Crappy update! Boeboe's had some eating problems lately :(

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
This started about 4-6 weeks ago... Sometimes Boeboe doesn't want to eat in the mornings, that hasn't been a problem before but now if she doesn't eat she'll puke up yellow bile and after that it's very hard to get her to eat anything which adds to the problem, it's like an evil circle. Then I feed her chicken and rice for a couple of days and she's back to normal again until next time she doesn't feel like eating breakfast, which is usually a week or two later.

I haven't really put much thought into it cos she acts normal and she gets back to normal as soon as she eats so I just figured I have to make sure she's got something in her tummy... which has worked great, but if a dog doesn't want to eat it's not easy to make them:( I try to always have something extra nice for her but it's not always it helps and sometimes she'll only eat the nice stuff which isn't enough to keep her tummy happy.

Tonight her dinner got dragged out till later cos we took them for a walk since it was finally a rainy day here and not so warm. We left them to calm down after the walk cos they are always very excited during and after and I don't want to feed them when in that state... that might not matter, I just have the idea it's not good:unsure: She also ate breakfast early cos I rushed away to manage two basset hounds that were on the run in town, so this all tonight is cos I didn't think of giving her a snack or something else during the day:eek:

So she puked... and now my husband is going crazy here, calling the vet at 9 pm without even talking to me about the situation. I know it's my fault for not managing her food good today, I truly think that if she just eats she'll be fine and that is the problem but he thinks it's something serious:( I feel awful now, my husband is usually the one saying I'm paranoid about the dogs but now he's the one thinking something is wrong with her. We're taking her in as soon as the vet opens, which is about 9 hours from now. It's 10:45 pm here now and she had some chicken and rice before, eating with good appetite.

Any thoughts? Boeboe will be 6 years old in February, we've tried different foods for her but she ends up puking from them so I know she's got a sensitive tummy. We're thinking of trying to switch food for her but since it's been a mess before i hesitate... I guess I'll have to hear what the vet says, I'm so worried now:(

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Re: Boeboe's had some eating problems lately :(

I think she is being finicky and then gets an upset tummy which puts her off her food. It is a cycle like you say. Frankie does this sometimes. I ususally will scramble and egg and mix it into his food and he then eats it like a champ. A vet visit is a good idea just to make sure nothing else is wrong.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I agree w/Rosalie… maybe a vet check to rule out a stomach bug. Older dogs become finicky eaters, the yellow bile may be just an empty stomach. Some members on here were doing the plain rice cake thing before bed...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

I think she is being finicky and then gets an upset tummy which puts her off her food. It is a cycle like you say. Frankie does this sometimes. I ususally will scramble and egg and mix it into his food and he then eats it like a champ. A vet visit is a good idea just to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Ja, all is fine as long as she eats. It's my fault I got sidetracked today, this wouldn't have happened if I had fed her at her normal eating time. It was stupid of me to agree on a walk:( I didn't want to feed her before the walk cos I'm scared of twisted tummy.

One thing that's concerning to me about her puke today is that there were some blood in it, like small lumps, bright red, so it's not from her tummy right? must have been from her throat? I don't know why that happened, she puked twice tonight right after each other, one pile was yellowish/brown and the other one more brownish with the small blood lumps in... normally it's more yellow. That is worrying... I really hope she'll be fine, and that there isn't anything serious going on. It's sadly possible that there is something wrong, I just didn't see it cos i thought it was her sensitive tummy causing the problem:(

I hope this vet is good, our vet that we've used since they were puppies closed down end of November so now I don't know where to turn:( we'll try this out and see how it goes...

What do you think, is this emergency or could we take her in Saturday? I'm thinking cos the puke had some blood in it's emergency... if it had been yellow like normal I would have probably waited till Saturday...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

I agree w/Rosalie… maybe a vet check to rule out a stomach bug. Older dogs become finicky eaters, the yellow bile may be just an empty stomach. Some members on here were doing the plain rice cake thing before bed...

Mm, Boeboe wouldn't look at a rice cake even:blush2: the only thing that I can get her to eat is meaty stuff and egg if I'm in luck... she's extremely picky:( Please Tracey, what do you think, emergency or can it wait till Saturday? I don't have a car so it's always such a problem. Please take a look at my previous post ^ about the blood in the puke...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I'm with you Petra... Blood worries me - I would be going in. Rather be wrong and told she is OK than the alternative

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

Boeboe's been sleeping and snoring now for a couple of hours so I'm gonna head to bed too, early morning tomorrow (5 am) to get to the vet. I just want to clarify why I ask if anyone else thinks it's an emergency cos I myself get pissed when ppl don't take their dogs to the vet... This vet we have to go to tomorrow isn't our regular vet, they closed down and now this is our only option for tomorrow. If we wait till Saturday we could take her to a proper bulldog vet in the capital. These vets up here where we live are mainly farm vets, they rarely see bulldogs, if even ever, and that scares the crap out of me:( They better not get the idea of sedating her cos then I'll die there right on the spot. Oh, the joys of living in Africa...

I'll update tomorrow on how it went.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Mm, Boeboe wouldn't look at a rice cake even:blush2: the only thing that I can get her to eat is meaty stuff and egg if I'm in luck... she's extremely picky:( Please Tracey, what do you think, emergency or can it wait till Saturday? I don't have a car so it's always such a problem. Please take a look at my previous post ^ about the blood in the puke...

I think if I saw blood, I'd be going in. I hope its nothing serious! Poor Boeboe.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

I'm with you Petra... Blood worries me - I would be going in. Rather be wrong and told she is OK than the alternative

Ja, it's not how it normally looks... I guess there are explanations but like you say, I'm rather safe than sorry. Boeboe's been sleeping now for quite a while, she seems normal, so I'm heading to bed too. Alarm goes of in 4 hours and 15 minutes.

I'll post an update tomorrow. I just wish we could have taken her on Saturday to a more qualified vet... I worry about this one, it's new and that's always scary:(

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

I agree, first post didn't have blood in it

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)

Good luck tomorrow! Hopefully just billous from an empty tummy. Poor baby, I hope she feels better. xo

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray

Poor Boeboe :( I'm sorry the two of you are going through this [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] I'm thinking of you both and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I hope you get good news at the vet tomorrow please keep us posted!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,

oh i hope all goes well,, i panic at everything.. my dogs go thru stages of eating.. sometimes they don't eat all of their food but next day they will.. my odie use to throw up yellowish stuff but my breeder said it was because his stomach was empty.. at that time i was only feeding once a day.. i didn't realize two small meals were better.. of course it was very long ago and we learn from our mistakes.. i agree with what you said about people not taking their pets to the vet when they need it.. makes my blood boil.. hope all is well..

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks everyone:) we're leaving now, Boeboe slept nicely all night and she ate her food this morning (chicken and rice, left some rice but ate all chicken). I didn't want to leave her without breakfast so the vet can't sedate her... I'm thinking that's good... I worry cos this vet is new and not used to treating bulldogs... is the vet thinks we need to x-ray her we can take her in again or go to the capital for that on Saturday.

I'll update as soon as I get home.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo

Praying for Boeboe that everything will be ok with this Sweetie Pie. I will be waiting on the posts from you to see how she is doing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online