Help Needed! Harley is Sneezing and Reverse Sneezing a lot!! Any Ideas. possibe allegies?

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Hello All,

My 6 yr old EBD Harley is/was sneezing constantly and reverse sneezing a lot. She doesn't do it when sleeping or lying down with us. She is lethargic around the house and is sleeping more than usual. She seems a little out of sorts. She is not playing with my other EBD at all, like she normally would, she is not sitting on the couch barking at the people passing by as she sometimes does, when my wife or I come home from being out she greets us at the door but in a very subdued manner, not the big wiggles and I'm so glad to see you manner like she normally would. We had a real scare (which I posted here) with her earlier this month which turned out to be nothing.

I have done A LOT of research on this forum and on the web. Her reverse sneezing and sneezing is constant when she walks around the house and when she goes outside to do her business.

I have started her on Benadryl and giving her squirts of lemon juice. I took her for a good long walk today (to test her breathing etc) and she strutted around the neighborhood like she owned it (as usual) and did not sneeze. She reversed sneezed once after meeting another dog and jumping around a bit but that's it.

I am trying not to panic as I know reverse sneezing is common in EBD's but this doesn't make any sense to me. I'm thinking it is something in the house but I don't know what. We have not changed anything in the house or laundry detergents etc. She is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally. We clean her regularly every night and she has no sores or irritated areas on her skin and she is not scratching so I think it could be an allergy or reaction to something in the air in the house. She is not coughing up mucas and her nose isn't running. She is not vomiting either. Her breathing was fine on the walk and she seemed back to normal.

The only thing I can think of is the fireplace. We burn Duraflame fire logs in the fireplace and after the logs have burned out sometimes there is the smokey smell from the ashes. This smell happens when we burn real wood as well. We have always done this ever since we got her and it never bothered her.

I know there are a million and one things that it could be. I know EBD's are famous for breathing problems as well. I will be monitoring her closely to see if she gets any worse and take her to the Vet if needed. I just don't want to run to the vet right away and go through more tests to find nothing wrong with her.

If anyone has any ideas or other home remedies I would really appreciate it.

Cheers
David

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be something in the air. Keep doing what you are doing with the Benedryl and hopefully it will pass in a month or so. Spring and fall are bad times for allergies.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Her gum color okay?
Can you try to capture it on video incase you want to show the vet

OP
V

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Update- She is back to normal!!! What the hell??!!! I swear she is going to be the death of me!!! lmao!! She is playing, running, etc!! Thanks Laurie and David. Btw her gums are fine. I will keep her on the Benadryl and lemon for the rest of the week just to be sure..

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Update- She is back to normal!!! What the hell??!!! I swear she is going to be the death of me!!! lmao!! She is playing, running, etc!! Thanks Laurie and David. Btw her gums are fine. I will keep her on the Benadryl and lemon for the rest of the week just to be sure..
:whew:Harley, stop scaring your Dad…:sarcastic:
Glad she is back to normal!! Maybe it's the crazy weather, this year is nutso

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

good to see this.... they sure do keep us guessing :whew:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.