he just can't get comfortable and is trying to seek comfort? Some dogs are nocturnal, but it sounds like his dreams are bothering him and he can't relax?? What does the vet say about this behavior? Good sticking to your instinct about the food…some presc. food that is recommended is not good…glad you found the recipes that work well w/his body and system.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.