Harley limping

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
The other day I noticed Harley (2yo in January) get off the couch when I got home and she limped over to me.. I checked her feet and joints.. Couldn't find anything wrong.. I let her outside and watched her and she took off running like she was just faking.. Didn't think much of it.. Silly girl..

Well today she won't put any weight on it.. I know she is very lazy.. Probably over weight.. And not exercised like she should be..

We cut back her food this week.. Not sure if I should walk her on it..? Hoping it gets better..? Or wait for her weight to drop..? Maybe that's what she needs..? I also started adding joint support to her food.. Or just go to the vet...?

Thank you in advance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
For now, I would just keep her on rest. No running, jumping, couch, walks, etc. Just quick potty breaks & if she runs when you let her out, then I'd do leashed to avoid it.
She may have pulled or aggravated a muscle. The supplements are wonderful! Those along with at least 2 weeks rest should give you a good idea. If you notice after 2 weeks she's getting better I would go another 1-2 to be sure. If you notice no improvement or if any other symptoms appear - then yep, vet visit!
Hoping the rest will fix her up, and I know it's hard to rest a 2 yr old, but this is for her benefit!

Also, side note (coming from personal experience with both) if you are cutting back her food be 100% sure there aren't things laying around she could eat. Toys, boxes, socks, trash, etc. because as they adjust to less food, they will forage!

Good luck :)

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
For now, I would just keep her on rest. No running, jumping, couch, walks, etc. Just quick potty breaks & if she runs when you let her out, then I'd do leashed to avoid it.
She may have pulled or aggravated a muscle. The supplements are wonderful! Those along with at least 2 weeks rest should give you a good idea. If you notice after 2 weeks she's getting better I would go another 1-2 to be sure. If you notice no improvement or if any other symptoms appear - then yep, vet visit!
Hoping the rest will fix her up, and I know it's hard to rest a 2 yr old, but this is for her benefit!

Also, side note (coming from personal experience with both) if you are cutting back her food be 100% sure there aren't things laying around she could eat. Toys, boxes, socks, trash, etc. because as they adjust to less food, they will forage!

Good luck :)

Okay thank you!

Is there a joint support you would recommend? I don't remember the name of the one she uses now but it's a powder mixed with her food.. I can tell she doesn't like it but she eats it.. Hahaha..

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessica gave you some great advice, NuVet makes a joint supplement NuJoint that has really good reviews. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] highly recommends it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Okay thank you!

Is there a joint support you would recommend? I don't remember the name of the one she uses now but it's a powder mixed with her food.. I can tell she doesn't like it but she eats it.. Hahaha..

Yep, we use Nujoint DS. Tyson loves it, they are wafers... he thinks they are treats - haha.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Okay.. Thank you! That sounds easier.. I'll be sure to give that a try!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay.. Thank you! That sounds easier.. I'll be sure to give that a try!

I've seen it help so many it's uncanny, worth a try especially with their money back guarantee.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Okay we went to the pet store and found a joint support.. Now my plan is to start her off strong and then taper off to maintain... Would you agree? She still just acts like her hips are bothering her off and on.. If she sits or lays for too long, it hurts her.. But if she is up and moving you can't tell..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay we went to the pet store and found a joint support.. Now my plan is to start her off strong and then taper off to maintain... Would you agree? She still just acts like her hips are bothering her off and on.. If she sits or lays for too long, it hurts her.. But if she is up and moving you can't tell..

agreed!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Yes, exactly correct!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have a good plan, hope she gets better soon.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Harley sure is a tough girl.. She never barks or whines.. But I can tell when she is not comfortable.. I hope the supplement helps her and I never see her in discomfort again..

brianhoostal

May 24, 2015
NE Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sobaka
Hope she's on the mend soon. We use Dasuquin‎, and have had great results with it. Our EB doesn't have any joint issues, so we just use the maint. dosage. Our Rotty has had joint issues in the past, and the Dasuquin has helped tremendously.

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hope she's on the mend soon. We use Dasuquin‎, and have had great results with it. Our EB doesn't have any joint issues, so we just use the maint. dosage. Our Rotty has had joint issues in the past, and the Dasuquin has helped tremendously.

Thanks.. I think it'll take a while cause she was limping tonight.. Our schedule made her sleep a lot longer than she normally does..

OP
J

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Just a follow up...

It has been a few months with her joint medicine.. I gave her a high dose twice a day for an entire bottle.. Then I cut it in half to maintain the joint support.. Well she had been doing really good.. Not limping and we walk her down the mail box in the evenings to check the mail.. But this last weekend we had another dog over at the house.. The other dog is a very energetic boxer.. They played and played.. Right about time for the other dog to go home.. I noticed Harley looking uncomfortable.. She started limping again from the activity throughout the day..

Her right now..
0061efd1bf5bcbf71bc08beca8f692fe.jpg

She isn't use to the activity but she is only two.. I would think her being young she wouldn't have issues this early..

She has an appointment in a few hours.. I will update again..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.