Crappy update! Boeboe's had some eating problems lately :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
. now she's enjoying a gallon of yucky pond water every day so her tummy is nicely full of... fish crap and algae:blink:

the Queen of Pickiness:tongue:

Hey, we all have our likes --- Boeboe just happens to be a little different -- as long as she is well and happy.... I say let her have at it

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm glad she's feeling better :) I'll bet there's probably 'good' bacteria and algae and other stuff in that pond that's helping her! Merry Christmas [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] and Boeboe :)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying Precious Boeboe will be back to feeling Wonderful. Love and Kisses to her from me and Elmo.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
So... this morning I woke up to Boeboe spinning on her *** next to my bed, her cheeks had broken out in something that looked like hot spots:( I think it may be a reaction to flea bite but I'm not sure... We have an appointment at the vet at 3PM.

I'm feeling so frustrated right now, one issue goes away and the next one appear:moping:

I read up on the Milbemax de-worming pill we got... I see now that Sentinel also contains Milbemycin Oxime so I don't think that ingredient is the problem... but the one combined with it is called Praziquantel and the side effects of that one sounds horrible:fie: I'm going to admit to the vet now that I didn't give her the de-worming... and I'll ask her what her take is on Diatomaceous Earth. If she insists I give the de-worming I will do it, but not two pills since Boeboe is in the lower weight range. I'll give her 1 1/4, that's fair I think:unsure: But Boeboe doesn't puke anymore, worms was never the problem even if she does have them. I hope the vet will encourage the DE option but they LOVE pills so I'm not keeping my hopes high...

We'll also buy flea medicine now, the "spot on" one, not the pill... here they use Combo Guard which is the same product as Trifexis, just a different name cos it's not in America:mad: Bastards!

I'm scared I'm f*ing up my dog trying to protect her, but I couldn't live with force feeding her something that could harm or kill her:*(

Wish us luck today<3

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Good luck [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] and Boeboe I hope you guys get some good news and a good outcome at the vet I know you've had a difficult go of it lately and I'm so sorry :( I'll be thinking of you guys today and keeping her in my prayers. Please let us know how you make out. Hugs and healing thoughts from Murray and I

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
So... this morning I woke up to Boeboe spinning on her *** next to my bed, her cheeks had broken out in something that looked like hot spots:( I think it may be a reaction to flea bite but I'm not sure... We have an appointment at the vet at 3PM.

I'm feeling so frustrated right now, one issue goes away and the next one appear:moping:

I read up on the Milbemax de-worming pill we got... I see now that Sentinel also contains Milbemycin Oxime so I don't think that ingredient is the problem... but the one combined with it is called Praziquantel and the side effects of that one sounds horrible:fie: I'm going to admit to the vet now that I didn't give her the de-worming... and I'll ask her what her take is on Diatomaceous Earth. If she insists I give the de-worming I will do it, but not two pills since Boeboe is in the lower weight range. I'll give her 1 1/4, that's fair I think:unsure: But Boeboe doesn't puke anymore, worms was never the problem even if she does have them. I hope the vet will encourage the DE option but they LOVE pills so I'm not keeping my hopes high...

We'll also buy flea medicine now, the "spot on" one, not the pill... here they use Combo Guard which is the same product as Trifexis, just a different name cos it's not in America:mad: Bastards!

I'm scared I'm f*ing up my dog trying to protect her, but I couldn't live with force feeding her something that could harm or kill her:*(

Wish us luck today<3

Hi Petra,

Just reading this thread. First, our Jewel has empty stomach syndrome, that is, she pukes a frothy bile like crap if she doesn't eat. So the wife and I try to time and space her meals out to avoid the issue. Jewel will have hyperactive bowel sounds (gurgles). We have found a product that helps with this...it is made by VetriScience and it is called Fast Balance GI Paste. We showed this to our vet who did not have any comments except that it appears to be made by Vets. large_0900470_015.jpg

Second, Jewel had an episode of pancreatitis last year (please see Inflammation of the Pancreas in Dogs | petMD ). The pancreas was so enlarged that it affected her liver made her vomit, and gave us the frothy bile. Her amylase levels were elevated as well as her liver enzymes and were told she needed 24 hour care and was admitted to another pet hospital. The pancreatitis was confirmed via sonogram. Needless to say she was an inpatient for 4 days and 3 nights. I do not have access to her medical records to tell you exactly what they did for her to treat the pancreatitis other than she is now on a low-fat diet now. Yes giving Jewel occasional piece of cheese, coconut oil, and occasion egg, etc. took its toll on our girl.

