Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Good morning everyone! Murray was neutered and had his cherry eye tacked yesterday. He was sent home with a soft cone that he was somewhat ok with yesterday but not at all happy with through the night or for the past few hours. Any tips for what I could do to make it better? Also his eye seems a little more swollen this morning but he's due to take his medicine in a couple of hours and I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should call the vet and take him back in? Any experience you have with this would be very helpful :) thank you so much! He's already chewed one hole in the cone :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All honesty, I have never used a cone on any of my bullies --- they usually can't reach what was operated on and they never really tried to get at the areas. Cheli once cut his cornea and his eye was so swollen and painful all he wanted to do was sleep

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Good morning everyone! Murray was neutered and had his cherry eye tacked yesterday. He was sent home with a soft cone that he was somewhat ok with yesterday but not at all happy with through the night or for the past few hours. Any tips for what I could do to make it better? Also his eye seems a little more swollen this morning but he's due to take his medicine in a couple of hours and I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should call the vet and take him back in? Any experience you have with this would be very helpful :) thank you so much! He's already chewed one hole in the cone :(

Hi Carolyn, I had Dozer neutered at 7 months old, and Blossom was spayed and had her cherry eye repaired at the same time. Our guys were not sent home with a cone, and neither one of them wore one or needed one. They never scratched or interfered with their stitches. The only thing I found difficult after their surgeries was trying to keep them quiet and not running around or jumping on or off things. Blossoms eye didn't really swell too much, so I don't know if it's normal to have a lot of swelling of the eye. Each dog is different, so I would just call the vet and ask if swelling is normal after cherry eye surgery. I hope Murray heals quickly, and everything goes well. I found that Dozer really healed quickly after his neuter surgery, and other than having to put daily cream in Blossoms eye, she didn't have any complications after surgery and also bounced back within a week.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude had entropion surgery on both eyes. She also had her nares widened. She is going to have to wear the cone for two weeks. DSCF5696.JPG She is not a happy camper,and I have to hold her food and water for her,as she can't get to the bowls,due to the cone. She would scratch her stitches out,if she didn't wear the cone.
We both hate it,but gotta' deal with it. Sorry I can't help with Cherry eye,as (so far) we haven't had that. Give the vet a call.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I did give the vet a call, she said that the swelling over the next few days even a week or so is common, I guess his gland was more inflamed/prolapsed than she had thought during the surgery it's gone down a little after more ointment and medicine. He's already figured out how to chew one small hole and break the toggle on the soft collar so we're going to try the blow up 'pillow' collar next and then if that is still a no go unfortunately we'll move to the hard collar. Sending healing thoughts hugs and prayers to you and Maude both [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] I guess we will(and our "kids")have to suffer together!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] I guess we will(and our "kids")have to suffer together!
Cone heads or not our babies are tough! And we're bully parents so we have to be tough too. T minus 13 days until we beat the cone lol!!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
All I can tell you is try to keep calm because it is an ordeal.Abbotts eye surgery is happening now and this will be #3 cone head.He gets scared easier and bumps things but we all survive through it all.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
They make rings that are like life preservers, way better than a cone. We use them on our other breeds, never tried them in a bully, with all the extra neck skin, can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So we went to pet smart and got this blow up one image.jpegbut I wasn't happy with the way it fit and it kept falling off. So then we went to petco and got this one image.jpegwhich is fitting much better--and--bonus--the girl who helped us at petco used to be a vet tech at the vet where Murray got his surgery, knows the vet who did it and said that his eye looks really good considering that he just got it done yesterday so now I'm feeling better about it :)

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
So we went to pet smart and got this blow up one View attachment 93766but I wasn't happy with the way it fit and it kept falling off. So then we went to petco and got this one View attachment 93767which is fitting much better--and--bonus--the girl who helped us at petco used to be a vet tech at the vet where Murray got his surgery, knows the vet who did it and said that his eye looks really good considering that he just got it done yesterday so now I'm feeling better about it :)

That's exactly what I was talking about, way more comfy than those cones! Glad everything is turning up Millhouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Glad you got it sorted out for him!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi Carolyn, I had Dozer neutered at 7 months old, and Blossom was spayed and had her cherry eye repaired at the same time. Our guys were not sent home with a cone, and neither one of them wore one or needed one. They never scratched or interfered with their stitches. The only thing I found difficult after their surgeries was trying to keep them quiet and not running around or jumping on or off things. Blossoms eye didn't really swell too much, so I don't know if it's normal to have a lot of swelling of the eye. Each dog is different, so I would just call the vet and ask if swelling is normal after cherry eye surgery. I hope Murray heals quickly, and everything goes well. I found that Dozer really healed quickly after his neuter surgery, and other than having to put daily cream in Blossoms eye, she didn't have any complications after surgery and also bounced back within a week.

Thank you so much for the very help information! I do have a question...after Blossom's surgery how long was it before her eye looked normal? And does it look the same as it did before she had the surgery?

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Glad you got it sorted out for him!

Thank you :) he's still not thrilled with having to wear it but so far *knock on wood* he seems to be tolerating it much better! Now if we only could master the art of not having it be such a fight to get the ointment in lol but one thing at a time I guess!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
So we went to pet smart and got this blow up one View attachment 93766but I wasn't happy with the way it fit and it kept falling off. So then we went to petco and got this one View attachment 93767which is fitting much better--and--bonus--the girl who helped us at petco used to be a vet tech at the vet where Murray got his surgery, knows the vet who did it and said that his eye looks really good considering that he just got it done yesterday so now I'm feeling better about it :)
We tried the soft and Abbott popped the velcro strap.lol He goes crazy when he hears velcro.We picked him up at 5:00 tonight and he is nauseated from anesthesia and has been throwing up off and on and all the other perks that come with coming down from anesthetics.It looks so painful but I keep telling myself everyone's exhausted but we will all be OK [emoji3] Here's his pre op pics..They are graphic..But thank God all is good.uploadfromtaptalk1449286675999.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1449286691319.jpeg

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online