Eye Gunk issue

EnglishBullie

Oct 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Hi Friends :)

Kona has developed an irritated left eye. It appears reddish, compared to the other eye, with a greenish gunk forming every so often. There also appears to be a thin hazy layer over the eye. Any thoughts before I take him to the vet? Any feedback is greatly appreciated <3

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Kona has developed an irritated left eye. It appears reddish, compared to the other eye, with a greenish gunk forming every so often. There also appears to be a thin hazy layer over the eye. Any thoughts before I take him to the vet? Any feedback is greatly appreciated <3

Hey there, if the discharge you are seeing is green - I would take him it, that's sign of a possible infection. He may needs some drops. Try to keep them clean with some simple saline solution, but I'd have him checked out sooner than later, just so it doesn't get any worse. That Kona sure is a handsome fella. ;)

OP
EnglishBullie

EnglishBullie

Oct 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
Thanks TysMom! Will swing by the pet store and pick up saline solution this evening :)

OP
EnglishBullie

EnglishBullie

Oct 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
You can get it at the local drugstore, grocery store, etc. Just plain jane saline for eyes :)

Thank you! I have never used saline solution on Kona before. Assumed I needed a special pet mixture. Human saline solution is ok then? Any brand in particular?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you! I have never used saline solution on Kona before. Assumed I needed a special pet mixture. Human saline solution is ok then? Any brand in particular?

Yes, any kind as long as its plain saline. Its great to just keep eyes clean, and won't irritate. I use the Target brand one for Tyson. I wipe his eyes down after walks to get any dirt, allergens, etc off. However - the green gunk is a sign of possible infection, so he may need meds to clear that up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Jessica has you covered.... just wondering how your boy is doing and did you take him to the vet?

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

Harvey had the same issue. Went to the vet yesterday. He has mild to severe dry eyes. - He was tested for ulcer using Eye (Corneal) stain - no ulcers thank God. Doc said he does not have entropion (lashes), he was prescribed, Optimmune for keratoconjunctivitis (dry eyes); neo/poly/Dex Opthalmic solutions antibiotics for his dry eye infection.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank recently had a minor infection and a small corneal ulcer. We went to the vet and were prescribed a couple of types of drops, an antibiotic and an eye rinse. It cleared up in just a few days. Now we just put a couple of eye rinse drops into his eyes each day to keep them clear.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.