Entropian

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Hi, my ten month old bully, Busters, (who has a cleft palate!), also has an eye problem which I think is called entropian. His lower eyelids roll in and his eyes are very often red and inflamed. The vet said that once he is full grown he may need surgery because the rubbing can cause blindness. Has anyone had a bully with this surgery before? Is it a big deal? How long is the recovery? The poor guy has been through too much. Cleft palate surgery that didn't really work; knee problems; now this!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
It is a common surgery for bullies. My foster bully just had both of his eye done and it made a huge difference for him. If your Vet is familiar ith bullies he/she has probably done many enropian surgeries. The recovery is a few days and a check up to remove stitches. I think putting a bully under is a bigger deal than the surgery itself. In the meantime, you can use lubricating drops to keep Busters eye from getting too irritated

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks! I feel better now. I was thinking it might be months of recovery like his last surgery! It is scary when bully's get put under. I didn't know about the drops. I will ask my vet.
Thanks
Dee

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION] you may also want to switch food from Royal Canine to a better food. Maybe try a grain free food, to see if it helps with his eyes and allergies. If his eyes are rolling in, it could also be allergies. Try giving him Benedryl or another antihistamine from your vet- to see if it is actually an eye problem-- or an allergy problem. Allergies and low grade dog food can cause the eyes to swell, which will provoke entropion.

I sure hope Busters gets better soon.

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks guys! Desertskybulldogs: thanks for the info! I thought that royal canine was good food because that is what the breeder told me to feed him. Plus I can only find it in pet stores. What would be a better option? Can allergies cause the eyelids to roll in? Thanks!

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Thanks guys! Desertskybulldogs: thanks for the info! I thought that royal canine was good food because that is what the breeder told me to feed him. Plus I can only find it in pet stores. What would be a better option? Can allergies cause the eyelids to roll in? Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear about all of Busters health problems! I don't know much about entropian so I am not much help there. But in reply to the food question...We started Bella off on Royal Canine that she was fed by the breeder. It was aweful stuff. I returned it after 2 weeks and started her on Wellness puppy food. That was much better but still not good enough. Bella's :poo:'s never really firmed up good like I know they should and by the 2nd bag, she started getting allergies. Her face got really red and itchy, her face smelled like hampster pee, she had scabby itchy spots on top of her head and her tear stains were horrible. After a few posts on here I found out that alot of people feed Fromm food and no one has had anything but excellent reviews (that I have seen so far) I did my research and decided to go with the grain free formula and I sware, by 1 1/2 weeks I already noticed her eyes drained less, her face doesn't smell as strong, her poops were getting better and her face less red! Now we are on 2 1/2 weeks and her allergies on her face are almost completely cleared up and her poops are perfectly solid (I barely have to use wet wipes on her bum any more). If it has done so much for her in such I short period of time, I can't wait to see what it does long term. I highly suggest Fromm. Even if it doesn't help the Eutropian, I bet you will still notice other differences that will make you happy you switched. Even if not Fromm, I would still try a higher quality food. This is all just my opinion. If you can't find it in your local pet stores, try your local feed stores or check out petflow.com. Good luck and I hope Busters gets better soon.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION], Chunk is in the same position as Busters. We switched from Royal Canin to Blue Buffalo (which made a HUGE difference but still we are dealing with Entropion) and so now are trying Fromm Whitefish & Potato. I am also bringing him for a second opinion to a vet who specializes in Bullies before I opt for surgery. I'm so nervous about him being put under. :( He has eye drops and ointment to protect his eye for the time being. Good luck!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has been treated for Entropion since I got him when he was 4-months old ....

He's been followed by an Opthomologist since than, and his eyelids are currently stapled. Ultimately, at some point in his life, he will require the surgery to correct the Entropion, but for the moment, he is doing well.
But it was a nightmare. His eyelids continued to lacerate his cornea, so I had to deal with staples, eye drops, eye ointments and Elizabethan collars.......

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks guys! I just bought him some orijen food to try. I couldn't find the FROMM food anywhere around here, but I live in a really small town in Canada. I am going to see if the grain free food helps. Even if it doesn't fix his eyes, it would be nice if it was healthier and had other benefits. I actually bought the senior food because Busters is a bit chubby and the vet had recommended that he go on the weight control food. Also, his leg is hurt right now so he isn't getting any exercise. Do you think that it is ok that I bought him senior food and he's only ten months? The pet store guy said that senior food just had less calories.

Wigglesworth

Feb 14, 2011
Putnam County, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Woody
DeeDee,

I'm going through the same thing, and I hope everything works out well for you.

Did you check out the nutrition section of the forum? The food ratings, and user feedback is awesome.

My bully's ear canals were swollen shut/puffed beyond belief. Just 2 short weeks of him on Nature's Variety Instinct, and some eardrops and they're half as bad. The vet commented on the progress today.

His coat is phenomenal, as a bonus. Hopefully, it will have a positive impact on his eyelids.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.