Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Hi All!

I'm brand new to this forum and was hoping I could get some advice from people that have been through this experience! I have an 11 month old, 50lb English bulldog named Beef. I was told by a vet that he probabily has an elongated soft palate and is pushing us to go through with the soft palate laser surgery. I really really don't want to, but if it's going to be worth it in the long run then I'm thinking maybe I should look into it. Beef CONSTANTLY snorts. Constantly. Sitting, sleeping, running, or doing absolutely nothing beef snorts when he breathes. He also gags a lot, and sometimes coughs up this white phlegm. He also gets out of breath VERY easily. It's like any little bit of excitement or excercise causes panting. Gums and tounge are always pink though, so I know he's well oxygenated. I'm nervous about this and I don't know what to do. He needs to be neutered anyways so I figured if he needs the surgery then would be the time to do it. I'm worried about something happening to him, because this is a high risk thing. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice would be really helpful!

Danielle and Beef

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi All!

I'm brand new to this forum and was hoping I could get some advice from people that have been through this experience! I have an 11 month old, 50lb English bulldog named Beef. I was told by a vet that he probabily has an elongated soft palate and is pushing us to go through with the soft palate laser surgery. I really really don't want to, but if it's going to be worth it in the long run then I'm thinking maybe I should look into it. Beef CONSTANTLY snorts. Constantly. Sitting, sleeping, running, or doing absolutely nothing beef snorts when he breathes. He also gags a lot, and sometimes coughs up this white phlegm. He also gets out of breath VERY easily. It's like any little bit of excitement or excercise causes panting. Gums and tounge are always pink though, so I know he's well oxygenated. I'm nervous about this and I don't know what to do. He needs to be neutered anyways so I figured if he needs the surgery then would be the time to do it. I'm worried about something happening to him, because this is a high risk thing. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice would be really helpful!

Danielle and Beef

Many of us here have had the soft palate surgery done. It was a life saver for one of mine.
Here's an article I did for EBN on Bracycephalic Airway Syndrome, lots of info.
English Bulldog News Forums - Brachycephalic Syndrome

Gagging is a serious condition that caused Aspiration/Pneumonia in one of my bulldogs. It's something I would take very seriously after my experience.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3:

I have bee through the procedure twice... my first Bulldog, Nitschke and my current French Bulldog, Chelios. Nitschke had his done at age two, but in hide sight I wish I had it done when he was younger as it would have solved some issues we had with his breathing and stamina. Chelios had it done at 8 mths and recovered great -- but he needed to have his nares widen a second time at age 4.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
:peekaboo::hiii::welcome:glad you found the site, You are best to get it done now with the snipping it will help so much in his breathing and daily routine - energy. This is very common to have them done together and sometimes teeth at the same time. If you are like us we worry a lot about our pets and having them go under for anything is disturbing and scary. This site offers more than just questions they are great for offering support. Am sure Beef will be fine and much happier afterwards other than the cone of shame, they do come in various types from hard plastic, soft plastic, blow up and fabric things you can find on this site. Fingers and paws crossed it all turns out okay. Hope to see some pictures of Beef let us know how things went and look forward to reading about how he grows up. once again welcome enjoy the site can be a bit addictive and enjoy having a bully in your life. Ps does Beef have a tail pocket?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor had that surgery done a year ago at 1.5 yrs. I had lots of questions and posted about this surgery and recovery here, so if you search for 'Castor' and 'soft palate' you will probably find both my questions and all the valuable advice I got back then! Good luck with Beef!

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Radar had his palate shortened and nares widened at about 1.5 years, and it has made a world of difference in his breathing, not that runs to fast or often anymore, but his breathing while he sleeps is so much better sometimes I have to check on him cause he isn't shaking the windows like he did before with his snoring

OP
D

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate the support! We're meeting with another vet this week to get a second opinion. This might just be something I have to do :(

- - - Updated - - -

Yes beef has a tail pocket, and he HATES when I try to clean it!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.