GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
Hi there!
My poor baby bully, Mabel, just got diagnosed with D mange. This is just the most recent in a string of illnesses that she's had since we got her. She will be seven months old at the end of this month. I recently switched her food to the same one that her big brother eats, Zignature duck formula. My question is- How do I boost her immune system? I use essential oils and supplements for my family and the dogs at times, but I'm not sure what would help her or what she can have at her age. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Plain yogurt or kefir and probiotics will help. Even a little bit of locally sourced raw honey given in moderation can help.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Probiotics are great. We also do local honey (a teaspooon a day) and we're on Nuvet (which is a daily vitamin)

OP
GusterandMabel

GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
Thank you both! I have some local raw honey and will give her some when she wakes up from her nap. How about echinacea or vitamin C? Or has anyone tried dinovite? I hear great things about it, but have never met anyone who used it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you both! I have some local raw honey and will give her some when she wakes up from her nap. How about echinacea or vitamin C? Or has anyone tried dinovite? I hear great things about it, but have never met anyone who used it.

I've never used Dinovite, but if its a daily vitamin - wouldn't hurt - Just read the ingredients, maybe compare it to Nuvet side by side. Vitamin C is always great, but if your going to do a daily vitamin you may not need it since its probably included already. I know Echinacea is good for us, but I've heard you have to be careful with dogs, they can have it, but only only in certain doses, etc. I think I'd feel safer with a good daily vitamin & probiotic.

OP
GusterandMabel

GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
I've never used Dinovite, but if its a daily vitamin - wouldn't hurt - Just read the ingredients, maybe compare it to Nuvet side by side. Vitamin C is always great, but if your going to do a daily vitamin you may not need it since its probably included already. I know Echinacea is good for us, but I've heard you have to be careful with dogs, they can have it, but only only in certain doses, etc. I think I'd feel safer with a good daily vitamin & probiotic.

Okay, thank you for the information! I'm going to look into a good daily vitamin for both of them. The vet gave Mabel Free Form which is EPA and DHA as a supplement to using the Preventic collar for her D mange. Coconut oil seems to help her skin heal, but it's just solving the symptoms and not the problem. I feel like if I boost her immune system, she can fight off her mange and anything else that comes along.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Okay, thank you for the information! I'm going to look into a good daily vitamin for both of them. The vet gave Mabel Free Form which is EPA and DHA as a supplement to using the Preventic collar for her D mange. Coconut oil seems to help her skin heal, but it's just solving the symptoms and not the problem. I feel like if I boost her immune system, she can fight off her mange and anything else that comes along.

Good Luck, I hope she feels better soon! Keep us posted on her progress :)

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi there!
My poor baby bully, Mabel, just got diagnosed with D mange. This is just the most recent in a string of illnesses that she's had since we got her. She will be seven months old at the end of this month. I recently switched her food to the same one that her big brother eats, Zignature duck formula. My question is- How do I boost her immune system? I use essential oils and supplements for my family and the dogs at times, but I'm not sure what would help her or what she can have at her age. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
If you haven't already, put a little apple cider vinegar in her drinking water and equal parts water/acv in a rinse after a bath…I've read a lot of positive results regarding this treatment for demodectic mange…<-this and a good immune system booster should help tremendously - good luck xo

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Agreed :yes: - sounds like you know what you are doing. I was recently writing an article on the benefits of Krill oil as opposed to other oils given to dogs…the antioxidant effects are greater from recent small studies on people that supplemented w/Krill. Not sure about the positive effects regarding mange, but wanted to mention since you are looking to boost her immune system.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry your baby is going through this, and at such a young age. These guys are so sensitive and seem to have so. Any immune system issues. My guys have allergies, especially my male Bulldozer, he is allergic to 7 proteins, and I had to make him a vegan using Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble and adding non animal proteins like cottage cheese, kidney beans, eggs, and lentils. I give my guys plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble everyday, I add ACV and NuVet or My Healthy Pet Seagreens Powder (Kelp) to their evening kibble and they also get Coconut Oil for the Omega Fatty Acids. All of these things are great for boosting the immune system, and for their skin and coat. I hope Manel feels better soon. Sending Love, hugs and prayers.

OP
GusterandMabel

GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
Just wanted to update everyone on Miss Mabel- The vet gave her a Preventic collar to wear instead of taking the drops. She said we were to change it out every three weeks for a new one, up to six times. I put it on her and noticed as the days went on that she got worse and seemed to be losing her pep. Yesterday, I tossed the collar, gave her a good bath, put an egg and some raw ACV in her food and washed all of her bedding/toys. This morning, I gave her some Ester-C with more ACV in her water and little lick of local raw honey. She is currently running around like a typical bulldog baby, smashing into and running over things like Godzilla and terrorizing her big brother who just wants his after breakfast nap! I've been putting extra virgin coconut oil on her bald spots at night and none of them have gotten infected. I think I am going to try the natural route for getting rid of the puppy mange. She seems to be feeling so much better already, so it makes me feel as if it's the right course of action. Has anyone else dealt with demodex mange this way? I would love to hear what worked and what didn't!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just wanted to update everyone on Miss Mabel- The vet gave her a Preventic collar to wear instead of taking the drops. She said we were to change it out every three weeks for a new one, up to six times. I put it on her and noticed as the days went on that she got worse and seemed to be losing her pep. Yesterday, I tossed the collar, gave her a good bath, put an egg and some raw ACV in her food and washed all of her bedding/toys. This morning, I gave her some Ester-C with more ACV in her water and little lick of local raw honey. She is currently running around like a typical bulldog baby, smashing into and running over things like Godzilla and terrorizing her big brother who just wants his after breakfast nap! I've been putting extra virgin coconut oil on her bald spots at night and none of them have gotten infected. I think I am going to try the natural route for getting rid of the puppy mange. She seems to be feeling so much better already, so it makes me feel as if it's the right course of action. Has anyone else dealt with demodex mange this way? I would love to hear what worked and what didn't!

This is great news. I am all about the natural way if possible. And good to tossing the collar! I think that if what you have tried is working well, keep up with that! I have done the same with Tyson in regards to ACV, egg, cleaning/washing, etc. He had demodex when I first got him, but after changing his food, and a short round of antibiotics it cleared up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online