peachry77

Dec 14, 2015
IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Hello everyone! Brand new here so I do apologize if this has been asked before or this topic has come up. I am a proud mommy to an almost 9 year old English Bulldog. We rescued him from a friend who purchased him from a dog store. So let me start out that he has had issues from day 1! Allergy issues and entropion being the main ones. Because of this he has scaring on his eyes which has caused him to be almost blind. He tore his ACL (yea I know my lazy boy found a way to tear this) and now has been having issues walking when the weather changes. His issues just keep continuing. He has an allergy outbreak, his ears and eyes are a mess, he goes on medicine, fine for a couple weeks and than right back in the cycle.

I know he is at the end of his fun loving road however I just don't know if he is truly miserable. Anyone who has an English Bulldog knows they are the most laziest dogs around. He wakes up, goes outside than off to his chosen spot to sleep and snore until he decides it's time to go out again or he's hungry. There are days he seems like nothing is wrong yet he also has days where he doesn't eat as much or limps more than usual. I have noticed a little more aggressiveness with our other dog, a boxer, over food and with people when they play too hard with my son. Part of me wants to make excuses because of his loss of site. His vet has said it is up to me which I can't stand! He now has a weird protruding lump on his shoulder that grew very rapidly but how much more can this poor guy handle?!?! I guess how do you know when it is time with an English Bulldog? Most dogs you see the sudden change in personality but with bulldogs they only have one, lazy! Everyone says "Oh he's 9, well...." but I just have a hard time believing that because the average lifespan is 8-10 yrs, I have to give up! I don't want to give up on him but I also can't handle watching him suffer! Whatever advice or experiences you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know what else to do for the poor guy! IMG_0812.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello everyone! Brand new here so I do apologize if this has been asked before or this topic has come up. I am a proud mommy to an almost 9 year old English Bulldog. We rescued him from a friend who purchased him from a dog store. So let me start out that he has had issues from day 1! Allergy issues and entropion being the main ones. Because of this he has scaring on his eyes which has caused him to be almost blind. He tore his ACL (yea I know my lazy boy found a way to tear this) and now has been having issues walking when the weather changes. His issues just keep continuing. He has an allergy outbreak, his ears and eyes are a mess, he goes on medicine, fine for a couple weeks and than right back in the cycle.

I know he is at the end of his fun loving road however I just don't know if he is truly miserable. Anyone who has an English Bulldog knows they are the most laziest dogs around. He wakes up, goes outside than off to his chosen spot to sleep and snore until he decides it's time to go out again or he's hungry. There are days he seems like nothing is wrong yet he also has days where he doesn't eat as much or limps more than usual. I have noticed a little more aggressiveness with our other dog, a boxer, over food and with people when they play too hard with my son. Part of me wants to make excuses because of his loss of site. His vet has said it is up to me which I can't stand! He now has a weird protruding lump on his shoulder that grew very rapidly but how much more can this poor guy handle?!?! I guess how do you know when it is time with an English Bulldog? Most dogs you see the sudden change in personality but with bulldogs they only have one, lazy! Everyone says "Oh he's 9, well...." but I just have a hard time believing that because the average lifespan is 8-10 yrs, I have to give up! I don't want to give up on him but I also can't handle watching him suffer! Whatever advice or experiences you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know what else to do for the poor guy! View attachment 94186

Hey there, welcome to EBN. Chopper is such a sweet baby. I too have a 9 yr old bully - I will tell you that the limping with the weather changes, and good days vs bad days sounds like arthritis. Tyson has it in his back left leg, and its just recently started to really show. We are doing laser therapy, adequan injections, and pain meds as needed. Because he truly does have good and bad days.
He will also sleep about 18-20 hours out of the day, but in all honestly that is a bulldog!
Has the vet done a full panel bloodwork, and xrays? This will tell you alot, in terms of his organs, and whether he has arthritis, etc. I do think its your call only because you are the only one who truly knows your baby. I know that for us Tyson still has time with us. He's still happy, acts normal, etc... he's just really slowed down over the last few years.. just like we do as we age. I can't tell you what to do, but I would maybe start with some tests if you haven't already to kinda see what's going on... then maybe you could find some solutions to help make him more comfortable :)

Based solely on the things you were describing I would not say that it's his time yet I would say that he's just older and somethings need to be adjusted, just to make him more comfortable. Prime example I had to buy carpet runners to put in the tiled areas of our home just to make it more comfortable for Tyson when he has a bad day with his arthritis ... I also purchased him an orthopedic bed that has weight control of heat to help his joints ;) The other things you described our typical bulldog related things we suffered with allergies with Tyson for most of his life. Do you have your baby on any joint supplements? The lifespan of 8 to 10 years old is not very accurate anymore; being on this forum and doing research lately has shown a lot of bull dogs live into 13 or 14 years old sometimes!! please give your baby a big hug for me!!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It's a hard decision, impossible even:( and like Jessica said, you'll know best. I've never been in the situation and I truly hope there will still be a few years until I have to make that call but I have been thinking about it a lot. I don't want my dogs to suffer, but as long as the issues are manageable and treatable I will do my best to make them comfortable and happy.

I have three bulldogs, two of them will be six in a couple of months and Joey the oldest turned eight in October. Joey's had operations on both her hips due to hip dysplasia. She doesn't hear properly cos her previous owner didn't treat her ear infections and she always flicks her tongue in her left eye so that's a constant battle to keep clean from infections. She doesn't move well and she sleeps most of the day, but she's happy.

I don't think blindness, even if completely blind really matters, dogs adapt wonderfully. In my opinion it sounds like you can postpone your decision.

Is he getting eye drops? My six year old girl has had entropion surgery, five of them even. Now after the ops she needs eye drops for dry eye for the rest of her life. She also has hip dysplasia, in winter she gets really stiff if it's cold so I have a dress for her to keep her warm and she loves sleeping under blankets to keep the heat.

The allergies and ear problems can possibly be related, if you can find out what causes the allergies the ear issues might go away. Bulldogs can be sensitive to SOOO many things:(

Chopper is adorable <3

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi, I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to let you know how sad I am for you and having to be at this point. Just thinking about when that day comes brings me to tears and I can't imagine how torn up you must be. Great advice above…I wish you and Chopper well. xo

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey there, welcome to EBN. Chopper is such a sweet baby. I too have a 9 yr old bully - I will tell you that the limping with the weather changes, and good days vs bad days sounds like arthritis. Tyson has it in his back left leg, and its just recently started to really show. We are doing laser therapy, adequan injections, and pain meds as needed. Because he truly does have good and bad days.
He will also sleep about 18-20 hours out of the day, but in all honestly that is a bulldog!
Has the vet done a full panel bloodwork, and xrays? This will tell you alot, in terms of his organs, and whether he has arthritis, etc. I do think its your call only because you are the only one who truly knows your baby. I know that for us Tyson still has time with us. He's still happy, acts normal, etc... he's just really slowed down over the last few years.. just like we do as we age. I can't tell you what to do, but I would maybe start with some tests if you haven't already to kinda see what's going on... then maybe you could find some solutions to help make him more comfortable :)

Based solely on the things you were describing I would not say that it's his time yet I would say that he's just older and somethings need to be adjusted, just to make him more comfortable. Prime example I had to buy carpet runners to put in the tiled areas of our home just to make it more comfortable for Tyson when he has a bad day with his arthritis ... I also purchased him an orthopedic bed that has weight control of heat to help his joints ;) The other things you described our typical bulldog related things we suffered with allergies with Tyson for most of his life. Do you have your baby on any joint supplements? The lifespan of 8 to 10 years old is not very accurate anymore; being on this forum and doing research lately has shown a lot of bull dogs live into 13 or 14 years old sometimes!! please give your baby a big hug for me!!

GREAT POST, Jessica!

I also had a 9 yr old with good days and bad days due to arthritis... even on good days she would sleep for about hours. Get you baby on some meds to help with the joint issues. Also, all the other stuff could be from his food, what do you feed him?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have had to make the decision to put dogs to sleep when they were terminally ill with cancer, but not for just old age. One thing my vet told me is to make a list of four things that your dog loves to do. When they no longer want to do 3 of them at all--that is an indicator that it may be time. I guess that might be hard with a bully whose favorite thing to do is sleep.

I have never ever had a vet that would say "it's time." They have always said that the decision is up to us. Even when you have a dog with cancer (I've had 4), it's still a hard decision to make. You always wonder if it's too early or too late. I really feel for you and I don't have any advice really. You know him the best. Usually, I guess, we have just "known."

i would try try the joint supplements for sure if you haven't given them before, and eye drops too. Jessica gave you good advice.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
No one else can tell you when it's time. That decision is between you and your dog. It is not ever an easy one.

OP
P

peachry77

Dec 14, 2015
IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Thank you everyone! I guess I've just noticed his "normal" issues getting worse and worse and I feel for him deeply. I don't want him to suffer but I don't want to give up either. He's a good dog, I just worry about aggression issues I have witnessed. He is fed special food from the vet for his allergies, he gets non-drowsey antihistamines all year long. We never went through with the allergy testing only because I feel like Chopper is allergic to everything, even himself! I live in the midwest and even in the dead of winter he has allergy issues. I've had my whole home checked for mold, make sure all cleaning products are natural (I live on a septic too so that is the real reason) and he has drops for dry eye and cleaning solutions for his ears. I do understand that all dogs will have good and bad days as they are older. I just don't want him to be suffering regardless of how bad it hurts me to see him go. I also am worried about the sudden growth on his shoulder. I noticed it when it was just a small "pimple" like bump and now its a little bigger than the eraser of a pencil. This happened almost overnight and of course the wonderful nurse at the vet said that wasn't a good sign. He's been on supplements for his joints for 2 years now. I guess I know the real answer I am just too scared to admit it only because he does have a couple good playful days! But i see it in his eyes and I catch him sleeping in my sons room right in front of his crib so often it breaks my heart! Thanks again everyone!!! I think I'm just going to take him in for a full blood panel again (had one before I noticed the growth) and just see where we are at. I just can't stand to watch him suffer and I would rather say goodbye earlier than watch him wither away.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thank you everyone! I guess I've just noticed his "normal" issues getting worse and worse and I feel for him deeply. I don't want him to suffer but I don't want to give up either. He's a good dog, I just worry about aggression issues I have witnessed. He is fed special food from the vet for his allergies, he gets non-drowsey antihistamines all year long. We never went through with the allergy testing only because I feel like Chopper is allergic to everything, even himself! I live in the midwest and even in the dead of winter he has allergy issues. I've had my whole home checked for mold, make sure all cleaning products are natural (I live on a septic too so that is the real reason) and he has drops for dry eye and cleaning solutions for his ears. I do understand that all dogs will have good and bad days as they are older. I just don't want him to be suffering regardless of how bad it hurts me to see him go. I also am worried about the sudden growth on his shoulder. I noticed it when it was just a small "pimple" like bump and now its a little bigger than the eraser of a pencil. This happened almost overnight and of course the wonderful nurse at the vet said that wasn't a good sign. He's been on supplements for his joints for 2 years now. I guess I know the real answer I am just too scared to admit it only because he does have a couple good playful days! But i see it in his eyes and I catch him sleeping in my sons room right in front of his crib so often it breaks my heart! Thanks again everyone!!! I think I'm just going to take him in for a full blood panel again (had one before I noticed the growth) and just see where we are at. I just can't stand to watch him suffer and I would rather say goodbye earlier than watch him wither away.

I will be thinking of you and Chopper, hope the blood work comes back good and you can get some more time with him, but if it's time it's time, you'll know <3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

can you post a picture of the bump... it might be a hysto-thingy [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]... which if it is, they are nothing

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Your vet gave you great advice. We just had to put our Black Lab Molly down last month, and our vet said basically the same thing to us when we were trying to decide. He said keep a log of how many days she interacts with the family and how many days she spends sleeping and alone. When the bad days start to heavily outnumber the good, then it is time. basically the decision was made for us when she became unable to use her back legs going up and down our deck steps. When it was time, I held her and she looked right into my eyes and then hugged me, and I know she was thanking me for setting her free. The decision was harder to make than it was to actually put her to sleep. That was a very peaceful process for both of us. God bless you and I hope you find peace with making your decision.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.