Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Re: Boeboe's had some eating problems lately :(

Thanks @My Otis:) We're back and this is what we got out of it:

Antibiotic - The vet doesn't know what's going on and she wants to give Antibiotics as a starter route.

Protexin - Probiotic powder to balance her tummy out.

Ulsanic - To help heal whatever caused the blood in the puke. The vet says they have something in their throat that's sensitive to puking... I can't remember what the name of it was:ashamed:

De-wormer - Cos that can cause dogs to feel nauseous...

You know the feeling when you go to the doctor and you basically feel like you'd been better off at home with an aspirin? That's kind of how I feel... She says it's not normal for dogs to puke, and I do agree with that, but she also states that in nature they apparently don't puke when their tummies are empty... I have personally not seen many bulldogs in nature lately, but maybe that's just me... I know for a fact dogs can sometimes puke from an empty tummy, I had a Jack Russel 15 years ago that had to eat special food 3-4 times a day cos if he didn't he would puke. My male bulldog Bennie will also puke if he doesn't eat regularly, but he likes his food so that's usually not a problem.

My opinion is that she feels nauseous when her tummy is empty and then she doesn't want to eat and she ends up eating grass and she pukes. I think there was blood in the puke because of the walk and her panting, her throat got sensitive. We can't take them for walks often, the temperatures here are crazy ,so when we do take them to say they get super excited is an understatement.

So my plan now is to feed her normally morning/evening but also give her something middle of day and just before bed. I normally do this when I have something nice but it's not always I cook something appropriate for dogs so those days I haven't had anything for her. That has to change, I'll make meatballs or something to freeze so I have to give her everyday. It has to be something meaty, she won't eat anything else, she's unbelievably picky.

One thing I thought of just now when I got home is that I covered our fish pond 5 weeks ago cos we got a little chicken... Boeboe used to LOVE drinking from the pond, she would drink from it several times a day. She's definitely not drinking as much from her water bowl as she used to drink from the pond... can it be that that water actually helped her tummy? or is it a coincident?

Boeboe didn't have a fever and she couldn't see or feel anything obviously wrong with her so we're going with this now and hopes for the best. I think the scheduled snack times is what's going to help... She seems fine now, she ate this morning and she's been acting normal, giving stinky eye to the vet workers and ignoring me now cos I was a bad mommy for taking her to that horrible horrible place.

Oh, and I want to add, the bill was 39 USD... The vets up here charge basically nothing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Frustrating... But I know my vet told me that a dog will drink water when they are nauseous .

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

Frustrating... But I know my vet told me that a dog will drink water when they are nauseous .

What's strange is that she doesn't drink much from her water bowl but when the pond was uncovered she drank from it every time she walked past it... I hate to think that she's nauseous all the time:( but I'd like to think that I know her... she seems fine to me, she does sleep a lot but all of our dogs do... when she's up she's very alert and she loves to be in the garden with me, sniffing around running and barking at cars driving by. When weather is cooler she likes to play with Bennie, they'd run and rugby each other and fool around rolling on the grass. She's my little brown teddy bear, she's the only one of my dogs that likes to follow me around and "help" me with stuff.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Sorry I'm SO late to this… we had a family dinner last night because everyone was home… Lol I'm glad that you took her in, blood is a sign that she needs to be seen immediately. Well the antibiotic won't hurt, and the probiotic is a good idea… I would have to say that dogs in the "wild" would puke a lot because they would swallow bones and eat stuff that they really shouldn't. That being said NO bulldog would survive very long in the wild anyway… :giggle: I would give her a couple of days and if she's NOT better, or you just don't trust this vet take her in to the regular vet. I have some serious trust issues w/vets sometimes… keep us posted!!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

Sorry I'm SO late to this… we had a family dinner last night because everyone was home… Lol I'm glad that you took her in, blood is a sign that she needs to be seen immediately. Well the antibiotic won't hurt, and the probiotic is a good idea… I would have to say that dogs in the "wild" would puke a lot because they would swallow bones and eat stuff that they really shouldn't. That being said NO bulldog would survive very long in the wild anyway… :giggle: I would give her a couple of days and if she's NOT better, or you just don't trust this vet take her in to the regular vet. I have some serious trust issues w/vets sometimes… keep us posted!!!

Nice with family dinner, hope you all had a great time:)

When I saw the blood I got really worried cos that was new, it wasn't much thankfully, just a couple of dots and I had to wipe with white paper to see it but still... not good:( The vet didn't seem to bother about that at all:unsure: which bothered me cos the puking itself isn't that big of a deal to me, the blood is... She basically just checked Boeboe's temperature and looked at her eyes:blink: didn't feel her or anything. I might be a b* now but the vet looks like she's 12 years old and she speaks so softly that you can barely hear what she says. I've been looking around for a bulldog experienced vet, but you can't find one around here. I have super depression over our vet, I really liked him, he wasn't a people person and he was crazy expensive compared to others but he ALWAYS took great care of our dogs and there were never any misdiagnoses or problems. Riaan likes this one, but he's been there more often than me cos we buy the dog food from them, so I guess he'd now better than me.

