Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just a follow up...

It has been a few months with her joint medicine.. I gave her a high dose twice a day for an entire bottle.. Then I cut it in half to maintain the joint support.. Well she had been doing really good.. Not limping and we walk her down the mail box in the evenings to check the mail.. But this last weekend we had another dog over at the house.. The other dog is a very energetic boxer.. They played and played.. Right about time for the other dog to go home.. I noticed Harley looking uncomfortable.. She started limping again from the activity throughout the day..

Her right now..
0061efd1bf5bcbf71bc08beca8f692fe.jpg

She isn't use to the activity but she is only two.. I would think her being young she wouldn't have issues this early..

She has an appointment in a few hours.. I will update again..

It's not so much about age in bulldogs, it's their issues with ligaments & bones, it
may be that she needs to have low levels of activity & short play times. She may
always need joint support. Hopefully Vet can give a proper & more though answer
& resulting plan to help her. Please let us know...cute pic of your Precious :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I hope you get some answers at the vet. She might have just played too hard and strained something when playing with the boxer. Do you have a raised bed for her? Frank would get really stiff and we got him a raised bed and it helped a bunch.

Harley is such a cutie! That picture of her is adorable. I hope she feels better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just a follow up...

It has been a few months with her joint medicine.. I gave her a high dose twice a day for an entire bottle.. Then I cut it in half to maintain the joint support.. Well she had been doing really good.. Not limping and we walk her down the mail box in the evenings to check the mail.. But this last weekend we had another dog over at the house.. The other dog is a very energetic boxer.. They played and played.. Right about time for the other dog to go home.. I noticed Harley looking uncomfortable.. She started limping again from the activity throughout the day..

Her right now..
0061efd1bf5bcbf71bc08beca8f692fe.jpg

She isn't use to the activity but she is only two.. I would think her being young she wouldn't have issues this early..

She has an appointment in a few hours.. I will update again..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the appointment go?

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
These dogs are a rare breed. The boys turned two last Tuesday. Emmitt got up Monday afternoon and was limping so bad on his back leg he could not put any weight on it. He could barely get up to go outside. We were freaking out. Tuesday morning no limp. Running and jumping like normal. I think it was sleeping on his hip. Maybe his leg went to sleep. I don't know but I think it has to do with breed.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Sorry!

I took her to the vet for a check up and didn't even get to see the actual vet.. But the "nurse" I talked to only told me everything we already know.. Joint medication, exercise, weight loss, etc. so I have to schedule an appointment with the actual vet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
These dogs are a rare breed. The boys turned two last Tuesday. Emmitt got up Monday afternoon and was limping so bad on his back leg he could not put any weight on it. He could barely get up to go outside. We were freaking out. Tuesday morning no limp. Running and jumping like normal. I think it was sleeping on his hip. Maybe his leg went to sleep. I don't know but I think it has to do with breed.

I agree...their joints & ligaments can be so loose and look such a mess on x-rays
that many Vets want to do immediate surgeries. It takes nothing for them to limp!
Cami developed a terrible limp almost 2 years ago and after x-rays, sure enough,
he recommended ACL done on both legs. After looking at what recovery entailed,
decided to try for severe curtailment of all activity & put her on joint supplements.
She's still okay...thank God!

So glad Emmit is good to go too :)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella got a sports injury at about 6 months of age. She saw several vets and got xrays...nothing wrong with her bones. I rested her for six weeks and and put her on NuJoint high dosage. She ended up fine, with no limping.

THEN...a month or so ago, she lost her *****, running around the backyard like a crazy person, and she's been limping ever since. I tried to wait it out, hoping she'd get better....she hasn't, so I'm back to putting her on the leash for backyard walks, limiting her activity, and giving her the high dosage of NuJoint.

Good luck with your sweet bully!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.