Allergies- getting ready for what is to come??

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
So our little bully has been doing great with food, shampoo, treats etc. really no issues. Everyone usually comments on how his fur is so soft.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but our spring and Summer's here have the highest concentrated pollen in Oregon. Or at least that's what the source says.
My husband usually gets allergies in a severe way!!
Like have to put him to bed multiple times a week because he cannot stop sneezing etc.
even with a high amount of allergy pill in his system.

I have read bullies have really bad allergies too.
I just wanted some suggestions on how to ease the transition into following seasons if you guys have any thoughts :)

Maybe give him allergy pills like my husband-but in the correct dosage lol

Or something natural??

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Don't dose him unless you have to. To help you can give them locally sourced raw honey as it can help build the immune system to allergens in your area, probiotics, a good doggie suppliment like NuVet or Hardy Pet, plain yogurt or kefir as well as they all help to build a healthy immune system. As for medications it is 1mg per pound for Benedryl. For Claritin or Zertec it is generally 1 pill per day if needed. Do not use the "D" versions of any of them as the decongestant can harm your pup.

shelbers00

Dec 9, 2015
Oregon
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
So our little bully has been doing great with food, shampoo, treats etc. really no issues. Everyone usually comments on how his fur is so soft.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but our spring and Summer's here have the highest concentrated pollen in Oregon. Or at least that's what the source says.
My husband usually gets allergies in a severe way!!
Like have to put him to bed multiple times a week because he cannot stop sneezing etc.
even with a high amount of allergy pill in his system.

I have read bullies have really bad allergies too.
I just wanted some suggestions on how to ease the transition into following seasons if you guys have any thoughts :)

Maybe give him allergy pills like my husband-but in the correct dosage lol

Or something natural??

Hello!

Herc didn't show symptoms of his grass allergies till the summer after we got him. We started on Benedryl when he had his first flare up but we knew we couldn't keep him on it forever so our vet put him on Temaril for his allergies. Over the summer he was on three a day and now during the winter he is on two every other day. Our vet also mention Apoquil, which you can't get right now unless your vet already was ordering it back in June, but we are hoping to switch to that this next summer. The vet says it is "Better than spreadable butter" :) We live in some of the worst area for pollen and with the Temaril Herc had a much happier summer!

Hope that helps!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Don't dose him unless you have to. To help you can give them locally sourced raw honey as it can help build the immune system to allergens in your area, probiotics, a good doggie suppliment like NuVet or Hardy Pet, plain yogurt or kefir as well as they all help to build a healthy immune system. As for medications it is 1mg per pound for Benedryl. For Claritin or Zertec it is generally 1 pill per day if needed. Do not use the "D" versions of any of them as the decongestant can harm your pup.

:goodpost: Could not have said it any better! Todd's 100% - no drugs unless necessary! Local, raw honey is awesome!

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the feedback :)

He gets yogurt daily with his lunch. So I could mix a little honey in with it in a few months.

Definitely not going to dose him unless it is necessary.
I heard about the honey and it's 50% people believe it and the other half say it doesn't help with everything that gets caught in the wind.i mean it can't hurt either way ;)

His tear stains are disappearing!!!!!
and it is because of all the advice you guys have given us.
So I will wait and see if he is a champ with allergy season.

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello!

Herc didn't show symptoms of his grass allergies till the summer after we got him. We started on Benedryl when he had his first flare up but we knew we couldn't keep him on it forever so our vet put him on Temaril for his allergies. Over the summer he was on three a day and now during the winter he is on two every other day. Our vet also mention Apoquil, which you can't get right now unless your vet already was ordering it back in June, but we are hoping to switch to that this next summer. The vet says it is "Better than spreadable butter" :) We live in some of the worst area for pollen and with the Temaril Herc had a much happier summer!

Hope that helps!

We have an awesome vet so if necessary I will ask her about a few herbal medicines as well.

It says you live in Oregon. We are in southern Oregon, grants pass area.

shelbers00

Dec 9, 2015
Oregon
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Yes! We live in Salem! We had a really bad year for allergies in our area this last year!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for the feedback :)

He gets yogurt daily with his lunch. So I could mix a little honey in with it in a few months.

Definitely not going to dose him unless it is necessary.
I heard about the honey and it's 50% people believe it and the other half say it doesn't help with everything that gets caught in the wind.i mean it can't hurt either way ;)

His tear stains are disappearing!!!!!
and it is because of all the advice you guys have given us.
So I will wait and see if he is a champ with allergy season.

Its imperative that the honey is locally sourced, we buy our from a local farmers market - we give Tyson his honey on a spoon (as a treat) teaspoon daily, he loves it! We also use it ourselves - honestly its wonderful. Local, raw.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice! Good luck, hopefully he will be just fine with the seasons but probiotics are the definite way to go.

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
There are actually a few places I know of that has local honey :)
Might as well give it a try.
Can he have the comb??

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
There are actually a few places I know of that has local honey :)
Might as well give it a try.
Can he have the comb??

Not sure on that one honestly. I'm a chicken so I always think of choking, etc. LOL I would stick to just the honey :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hello!

so our vet put him on Temaril for his allergies. Over the summer he was on three a day and now during the winter he is on two every other day.

Lola is a similar case, temaril P, we're down to 1 pill every other day and its amazing. Very very little prednisone so every vet we've worked with said that the long term side effects should be nothing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Everyone has you covered, and Todd gave excellent advice. I don't had any experience with environmental allergies in my guys, but they do suffer from multiple food allergies. My Male Bulldozer is allergic to 7 different proteins, and I had to make him a Vegan, using a Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble and adding non animal proteins like Kidney Beans, Lentils, Cottage Cheese, and Eggs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online