Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your vet to prescribe than sell you your pet's medication?

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default How do you get your vet to prescribe than sell you your pet's medication?

It is obvious that the Vet Office would rather sell you the medication at their marked up prices than writing you a prescription so you can order online. As individuals, we always get our prescription from our doctors so we can go to CVS or Rite Aid.

Why not with our dogs. I asked the vet if she could write me the prescription and she just told me to call the vet office when I ran out. Not the direction I was hoping as the internet's prices are much more reasonable... up to 50% discount for example.

So what can we do... I mean money does not necessarily grow on trees needless to say?
    Hug your bully today

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How do you get your vet to prescribe than sell you your pet's medication?

I'm honestly not 100% how this works and I do need to educate myself. I will offer, though, that many regular pharmacies CVS, Walgreens, etc. offer listings of pet meds that are available to pick up there. I will be 100% honest and say that I am a fairly new pet parent and Murray is the first dog that I've had as an adult, his vet is a friend of mine that I've known since we were kids and when I see her next I will try to get an honest response on this.

3. Likes Vikinggirl, Texas Carol liked this post
    Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you get your vet to prescribe than sell you your pet's medication?

I work for Costco and we sell pet meds all the time. More and more retail pharmacies are starting to do this. I never get mine from my vet anymore if I can help it. In fact....you don't even have to get a prescription from your vet. My vet just picks up the phone and calls it in if need be. There are certain meds that my Costco won't or can't carry.

Also, a lot of the medication that vets prescribe ARE actually human meds.

Costco offers a plan for members that is called CMPP. Costco Member Prescription Program. This is a program Costco offers their Members and their dependents who don't have prescription insurance. Since your furkid is a dependent they qualify for the additional discount.

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

That is really interesting and helpful! I will definitely need to look into that the next time Frank needs meds.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

6. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Wow, this is all new to me. Occasionally, my vets have given me prescriptions to have filled at the pharmacy when they don't have something in their office. Otherwise, I've always just gotten it from the vet. Never even thought of asking for a script!

8. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

You can ask your vet to write you a prescription and have it filled at a pharmacy, as many meds used are the same for humans and animals. The pharmacy is much cheaper than what the vet charges. Also there are many over the counter products and supplements that are safe for dogs as well.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

10. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@harveyspecter I am very interested in this point you just brought up! I think you may have inspired a new piece…I am going to look into this!!

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

I almost always ask my vet to write a prescription for pills. Eye drops I don't. Another time I don't is if I am bringing my dog/cat home after surgery and I need everything right then and don't want to spend time waiting for it to be filled elsewhere. One vet practice used to charge me $15 for the initial prescription but I don't go there anymore and I haven't been charged anywhere since. It does save a lot of money. My dachshund is on Amitriptyline which the vet will charge over $28. Kroger charges $11 (used to be $4 but they recently changed it).
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

13. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I have actually asked my vet to do this, we have gotten many meds thru our regular pharmacy. The vet's mark ups are ridiculous…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Vets charge want they want and a lot of them gouge the public! Excellent topic @harveyspecter this is one subject that no one really thinks about. When our French was diagnosed with cancer the price of the meds alone were over $9000 and 3 of them from a regular CVS was more then 40% off the price that the cancer centre was going to charge.

I think the one thing that people would always be worried about is the care that your dog would get after demanding a prescription and that would be a GREAT concern. But on the other hand if you ARE going to a reputable bully doctor I don't think it would make a bit of difference.

Awesome thread.

16. Likes 2BullyMama, harveyspecter liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Vets charge want they want and a lot of them gouge the public! Excellent topic @harveyspecter this is one subject that no one really thinks about. When our French was diagnosed with cancer the price of the meds alone were over $9000 and 3 of them from a regular CVS was more then 40% off the price that the cancer centre was going to charge.

I think the one thing that people would always be worried about is the care that your dog would get after demanding a prescription and that would be a GREAT concern. But on the other hand if you ARE going to a reputable bully doctor I don't think it would make a bit of difference.

Awesome thread.

Nailed it. Same as our regular docs, they have no issue writing a prescription as they got paid for the consultation. Not that we want the vets to make money, at the same time I do not want to overpay for medication that you can get elsewhere @ a 50% discount.

hope all is well, merry x'mas & happy Hanukkah to all.
    Hug your bully today

18. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

We ask our vet directly for a prescription, especially for antibiotics and metronidazole because they are quite inexpensive at our local pharmacy. In the states though, prescriptions for pets are not covered and I think we've paid around $30 for three weeks worth of antibiotics (in the US, when we lived in canada this was lmore like $8). Just picked up some stronger antibiotics at the vet, it was $115 for 14 pills. which we cut in half. pissed. Another med Lola takes, vanactyl-p/temaril-p is not for humans, so I've asked our vet to mail me a prescription so I can get it by mail order myself. She did give me a discount since we take it as a chronic medication rather than acute, but I can find it online for 0.56/pill, vet is still 0.76/pill.

20. Likes dolphin liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads