Help Needed! Itching skin with hair loss and some scabs?

Emilyanne

Dec 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LillyGrace
Hey, I have a 7 month old female english bulldog named lilly. When I got her from her breeder I was warned to only use Oatmeal shampoo on her due to bulldogs sensitive skin. About 2 weeks ago I took her to the groomers and asked them to only use oatmeal and im not sure if they did or not. Lilly is very itchy and is having little flaky scales come off of her back, She is acting her normal playful self other than the itching. Could this be something more than they soap drying her skin out? and does any one have any home remedies that could help?

IMG_1621.PNG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is adorable --- can you get a picture of the scabs/skin? Does her fur come off with the scab?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi!
This is interesting - I CANNOT use oatmeal shampoo because both of mine are allergic to grains, etc. In fact, they are allergic to everything animal or grain-based etc. They can't have oats in their food (they are on a hypoallergenic hydrolized soy protein vet food for just about their whole life, ever since I figured out their food allergies). One thing the vet told me is that an allergy is an allergy, and just like with humans, exposure can trigger an outbreak.

I am not a groomer or a vet, but it seems severe that she should be having this much of a reaction to shampoo (I am sure you aren't bathing her daily)? Maybe this skin reaction is mange as previously mentioned, or a food allergy, or seasonal allergy (i.e. mine are allergic to ragweed and need steroids in ragweed season).

OP
Emilyanne

Emilyanne

Dec 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LillyGrace
her hair is so white and thick its impossible to see the scabs on her skin but yes her hair is coming off with them

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
her hair is so white and thick its impossible to see the scabs on her skin but yes her hair is coming off with them

my guess would be it is possibly a staph infection --- have your vet check her and if it is she will need antibiotics for about 3 wks. Also, it is from a weaken immune system, so add a probiotic to her meal.... spoon of plain yogart will help

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.