Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    We made another trip to the vet this morning so he could get a shot for the nausea.He can't hold anything down yet so it's a wait and see at this point.It was a long night and morning.Glad your baby is doing good
    Poor Abbott I'm so sorry to hear he's still nauseous I hope the shot is helping! Murray and I went to the vet this morning too she said its kind of a wait and see what his eye will end up looking like but he is healing and we'll see what happens over the next several days until we go back on Monday 12/14. I'm hoping Abbott is feeling better very very soon!! Keeping both of you in my thoughts

Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlie View Post
    Murphy went in for cherry eye surgery 3 times.
    His left eye was very stubborn!!

He was sent home with a cone and I had him keep it on for a week every time
    Just in case he got the zoomies & accidentally ran into something.

The swelling is normal unfortunately
    It doesn't look flattering at all. But it goes down steadily.

Every time he got drops and pills for the inflammation.

I put cold compress on his eye every twenty minutes or so for the first couple days.
    ( which will also help with the gunk that will be coming from his eye)

About the 4th day I take a warm rag and gently wipe to g et all the yucky stuff out and it should be good from there.
    He had his last surgery right before thanksgiving

Attachment 93790Attachment 93791
    Poor Murphy! Three surgeries? That's awful I'm going to try the cold and then warm compresses thank you for sharing your experience!!!

Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

If only they did lasik for dogs- I had mine done 8 years ago and had a much easier recovery for about the same price!

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murphy Hudson Nash
    Likes (Received)

You are welcome
    I'm still learning with him but all those things helped him.
    Can't wait to see it all healed.

5. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Ughhh so we're one week in today and naturally Murray figured out how to take off and bite a hole in the zen cone so we're onto zen cone #2. Does anybody think I have even a remote shot at getting my money back from the first one if I try to return it? I'm thinking of trying and seeing what happens

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CCandMurray View Post
    Ughhh so we're one week in today and naturally Murray figured out how to take off and bite a hole in the zen cone so we're onto zen cone #2. Does anybody think I have even a remote shot at getting my money back from the first one if I try to return it? I'm thinking of trying and seeing what happens
    Worst they will do is say no....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

8. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I'd try it!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

10. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to try! Will let you guys know if the mission is a success or failure lol

Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Well folks, we go to the vet in the morning and thank god because at this point the cone and I are losing the battle and possibly the war to Murray with the cone. We've gone through one soft cone (he chewed through it) and two blow up cones the second of which was today and I discovered it when I got home from work not in enough time to get to petco before they closed to get a replacement so he's coneless which Murray is loving but I'm concerned about. I haven't seen him touch his eye but it does look more red today than usual and what's worse is I feel like where he was neutered the former 'bulge' is not as flat as it should be...granted neither of these are my areas of expertise. I'm just hoping we get good news at the vet tomorrow and not bad news like he needs cone number three and or additional surgery please keep your fingers crossed and good thoughts that we get some good news tomorrow at the vet!

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well folks, we go to the vet in the morning and thank god because at this point the cone and I are losing the battle and possibly the war to Murray with the cone. We've gone through one soft cone (he chewed through it) and two blow up cones the second of which was today and I discovered it when I got home from work not in enough time to get to petco before they closed to get a replacement so he's coneless which Murray is loving but I'm concerned about. I haven't seen him touch his eye but it does look more red today than usual and what's worse is I feel like where he was neutered the former 'bulge' is not as flat as it should be...granted neither of these are my areas of expertise. I'm just hoping we get good news at the vet tomorrow and not bad news like he needs cone number three and or additional surgery please keep your fingers crossed and good thoughts that we get some good news tomorrow at the vet!
    can you get a picture of the 'buldge'.... is it red/irritated at all?
    e.

Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Not red or irritated fortunately but I can't take a picture because I had to drop Murray off at home we got a flat tire on the way home from the vet so he's home and I'm waiting to get a new tire put on. The vet said he's healing normally and everything looks good and that his eye is healing well but it could be a couple months before it looks like the swelling/redness is completely gone. No more cone and Murray can return to normal activity so we're both pretty excited about that!

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Not red or irritated fortunately but I can't take a picture because I had to drop Murray off at home we got a flat tire on the way home from the vet so he's home and I'm waiting to get a new tire put on. The vet said he's healing normally and everything looks good and that his eye is healing well but it could be a couple months before it looks like the swelling/redness is completely gone. No more cone and Murray can return to normal activity so we're both pretty excited about that!
    Great news on Murray --- not so much for the car
    e.

17. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads