Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
so glad that Abbott is home and doing well! His after pic looks so so much better!!! I hope he stops throwing up soon and that everything continues smoothly on the way to recovery :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you so much for the very help information! I do have a question...after Blossom's surgery how long was it before her eye looked normal? And does it look the same as it did before she had the surgery?

Hi Carolyn, Blossom's eye didn't really have much swelling after her surgery, but it was a little red for about a week post surgery. we had to put an antibiotic cream in her eye everyday, and she had a follow up check a week after and she was fine after that. Her eyes looked beautiful after the repair, you can't even tell she ever had cherry eye, and it's been 4 years since she had them done.

Here are some before and after pictures of her eyes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 50
OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thank you so much for sharing the before and after pictures! You're right-you can't tell that she ever had cherry eye. I'm hoping to be able to post similar pictures of Murray soon! The vet said he has swelling because of how inflamed and prolapsed the gland was, it was still swelling as she was doing the surgery but the swelling went down significantly by the time I picked him up. I guess I was just expecting that it would look back to normal or almost normal right away and it doesn't so it was just a little startling to see. I'm pretty new to all of this so I wasn't 100% sure of what to expect. Feeling a little better today when the vet tech at Petco said that it looks good for the day after the surgery she certainly knows better than I! We go back to the vet on Monday 12/14 and I'm hoping and praying that by then Murray's eye will be feeling and looking much better.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you so much for sharing the before and after pictures! You're right-you can't tell that she ever had cherry eye. I'm hoping to be able to post similar pictures of Murray soon! The vet said he has swelling because of how inflamed and prolapsed the gland was, it was still swelling as she was doing the surgery but the swelling went down significantly by the time I picked him up. I guess I was just expecting that it would look back to normal or almost normal right away and it doesn't so it was just a little startling to see. I'm pretty new to all of this so I wasn't 100% sure of what to expect. Feeling a little better today when the vet tech at Petco said that it looks good for the day after the surgery she certainly knows better than I! We go back to the vet on Monday 12/14 and I'm hoping and praying that by then Murray's eye will be feeling and looking much better.

Aww I'm sure he will be much better next week, every dog is different and every surgery is different for each dog. Just keep putting the drops or cream in his eye, and try to keep him quiet and don't allow him to jump on or off of beds or couches until he heals.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE had a cone collar after his cherry eye op and I think I suffered more with him walking into my legs I was black and blue but I guess that was his way to punish me for putting him through the op I did cut it down a bit as it was so darn long but he needed it so I percerveered the time he needed it.

Good luck Caroline. And give Murray a huge kiss and hug from me and Ftse

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Penny HATED the cone as well. She whined at night with it- so we ended up camping out downstairs for about 3 nights. Whenever we were with her I kept it off. She seemed much happier, plus someone was ALWAYS watching her to make sure she didn't scratch or rub her nose. After that we only put the cone on her when she went in her feat when we went back to work almost a week later. At her follow up- vet said everything looked great and it was ok to discontinue the cone. LOL- if she only knew!
Praying for a speedy recovery!!! Remember, everyday gets a little better and a little easier!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
so glad that Abbott is home and doing well! His after pic looks so so much better!!! I hope he stops throwing up soon and that everything continues smoothly on the way to recovery :)
We made another trip to the vet this morning so he could get a shot for the nausea.He can't hold anything down yet so it's a wait and see at this point.It was a long night and morning.Glad your baby is doing good [emoji3] [emoji190]

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Murphy went in for cherry eye surgery 3 times.
His left eye was very stubborn!!

He was sent home with a cone and I had him keep it on for a week every time
Just in case he got the zoomies & accidentally ran into something.

The swelling is normal unfortunately :(
It doesn't look flattering at all. But it goes down steadily.

Every time he got drops and pills for the inflammation.

I put cold compress on his eye every twenty minutes or so for the first couple days.
( which will also help with the gunk that will be coming from his eye)

About the 4th day I take a warm rag and gently wipe to g et all the yucky stuff out and it should be good from there.
He had his last surgery right before thanksgiving

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I also had a pillow with him wherever he wanted to lay down
It makes it easier to elevate his head
Even in his kennel

I took toys away as well for about two weeks just so it wouldn't pop back out again
He was not very happy about it
Sat on the couch and growled at me
Not aggressively but he just wanted to play!
image.jpeg

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
We made another trip to the vet this morning so he could get a shot for the nausea.He can't hold anything down yet so it's a wait and see at this point.It was a long night and morning.Glad your baby is doing good [emoji3] [emoji190]

Poor Abbott :( I'm so sorry to hear he's still nauseous :( I hope the shot is helping! Murray and I went to the vet this morning too she said its kind of a wait and see what his eye will end up looking like but he is healing and we'll see what happens over the next several days until we go back on Monday 12/14. I'm hoping Abbott is feeling better very very soon!! Keeping both of you in my thoughts

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murphy went in for cherry eye surgery 3 times.
His left eye was very stubborn!!

He was sent home with a cone and I had him keep it on for a week every time
Just in case he got the zoomies & accidentally ran into something.

The swelling is normal unfortunately :(
It doesn't look flattering at all. But it goes down steadily.

Every time he got drops and pills for the inflammation.

I put cold compress on his eye every twenty minutes or so for the first couple days.
( which will also help with the gunk that will be coming from his eye)

About the 4th day I take a warm rag and gently wipe to g et all the yucky stuff out and it should be good from there.
He had his last surgery right before thanksgiving

View attachment 93790View attachment 93791

Poor Murphy! Three surgeries? That's awful :( I'm going to try the cold and then warm compresses thank you for sharing your experience!!!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
If only they did lasik for dogs- I had mine done 8 years ago and had a much easier recovery for about the same price!

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
You are welcome :)
I'm still learning with him but all those things helped him.
Can't wait to see it all healed.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Ughhh so we're one week in today and naturally Murray figured out how to take off and bite a hole in the zen cone so we're onto zen cone #2. Does anybody think I have even a remote shot at getting my money back from the first one if I try to return it? I'm thinking of trying and seeing what happens

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ughhh so we're one week in today and naturally Murray figured out how to take off and bite a hole in the zen cone so we're onto zen cone #2. Does anybody think I have even a remote shot at getting my money back from the first one if I try to return it? I'm thinking of trying and seeing what happens

Worst they will do is say no....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online