Third, we noticed when we give the flea, tick, and mosquito treatment (i.e. oily mess applied to her back) she vomited the next day and did not really have an appetite for 24-48 hours afterwards. We are going to try to administer half of the medicine on one day next month and the other half the following day to she how she responds.

I wish our pets could talk to us and tell us exactly what is going on and I do hope you find out what is going on with Boeboe. I will send prayers and positive thoughts. Best regards, --rj.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Petra,

Just reading this thread. First, our Jewel has empty stomach syndrome, that is, she pukes a frothy bile like crap if she doesn't eat. So the wife and I try to time and space her meals out to avoid the issue. Jewel will have hyperactive bowel sounds (gurgles). We have found a product that helps with this...it is made by VetriScience and it is called Fast Balance GI Paste. We showed this to our vet who did not have any comments except that it appears to be made by Vets.

Second, Jewel had an episode of pancreatitis last year (please see Inflammation of the Pancreas in Dogs | petMD ). The pancreas was so enlarged that it affected her liver made her vomit, and gave us the frothy bile. Her amylase levels were elevated as well as her liver enzymes and were told she needed 24 hour care and was admitted to another pet hospital. The pancreatitis was confirmed via sonogram. Needless to say she was an inpatient for 4 days and 3 nights. I do not have access to her medical records to tell you exactly what they did for her to treat the pancreatitis other than she is now on a low-fat diet now. Yes giving Jewel occasional piece of cheese, coconut oil, and occasion egg, etc. took its toll on our girl.

Third, we noticed when we give the flea, tick, and mosquito treatment (i.e. oily mess applied to her back) she vomited the next day and did not really have an appetite for 24-48 hours afterwards. We are going to try to administer half of the medicine on one day next month and the other half the following day to she how she responds.

I wish our pets could talk to us and tell us exactly what is going on and I do hope you find out what is going on with Boeboe. I will send prayers and positive thoughts. Best regards, --rj.

Thank you so much Roger, great information:)

It seems like we've gotten the vomiting under control by feeding her what she likes and eats... she's very picky:fie: I can't say there isn't an underlying problem to why she started to puke in the first place but as long as she doesn't puke again I'm hoping it's just the empty stomach syndrome:unsure:

We have used the tropical flea treatment before, I can't remember if she acted differently afterwards... But I'll do like you, I'll give half/half just to be sure. For Boeboe to not have an appetite right now isn't ideal:mellow:

I've never heard of the GI paste but I'll ask the vet next time, maybe she knows. Thanks again:)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck @Petra and Boeboe I hope you guys get some good news and a good outcome at the vet I know you've had a difficult go of it lately and I'm so sorry :( I'll be thinking of you guys today and keeping her in my prayers. Please let us know how you make out. Hugs and healing thoughts from Murray and I

Thank you Carolyn:) It was dermatitis just as I thought... I think she got it from a flea bite. We got tropical treatment for fleas and Antibiotics and Cortisone to treat the dermatitis so she should be fine now:) The vet took a test on the infected area to make sure it wasn't something else and it came back clean:whew:

My problem now will be to get her to eat her pills... she can smell a pill from a mile away, through steak and meatballs:ohmy: I hate putting them down her throat, the look she gives me is so sad:*( I'm gonna make some meatballs now and hope it works for a few days at least... :tongue:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thank you so much Roger, great information:)

It seems like we've gotten the vomiting under control by feeding her what she likes and eats... she's very picky:fie: I can't say there isn't an underlying problem to why she started to puke in the first place but as long as she doesn't puke again I'm hoping it's just the empty stomach syndrome:unsure:

We have used the tropical flea treatment before, I can't remember if she acted differently afterwards... But I'll do like you, I'll give half/half just to be sure. For Boeboe to not have an appetite right now isn't ideal:mellow:

I've never heard of the GI paste but I'll ask the vet next time, maybe she knows. Thanks again:)

I buy this product OTC (i.e. over the counter) from Chewy.com . When Jewel's tummy is gurgling and she does not want to eat, we give her about 10cc/mls of the paste and in 20 minutes or so she will eat. I do not know if the product is available in your part of the world; however, here is Vetri Science website and contact information for international inquiries: VetriSCIENCE Laboratories

International Inquiries
Phone: 1-802-878-5508
Fax: 1-802-878-0549
Country Code is 1.

