natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Nat. I feel a little better about her sleeping a lot now. The vet said to watch for lethargy, but I don't know, is sleeping a lot lethargy or is she just sleeping a lot recovering from the trauma? She sleeps right beside me always at night. Today, when I first posted this, she was sleeping beside me on the couch and she did some of that trembling in her sleep--almost like shivering.

I don't care about any mess in the house. So far she has been going out to pee and poop. I don't think this limp has anything to do with the stomach issue. I'll get her into the vet as early as I can tomorrow. I have had lots of dogs get limps that last only a day, so I'm hoping this is that kind of limp.

i'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

You have been on My mind all night , Yes please let Me know how it goes
To Me sleeping a lot is good and a recover mode , Odin slept a lot way way more then normal only time he got up was to go out and try and pass stuff terrible runs when he did go out = lots of water .
Our vet was very pleased with his hydration levels as that was one of her chief worries and did not want to knock him out to put a IV in him
Please let us know how it goes

Nat

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor Winnie :( I agree with you 1000% it truly is the worst thing EVER when they're sick! I think you've done everything you can and it sounds like she is starting to feel better. How is her leg today?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Goodness, I'm SO very sorry… at least she threw it up w/out surgery. I hope that she feels better soon!!!

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
You have been on My mind all night , Yes please let Me know how it goes
To Me sleeping a lot is good and a recover mode , Odin slept a lot way way more then normal only time he got up was to go out and try and pass stuff terrible runs when he did go out = lots of water .
Our vet was very pleased with his hydration levels as that was one of her chief worries and did not want to knock him out to put a IV in him
Please let us know how it goes

Nat

called the vet and we're going at 9:00. She woke up pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed once she got out of bed. She ate her chicken and rice and is still hungry. I think her limp is a little better. She got her ball (looked around and found an extra somewhere) and tried to get us to throw it outside. Not today Winnie! She's back on the couch napping again. It's such a relief to see even a little improvement.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
That's great news, Donna! I'm relieved. It's so stressful when they're not well.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well, we're back from the vet, and I'm very relieved. First of all, the vet said that the sleeping so much is from the trauma, not lethargy (so now I guess I don't know what lethargy is--oh well). She was not at all concerned that Winnie hasn't pooped. She's seen dogs in similar circumstances not poop for four days and that's not unusual. Winnie's eating a bland diet and there's not much waste to poop out. She's peeing, but not drinking a lot of water and that's also a result of the bland diet, so no cause for concern there.

Winnie was excited as usual to be at the vet--loving on everyone and getting lots of hugs and kisses. Totally different than she was at emergency--she looked at death's door then. The limp is slowing her down, but the news is good on that score. She has a bruise inside her paw pads on the right front paw. Got pain meds if we need them.

Winnie's sleeping on the couch. I feel much better today. Thanks, everybody, for being there!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
What a scary, scary situation! I am SO glad that Winnie is showing much improvement and seems to be on the mend. You are right that it is the absolute worst when our babies are sick. Sending positive thoughts that Winnie keeps getting better and back to her old self.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thank you for sharing your experience and acting on your instincts....I sometimes feel like I can overreact but oh hells no. i'm a bulldog mom.

April, I often overreact. I always seem to rush my guys in at the first sign of something being wrong. Sometimes the vet says wait and watch a day or two and usually they are okay in a day or two. That always seems to happen with a limp or when my dogs don't want to eat breakfast. As a result, I've quit rushing to the vet for those two things and watch for a day with a limp and half a day with no appetite. Better safe than sorry though!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
called the vet and we're going at 9:00. She woke up pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed once she got out of bed. She ate her chicken and rice and is still hungry. I think her limp is a little better. She got her ball (looked around and found an extra somewhere) and tried to get us to throw it outside. Not today Winnie! She's back on the couch napping again. It's such a relief to see even a little improvement.

AHH Great News thats cool and a relief
Think the most frustrating part with Odin was not being able to do much drove Me nuts , but the relief i felt when he started to rebound was awsome

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] Missed this whole thing-yesterday couldn't connect to internet most of the day. I am so sorry this happened to Winnie,but you were right on it,and did all the right things. All my other dogs always had a toy box full of stuffies, and they loved them and never chewed them-even the shepherds and malanois' Once the Bullies came along,I had to eliminate ALL the stuffies,and anything small enough to swallow. Don't know why they do that-but it sure IS scary! So happy Winnie is doing well now!:whew:

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
@Donnam Missed this whole thing-yesterday couldn't connect to internet most of the day. I am so sorry this happened to Winnie,but you were right on it,and did all the right things. All my other dogs always had a toy box full of stuffies, and they loved them and never chewed them-even the shepherds and malanois' Once the Bullies came along,I had to eliminate ALL the stuffies,and anything small enough to swallow. Don't know why they do that-but it sure IS scary! So happy Winnie is doing well now!:whew:

I know, Lynn! My boxers would play with the stuffies and sometimes they would tear them up and pull all the stuffing out and spread it everywhere, but they didn't EAT them! But why anybody would want to swallow an arm or a leg of one--bullies are just crazy sometimes. Also, my bullies have always popped tennis balls immediately. It seems like most dogs like to play with intact tennis balls. :chapped:

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Poor Winnie - good to hear she's starting to get better. It's amazing how quickly they can swallow items or "steal" them. We are constantly taking socks and wash clothes from Tiberius that he has nicked from the clothes basket. And he too is a big chewer of stuffed toys has already destroyed two Tuffy toys one in one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.