Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boeboe's had some eating problems lately :(

oh i hope all goes well,, i panic at everything.. my dogs go thru stages of eating.. sometimes they don't eat all of their food but next day they will.. my odie use to throw up yellowish stuff but my breeder said it was because his stomach was empty.. at that time i was only feeding once a day.. i didn't realize two small meals were better.. of course it was very long ago and we learn from our mistakes.. i agree with what you said about people not taking their pets to the vet when they need it.. makes my blood boil.. hope all is well..

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone we're leaving now, Boeboe slept nicely all night and she ate her food this morning (chicken and rice, left some rice but ate all chicken). I didn't want to leave her without breakfast so the vet can't sedate her... I'm thinking that's good... I worry cos this vet is new and not used to treating bulldogs... is the vet thinks we need to x-ray her we can take her in again or go to the capital for that on Saturday.

I'll update as soon as I get home.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

3. Likes CCandMurray, Biogirl71 liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Praying for Boeboe that everything will be ok with this Sweetie Pie. I will be waiting on the posts from you to see how she is doing.

5. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @My Otis We're back and this is what we got out of it:

Antibiotic - The vet doesn't know what's going on and she wants to give Antibiotics as a starter route.

Protexin - Probiotic powder to balance her tummy out.

Ulsanic - To help heal whatever caused the blood in the puke. The vet says they have something in their throat that's sensitive to puking... I can't remember what the name of it was

De-wormer - Cos that can cause dogs to feel nauseous...

You know the feeling when you go to the doctor and you basically feel like you'd been better off at home with an aspirin? That's kind of how I feel... She says it's not normal for dogs to puke, and I do agree with that, but she also states that in nature they apparently don't puke when their tummies are empty... I have personally not seen many bulldogs in nature lately, but maybe that's just me... I know for a fact dogs can sometimes puke from an empty tummy, I had a Jack Russel 15 years ago that had to eat special food 3-4 times a day cos if he didn't he would puke. My male bulldog Bennie will also puke if he doesn't eat regularly, but he likes his food so that's usually not a problem.

My opinion is that she feels nauseous when her tummy is empty and then she doesn't want to eat and she ends up eating grass and she pukes. I think there was blood in the puke because of the walk and her panting, her throat got sensitive. We can't take them for walks often, the temperatures here are crazy ,so when we do take them to say they get super excited is an understatement.

So my plan now is to feed her normally morning/evening but also give her something middle of day and just before bed. I normally do this when I have something nice but it's not always I cook something appropriate for dogs so those days I haven't had anything for her. That has to change, I'll make meatballs or something to freeze so I have to give her everyday. It has to be something meaty, she won't eat anything else, she's unbelievably picky.

One thing I thought of just now when I got home is that I covered our fish pond 5 weeks ago cos we got a little chicken... Boeboe used to LOVE drinking from the pond, she would drink from it several times a day. She's definitely not drinking as much from her water bowl as she used to drink from the pond... can it be that that water actually helped her tummy? or is it a coincident?

Boeboe didn't have a fever and she couldn't see or feel anything obviously wrong with her so we're going with this now and hopes for the best. I think the scheduled snack times is what's going to help... She seems fine now, she ate this morning and she's been acting normal, giving stinky eye to the vet workers and ignoring me now cos I was a bad mommy for taking her to that horrible horrible place.

Oh, and I want to add, the bill was 39 USD... The vets up here charge basically nothing.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, Biogirl71, CCandMurray liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Frustrating... But I know my vet told me that a dog will drink water when they are nauseous .
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Frustrating... But I know my vet told me that a dog will drink water when they are nauseous .
    What's strange is that she doesn't drink much from her water bowl but when the pond was uncovered she drank from it every time she walked past it... I hate to think that she's nauseous all the time but I'd like to think that I know her... she seems fine to me, she does sleep a lot but all of our dogs do... when she's up she's very alert and she loves to be in the garden with me, sniffing around running and barking at cars driving by. When weather is cooler she likes to play with Bennie, they'd run and rugby each other and fool around rolling on the grass. She's my little brown teddy bear, she's the only one of my dogs that likes to follow me around and "help" me with stuff.

