Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
George was at the vet again today he appears to have acute colitis is on antibiotics and antacids. He seems to be responding a lot better this evening just feeding him small amounts of chicken and rice and hopefully we will be back on track in a week or so.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
George was at the vet again today he appears to have acute colitis is on antibiotics and antacids. He seems to be responding a lot better this evening just feeding him small amounts of chicken and rice and hopefully we will be back on track in a week or so.

UGH -- colitis! My girl had that and it would just show up whenever it wanted to -- we used a powder and the name escapes me right now. You can also use Metamucil... a little teaspoon in her food to help when it flares up

remembered the powder.... Tylan

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Oh poor baby - Colitis :( I know its not great, but I'll take that over an obstruction any day. I know the meds will help him feel better soon. Please give him lots of love, cuddles and hugs.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thanks again everyone.
Great to know about the powder.
Yes I am glad it's not an obstruction.
He's about 80% back to himself already being his naughty self and biting us ��

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
So, they did do an xray finally? sorry if I missed that post. Is the powder someone talking about Forta Flora, a probiotic? Sounds like you need to keep your pup on a short leash, especially since they have a behavior like this. I'd also suggest getting the standard OTC meds so that you have them on hand, chances are you'll end up needing them eventually.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Tylan powder or Metamucil was recommended here.
Our vets in Ireland are very reluctant to give medication unless it's for immediate use they don't allow you to store it.
No they didn't do an X-ray and he hasn't pooped for about 36 hours except for some very dark syrup like stuff only a small amount. He isn't drinking now at all we are just trying to give him ice cubes to keep him hydrated. He is on rice and chicken for 5 days so I'm thinking that after his 24 hour fasting he has nothing to poop out yet maybe.
I am seriously thinking about introducing him to a raw food diet over time as I know a few dogs on this and they are doing very well (not Bulldogs they are setters but they had gastric problems too).

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tylan powder or Metamucil was recommended here.
Our vets in Ireland are very reluctant to give medication unless it's for immediate use they don't allow you to store it.
No they didn't do an X-ray and he hasn't pooped for about 36 hours except for some very dark syrup like stuff only a small amount. He isn't drinking now at all we are just trying to give him ice cubes to keep him hydrated. He is on rice and chicken for 5 days so I'm thinking that after his 24 hour fasting he has nothing to poop out yet maybe.
I am seriously thinking about introducing him to a raw food diet over time as I know a few dogs on this and they are doing very well (not Bulldogs they are setters but they had gastric problems too).

Since you fasted him, he may take a day or two to poop again and since he's on the chicken/rice he will drink less. The chicken & rice if you boiled has alot of water in it. I wouldn't be too worried just yet, Tyson did the same thing and it freaked me out. But sure enough once he started eating his food, he started drinking again. You can always pull the skin on the back of his neck too, if it goes back down quickly - he's hydrated well - if you see its stays or moves really slow, he needs hydration!

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
That did dawn on me about the water in the food but thanks for making me feel better about it, it's good to know and not to worry about the poop.
its good to talk to people that understand the breed, thanks.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying that George makes a Full Recovery and get back to his Wonderful Self, Thank God it was not an obstruction. Love and Kisses to George.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Praying that George makes a Full Recovery and get back to his Wonderful Self, Thank God it was not an obstruction. Love and Kisses to George.

Thank you Susan, he's getting lots of love and they really are a very kissable breed with that lip they have I love it ❤️��

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.