Boeboe is doing great, she ate good today and had her mince and rice at noon. I don't know if I should wait a couple of days with the de-worming for her tummy's sake? I'm making her some dog friendly Swedish meatballs tonight for treats, I hope she'll like it, I flippin' cook more for the animals around here than I do for us, lol, but somehow cooking for them isn't as boring...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

What's strange is that she doesn't drink much from her water bowl but when the pond was uncovered she drank from it every time she walked past it... I hate to think that she's nauseous all the time:( but I'd like to think that I know her... she seems fine to me, she does sleep a lot but all of our dogs do... when she's up she's very alert and she loves to be in the garden with me, sniffing around running and barking at cars driving by. When weather is cooler she likes to play with Bennie, they'd run and rugby each other and fool around rolling on the grass. She's my little brown teddy bear, she's the only one of my dogs that likes to follow me around and "help" me with stuff.

Well, its better news than something worse. I would go ahead and give her the antiboitic and the probiotic. Can you maybe uncover a park of the pond? I would, and just see if she starts drinking from it again, then seems fine... there must be something in that water that makes her feel better :) Hugs!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

Well, its better news than something worse. I would go ahead and give her the antiboitic and the probiotic. Can you maybe uncover a park of the pond? I would, and just see if she starts drinking from it again, then seems fine... there must be something in that water that makes her feel better :) Hugs!

Ja, I want to take the cover off cos the chicken is getting bigger now, I don't think he'll fall in there at this stage... She'll definitely drink there again, she's wandering around the pond looking for a place to drink daily. Boeboe is doing fine so far, she's gotten her medicine, all but the de-wormer, I'm thinking I could wait a couple of days to let her tummy rest:unsure:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Ja, I want to take the cover off cos the chicken is getting bigger now, I don't think he'll fall in there at this stage... She'll definitely drink there again, she's wandering around the pond looking for a place to drink daily. Boeboe is doing fine so far, she's gotten her medicine, all but the de-wormer, I'm thinking I could wait a couple of days to let her tummy rest:unsure:

How she doing .....

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

How she doing .....

She's doing well, acting normal and most importantly no puking:) She's a bit upset with me about the medicine situation, she can smell a pill from a mile away:blink: I made her meatballs as treats and she loves them so that worked out good. I believe she'll be fine:)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

She's doing well, acting normal and most importantly no puking:) She's a bit upset with me about the medicine situation, she can smell a pill from a mile away:blink: I made her meatballs as treats and she loves them so that worked out good. I believe she'll be fine:)

GREAT.... keep us posted, especially once all the meds are done -- interesting to see how she bounces back

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

GREAT.... keep us posted, especially once all the meds are done -- interesting to see how she bounces back

Will do:) Her antibiotics are for 5 days so she'll be done on Monday... it's called Bemetrazole 200mg. She got prescribed 2 tablets/2 times a day, so a total of 4 tablets a day. I hate giving it to her, I have to put it down her throat otherwise she'll spit it out:( so she's not exactly best friends with me now...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Will do:) Her antibiotics are for 5 days so she'll be done on Monday... it's called Bemetrazole 200mg. She got prescribed 2 tablets/2 times a day, so a total of 4 tablets a day. I hate giving it to her, I have to put it down her throat otherwise she'll spit it out:( so she's not exactly best friends with me now...

try a small amount of vanilla ice cream... enough to cover the pill ! It is cold so they tend to just swallow

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

try a small amount of vanilla ice cream... enough to cover the pill ! It is cold so they tend to just swallow

I'll try it, I'm not sure she'll eat ice cream but if she doesn't there is more for me:tongue: I actually tried hiding them in a meatball tonight and it WORKED!!! I couldn't believe it:)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank

I am glad to hear that she is acting normally. I hope that the blood was just from her throat being aggravated from throwing up. Meatballs for meds is a great idea! I am sending positive thoughts that she continues to improve. I know that Frank will definitely throw up when he has an empty stomach.

Did your old vet move away? If he is still around, maybe he will make a special house call here or there.....

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

I am glad to hear that she is acting normally. I hope that the blood was just from her throat being aggravated from throwing up. Meatballs for meds is a great idea! I am sending positive thoughts that she continues to improve. I know that Frank will definitely throw up when he has an empty stomach.

Did your old vet move away? If he is still around, maybe he will make a special house call here or there.....

Thank you:) The house our vet was located in got sold because they are planning a big office building there :( His team got split up and the last thing I heard was that he's going to England to work there. We'll find another vet eventually, I just have to ask around a bit... it's not easy to trust someone else, especially not since we've been so happy with Dr. Dave as we call him. I have one in mind but he's about 200 km from where we live... the distances here are crazy, it's frustrating when you can't find what you need fairly close by:(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.