Jewel and Bentley told me to tell you to tell Boeboe to get well soon.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] :) I tried to search for it here in SA but it doesn't seem to exist here, but I'll write down the ingredients and ask at the vet next time, sometimes they have stuff that's kind of the same just a different name. We're not really in a position to order things from overseas right now, and our post office is pathetic as well. It takes months to get things, if they arrive at all:(

Boeboe says thanks for the well wishes:)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @rjisaterp :) I tried to search for it here in SA but it doesn't seem to exist here, but I'll write down the ingredients and ask at the vet next time, sometimes they have stuff that's kind of the same just a different name. We're not really in a position to order things from overseas right now, and our post office is pathetic as well. It takes months to get things, if they arrive at all:(

Boeboe says thanks for the well wishes:)

You are both quite welcome. By all means, keep us posted.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thank you Carolyn:) It was dermatitis just as I thought... I think she got it from a flea bite. We got tropical treatment for fleas and Antibiotics and Cortisone to treat the dermatitis so she should be fine now:) The vet took a test on the infected area to make sure it wasn't something else and it came back clean:whew:

My problem now will be to get her to eat her pills... she can smell a pill from a mile away, through steak and meatballs:ohmy: I hate putting them down her throat, the look she gives me is so sad:*( I'm gonna make some meatballs now and hope it works for a few days at least... :tongue:
Maybe try a variation on Italian wedding soup out of pond water and meatballs :)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Tried to give Boeboe her antibiotics hidden in some sausage and cheese last night but as usual she caught it and spit the pill out:yell: Tried to put it down her throat but she somehow managed to break the capsule and the powder went all over the floor:bang: This morning same thing:facepalm:I spent two hours trying to get her to first eat her food, mince wasn't good enough, made pancakes, wasn't acceptable. Finally after trying everything I could find in the kitchen she decided that the sausage I tried to give her last night was what she wanted:bigeyes: I asked my husband to give her the antibiotics cos I can obviously not do it properly... he failed and again powder went all over the floor:nope:

She's really difficult in the mornings, later in the day and evenings she eats usually without any issues but she flippin' HAS to eat at least a little in the mornings so she wont puke again, especially now when I have to give her pills. I'm gonna get ice cream today, she's got a sweet tooth so maybe it will work... I normally don't give them things that's sweet but I'm gonna make an exception for now to hopefully make things easier on all of us...

Her face looks horrible from the dermatitis but it looks like it's starting to dry and heal... I haven't found any new spots on her so that's good:whew:

I put the "spot on" tick and flea treatment this morning, I'm very hated among them all right now:moping:

I'm also looking around to see if other people here in South Africa with Bulldogs have ever given their dogs the Milbemax de-worming. I'd like to know how it went for them before I decide if I'm going to give it to Boeboe... If people say that's what they use and they've had no issues I'm going for it:scared:.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Tried to give Boeboe her antibiotics hidden in some sausage and cheese last night but as usual she caught it and spit the pill out:yell: Tried to put it down her throat but she somehow managed to break the capsule and the powder went all over the floor:bang: This morning same thing:facepalm:I spent two hours trying to get her to first eat her food, mince wasn't good enough, made pancakes, wasn't acceptable. Finally after trying everything I could find in the kitchen she decided that the sausage I tried to give her last night was what she wanted:bigeyes: I asked my husband to give her the antibiotics cos I can obviously not do it properly... he failed and again powder went all over the floor:nope:

She's really difficult in the mornings, later in the day and evenings she eats usually without any issues but she flippin' HAS to eat at least a little in the mornings so she wont puke again, especially now when I have to give her pills. I'm gonna get ice cream today, she's got a sweet tooth so maybe it will work... I normally don't give them things that's sweet but I'm gonna make an exception for now to hopefully make things easier on all of us...

Her face looks horrible from the dermatitis but it looks like it's starting to dry and heal... I haven't found any new spots on her so that's good:whew:

I put the "spot on" tick and flea treatment this morning, I'm very hated among them all right now:moping:

I'm also looking around to see if other people here in South Africa with Bulldogs have ever given their dogs the Milbemax de-worming. I'd like to know how it went for them before I decide if I'm going to give it to Boeboe... If people say that's what they use and they've had no issues I'm going for it:scared:.

I open up the probiotic capsules for Wally and sprinkle it on his food then mix it up real good. Have you tried that? I'm assuming the meds probably taste bitter so maybe you could stir in some broth to hide the bitter taste… Gosh I'm sorry you are having such a time w/her. It truly NEVER ends for you :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online