10. Likes 2BullyMama, Biogirl71 liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I'm SO late to this… we had a family dinner last night because everyone was home… Lol I'm glad that you took her in, blood is a sign that she needs to be seen immediately. Well the antibiotic won't hurt, and the probiotic is a good idea… I would have to say that dogs in the "wild" would puke a lot because they would swallow bones and eat stuff that they really shouldn't. That being said NO bulldog would survive very long in the wild anyway… I would give her a couple of days and if she's NOT better, or you just don't trust this vet take her in to the regular vet. I have some serious trust issues w/vets sometimes… keep us posted!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Sorry I'm SO late to this… we had a family dinner last night because everyone was home… Lol I'm glad that you took her in, blood is a sign that she needs to be seen immediately. Well the antibiotic won't hurt, and the probiotic is a good idea… I would have to say that dogs in the "wild" would puke a lot because they would swallow bones and eat stuff that they really shouldn't. That being said NO bulldog would survive very long in the wild anyway… I would give her a couple of days and if she's NOT better, or you just don't trust this vet take her in to the regular vet. I have some serious trust issues w/vets sometimes… keep us posted!!!

Nice with family dinner, hope you all had a great time

When I saw the blood I got really worried cos that was new, it wasn't much thankfully, just a couple of dots and I had to wipe with white paper to see it but still... not good The vet didn't seem to bother about that at all which bothered me cos the puking itself isn't that big of a deal to me, the blood is... She basically just checked Boeboe's temperature and looked at her eyes didn't feel her or anything. I might be a b* now but the vet looks like she's 12 years old and she speaks so softly that you can barely hear what she says. I've been looking around for a bulldog experienced vet, but you can't find one around here. I have super depression over our vet, I really liked him, he wasn't a people person and he was crazy expensive compared to others but he ALWAYS took great care of our dogs and there were never any misdiagnoses or problems. Riaan likes this one, but he's been there more often than me cos we buy the dog food from them, so I guess he'd now better than me.

Boeboe is doing great, she ate good today and had her mince and rice at noon. I don't know if I should wait a couple of days with the de-worming for her tummy's sake? I'm making her some dog friendly Swedish meatballs tonight for treats, I hope she'll like it, I flippin' cook more for the animals around here than I do for us, lol, but somehow cooking for them isn't as boring...

13. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene, CCandMurray liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    What's strange is that she doesn't drink much from her water bowl but when the pond was uncovered she drank from it every time she walked past it... I hate to think that she's nauseous all the time but I'd like to think that I know her... she seems fine to me, she does sleep a lot but all of our dogs do... when she's up she's very alert and she loves to be in the garden with me, sniffing around running and barking at cars driving by. When weather is cooler she likes to play with Bennie, they'd run and rugby each other and fool around rolling on the grass. She's my little brown teddy bear, she's the only one of my dogs that likes to follow me around and "help" me with stuff.
    Well, its better news than something worse. I would go ahead and give her the antiboitic and the probiotic. Can you maybe uncover a park of the pond? I would, and just see if she starts drinking from it again, then seems fine... there must be something in that water that makes her feel better Hugs!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

15. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Well, its better news than something worse. I would go ahead and give her the antiboitic and the probiotic. Can you maybe uncover a park of the pond? I would, and just see if she starts drinking from it again, then seems fine... there must be something in that water that makes her feel better Hugs!
    Ja, I want to take the cover off cos the chicken is getting bigger now, I don't think he'll fall in there at this stage... She'll definitely drink there again, she's wandering around the pond looking for a place to drink daily. Boeboe is doing fine so far, she's gotten her medicine, all but the de-wormer, I'm thinking I could wait a couple of days to let her tummy rest

17. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama, Biogirl71 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Ja, I want to take the cover off cos the chicken is getting bigger now, I don't think he'll fall in there at this stage... She'll definitely drink there again, she's wandering around the pond looking for a place to drink daily. Boeboe is doing fine so far, she's gotten her medicine, all but the de-wormer, I'm thinking I could wait a couple of days to let her tummy rest
    How she doing .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    How she doing .....

She's doing well, acting normal and most importantly no puking She's a bit upset with me about the medicine situation, she can smell a pill from a mile away I made her meatballs as treats and she loves them so that worked out good. I believe she'll be fine

20. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads