Losing hair???

kymadmom

Dec 28, 2013
I posted a few months ago about Dozer having a few spots on his head. We just assumed that he had gotten into something in the yard that had bitten him. Well. Now they're coming back...on the top of his head, and both sides of his face. He's not scratching so it doesn't really seem to be bothering him, but we're at a loss. I've read about demodex mange, but am unsure. I thought I'd come here first before taking him to the vet. I've attached another picture, but it really doesn't do the spots justice.
f0d596a6228384f94127038ac4a7f13b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally had demodex mange, but his spots were larger and spreading. Only way to know for sure is to have a skin scrape… it could be a staph infection or allergies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does look like it could be staph infection .... staph or mange you'll need meds to compact either of them so a trip to vet is needed. If it is staph, that is usually due to a weaken immune system so you may want to think about adding a supplement and a probiotic to his daily routine. Also, does he have any known allergies?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson had those awhile ago - they did turn out to staph derived from allergies - He would have little patches that turned scabby then fell off. The hair does grow back, thankfully. We started him on fish oil, and probiotic/supplements when it happened and they all went away. He does on occasion get one or two randomly.

OP
kymadmom

kymadmom

Dec 28, 2013
We battled with food allergies when he was a pup...he's 2 now. He's been on Fromm pork and peas ever since then and hasn't had any issues. He gets only grain free treats and eats apples and bananas. That's it!!! Looks like we'll be making a trip to vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We battled with food allergies when he was a pup...he's 2 now. He's been on Fromm pork and peas ever since then and hasn't had any issues. He gets only grain free treats and eats apples and bananas. That's it!!! Looks like we'll be making a trip to vet.

It could be environmental allergies that cause the weaken immune system, not always the food that is the issue, just tends to be the majority of the impact.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.