pfgray2008

Aug 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Wondering if anyone has ever come across a skin sore that looks like this? Itā€™s not a Hot Spot thatā€™s for sure. This all started several weeks ago when I was running my hand through my Bulldogs coat and I notice a small red irritated circle in which the hair follicles came out easily. The diameter usually doesnā€™t increase much and the spot doesnā€™t weep. For the past few weeks I simple disinfect the area and remove the hair until I can find the perimeter. In a few days the skin heals rapidly and the hair grows back but this has become a cycle of sorts. Each time small spot heals another will start in the same localized area on his back. It would seem like itā€™s slowly migrating while healing. My Bulldog doesnā€™t appear to notice at all, Chubs shows no signs of distress or itching, he's nearly 2 year old male and has a clean bill of health. I called the breeder for advice and from my description she seen something similar but couldnā€™t identify what it is or the cause but wasnā€™t too worried. But Iā€™m starting to get a little nervous maybe my fear is getting the best of me but I wondering if could be form eczema, manage or a skin parasiteā€¦
IMG_1585.JPGIMG_1588.JPGIMG_1629.JPGIMG_1631.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It looks like it could be a staph infection.... if it is he will need antibiotics to clear it up (like 3 wks) and it usually is due to a weaken immune system so it is allergy or food related. Do you give any probiotics during meals (yogurt?)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola gets opportunistic staph infections, and she's fighting one right now. I say fighting but she isn't bothered one bit. Three weeks antibiotics yes. We moved to a stronger antibiotic because it came back after the first round. Lola gets it in the late fall almost every year. She is on a low dose of steroid/antiinflammatories for her overall itchies, which I think weakens the immune system. We're now going to every other day with the 'roids, combined with two weeks of antibiotics, and that should be it until next year :). We know that her body can't fight it when we see more than 2 hairless, flaky spots on her body...means a few more might be popping up. The occasional flare up is ok for me, meaning i see a bald spot but her hair starts immediately growing back. I posted some images in a thread a while back of the progression. At that time I had no idea and I was freaking out :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f.../45626-8-week-english-bulldog-bald-spots.html

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Wondering if anyone has ever come across a skin sore that looks like this? Itā€™s not a Hot Spot thatā€™s for sure. This all started several weeks ago when I was running my hand through my Bulldogs coat and I notice a small red irritated circle in which the hair follicles came out easily. The diameter usually doesnā€™t increase much and the spot doesnā€™t weep. For the past few weeks I simple disinfect the area and remove the hair until I can find the perimeter. In a few days the skin heals rapidly and the hair grows back but this has become a cycle of sorts. Each time small spot heals another will start in the same localized area on his back. It would seem like itā€™s slowly migrating while healing. My Bulldog doesnā€™t appear to notice at all, Chubs shows no signs of distress or itching, he's nearly 2 year old male and has a clean bill of health. I called the breeder for advice and from my description she seen something similar but couldnā€™t identify what it is or the cause but wasnā€™t too worried. But Iā€™m starting to get a little nervous maybe my fear is getting the best of me but I wondering if could be form eczema, manage or a skin parasiteā€¦
View attachment 93850View attachment 93851View attachment 93852View attachment 93853
Hi there, maybe consider taking Chubs to the vet for a skin test. His breeder won't be able to diagnose this over the phone. If it has been several weeks, it is probably best that a professional take a look at it. What are you using to disinfect the area?

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It looks like it could be a staph infection.... if it is he will need antibiotics to clear it up (like 3 wks) and it usually is due to a weaken immune system so it is allergy or food related. Do you give any probiotics during meals (yogurt?)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] what kind of yogurt to you give your bullies and how often?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry,haven't been "on", but I agree with 2BullyMama-it does look like a staph infection..........

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Staph but also could be a start of mange.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Yeah the skin doesn't look flaky like Lola's hair and skin flake off when she has a staph flare up, but I thought it might be just the camera angle. If it were mange wouldn't it be itchy??

sent from my droid mini

beto86

Nov 2, 2014
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola had something like this happened to her about a month ago. I took her to the vet, after he found out it was not staph he recommended to wash the area at least 2 times a week with an antiseptic shampoo and within 3 weeks she was perfect. I don't know about yours but I could feel some type of crust on the skin.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

beto86

Nov 2, 2014
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=9606]pfgray2008[/MENTION] uploadfromtaptalk1449956995063.png This is the shampoo. It has to stay on for 5 to 10 min. Even after the problem goes away he recommended to use it as her regular shampoo.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.