Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well, last night was awful.... At 5:30 p.m. Winnie wolfed down her dinner as usual, was feeling totally fine. At 6:00 I looked at her and she had a strange look in her eyes and wasn't moving around--she looked awful and she threw up part of her food. We jumped in the car and took her to the emergency vet. The vet there took one look at her and said she has the look of having a foreign body stuck in her gut. She took her back quickly, did xRays and said it looked to her like she had eaten a cloth or a sock, something soft. She was also running a fever of 104. The vet sent the xRay to a radiologist for an opinion and told us to prepare for Winnie to have surgery. At about 9:00 p.m. she threw up an enormous piece of a stuffed animal and a piece of plastic something. It was sooo lucky that she threw that up! They gave her an anti-nausea shot, diarrhea pills and sub-cutaneous fluids which made her look like a camel, and we brought her home. I put her in bed with me and she fell asleep immediately and didn't move all night. She trembled in her sleep for about an hour--then stopped. This morning she got up and is feeling better, but still not her normal self--pretty tired, but she was really hungry and ate some scrambled egg whites. She will be on a bland diet for another couple of days, then we'll slowly mix in her kibble for a week.

This is just totally freaked us out! I was afraid she was going to die! I've never seen Winnie so sick--well, I've never seen her sick at all. But she was really in pain. I think it's good to share these experiences, because you never know when one of us might have something like this happen. Winnie has swallowed pieces of toys before--once I saw it happen and induced vomiting and she's pooped out several smaller things. I didn't want to take her stuffies away, because she likes them and the other dogs like them, but it was a mistake not to take them away. I thought I was watching her carefully, but obviously I wasn't watching closely enough! If your dogs chew pieces off of stuffies, either take them away or keep your eyes on them all the time they play with one and don't let them have them at all when you're not right there.

i'm still worried about Winnie--she certainly isn't back to normal yet. She has been sleeping a lot today, which I figure is good. She has begged to play with her ball a couple of times, so that is a good sign (but I didn't throw it). And she has eaten 3 small meals with no vomiting which is good.

Any suggestions from y'all--anything I'm not thinking of?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you got it covered, that is super scary to go from fine one minute to possible death the next. Makes me think different about stuffies that's for sure. Thank G you did what you did and rushed her right in. I hope she gets completely over all of this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... so happy you got her to the ER and they were able to get her seen quickly. Great info to be shared, these little buggers are fast if we are not watchful of them

I think you are doing all the right things.... small bland meals and keep er calm for a couple days

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Holy Moly Donna, SCARY! Glad you acted fast and Winnie is okay. Thanks for posting…good for someone like me (lots of stuffed things around here) and what to look for!
One suggestion…pour yourself a drink; that must have been slightly tra-mah-tizing!! :heart:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Donna, this is terrifying!!! Thank God you got her to the vet soon. I'm so grateful she's doing better. I think you're doing what you can. Stuffies really scare me. Bella cannot be alone with them. She's such a viracious chewer.

God bless sweet Winnie. Please give her lots of love and kisses from me.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie ate her dinner of rice and chicken and a little cottage cheese. But as she got up to eat, she has a bad limp on her left front leg! I have no idea what could have caused it, as she's been very inactive today. I'm taking her to my regular vet in the morning to be checked over. Also, I'm worried now that she is sleeping too much maybe? The medication she is taking every 12 hours is Metronidazole. The instructions say that a possible side effect is acting disoriented and/or spacey. Does anyone have experience with that medicine? I feel so terrible--I so hope she feels better in the morning! It is the absolutely the worst feeling in the world when your baby is sick!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Well, last night was awful.... At 5:30 p.m. Winnie wolfed down her dinner as usual, was feeling totally fine. At 6:00 I looked at her and she had a strange look in her eyes and wasn't moving around--she looked awful and she threw up part of her food. We jumped in the car and took her to the emergency vet. The vet there took one look at her and said she has the look of having a foreign body stuck in her gut. She took her back quickly, did xRays and said it looked to her like she had eaten a cloth or a sock, something soft. She was also running a fever of 104. The vet sent the xRay to a radiologist for an opinion and told us to prepare for Winnie to have surgery. At about 9:00 p.m. she threw up an enormous piece of a stuffed animal and a piece of plastic something. It was sooo lucky that she threw that up! They gave her an anti-nausea shot, diarrhea pills and sub-cutaneous fluids which made her look like a camel, and we brought her home. I put her in bed with me and she fell asleep immediately and didn't move all night. She trembled in her sleep for about an hour--then stopped. This morning she got up and is feeling better, but still not her normal self--pretty tired, but she was really hungry and ate some scrambled egg whites. She will be on a bland diet for another couple of days, then we'll slowly mix in her kibble for a week.

This is just totally freaked us out! I was afraid she was going to die! I've never seen Winnie so sick--well, I've never seen her sick at all. But she was really in pain. I think it's good to share these experiences, because you never know when one of us might have something like this happen. Winnie has swallowed pieces of toys before--once I saw it happen and induced vomiting and she's pooped out several smaller things. I didn't want to take her stuffies away, because she likes them and the other dogs like them, but it was a mistake not to take them away. I thought I was watching her carefully, but obviously I wasn't watching closely enough! If your dogs chew pieces off of stuffies, either take them away or keep your eyes on them all the time they play with one and don't let them have them at all when you're not right there.

i'm still worried about Winnie--she certainly isn't back to normal yet. She has been sleeping a lot today, which I figure is good. She has begged to play with her ball a couple of times, so that is a good sign (but I didn't throw it). And she has eaten 3 small meals with no vomiting which is good.

God this sounds so familiar with Odin it scares Me , it will take time for them to come back water for us was the important part that was all he wanted after he cleared the obstruction , I also slept with him for a couple days that is not unusual tho he always sleeps with Me , But that was it for certain types of play toys screw the other dogs even Rosie. you can not be there every single moment not possible so I got rid of them , they have pull ropes large ones they fray less , we now have hampers for clothes to go in once dirty , scent right, is the attraction. I so feel for you right now I though i lost Odin God Bless our vet she did amazin stuff for three days .
I found that I had to keep him warm for three days he was always cold , we spooned in bed , I cut his food in half when he would eat if he would eat , that was ok by Me and our vet , no special diet was given same he always ate it helped firm his stool up i think as he was used to it .
Please let us know how ya make out , The most scary time I have ever gone thru with any dog hang in there ok

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Sweetie, I'm so sorry. I'm not familiar with that med, but maybe it causes drowsiness, too. I'll look it up online to see.

Limping? Hmm...could it be from rough play with the other doggies?

ETA: It's an antibiotic, and I see no mention of causing drowsiness.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Winnie ate her dinner of rice and chicken and a little cottage cheese. But as she got up to eat, she has a bad limp on her left front leg! I have no idea what could have caused it, as she's been very inactive today. I'm taking her to my regular vet in the morning to be checked over. Also, I'm worried now that she is sleeping too much maybe? The medication she is taking every 12 hours is Metronidazole. The instructions say that a possible side effect is acting disoriented and/or spacey. Does anyone have experience with that medicine? I feel so terrible--I so hope she feels better in the morning! It is the absolutely the worst feeling in the world when your baby is sick!

They sleep a lot more then normal , remember there body is try so hard to push whatever out one way or the other way there exhausted and we found thirsty so thirsty and would maybe in early days bring that up as there body could not adjust to that huge intake of water . Not sure at this point what the vet gave Odin but yes he was all over the place as you describe side effects wise . Hang in there takes time I never left his side talked to him when he decided to go walk about , do not forget you have trained the animal it is bad to Poop and Pee any where in the house right , the dog will try to full fill your wishes , we went thru this and it was not fun , but she will try and fullfill those wishes let it happen was what i ended up doing , do not over react to the mess i promise you the dog is trying not to do it , Sleep is VERY good , never seen Odin sleep so much

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Thank you for sharing your experience and acting on your instincts....I sometimes feel like I can overreact but oh hells no. i'm a bulldog mom.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Sweetie, I'm so sorry. I'm not familiar with that med, but maybe it causes drowsiness, too. I'll look it up online to see.

Limping? Hmm...could it be from rough play with the other doggies?

ETA: It's an antibiotic, and I see no mention of causing drowsiness.

Thanks, Cali. She hasn't been playing with the boys. I've been keeping them away from her. It's almost like she may have done it jumping off the couch to go eat, because she wasn't limping before she got on the couch. She had taken a really long nap and at first wondered if it could have fallen asleep. Pftt...

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte

Holy moly! What these bullies do to us! Charlotte is a voracious chewer as well- she doesn't discriminate. And well with the baby around who is becoming her accomplice- we are in trouble. Thanks for the information it may be useful.
Note on your limping- Charlotte sometimes limos after really long naps. Not sure if they get "sleepy" legs or what. Just an observation.

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
They sleep a lot more then normal , remember there body is try so hard to push whatever out one way or the other way there exhausted and we found thirsty so thirsty and would maybe in early days bring that up as there body could not adjust to that huge intake of water . Not sure at this point what the vet gave Odin but yes he was all over the place as you describe side effects wise . Hang in there takes time I never left his side talked to him when he decided to go walk about , do not forget you have trained the animal it is bad to Poop and Pee any where in the house right , the dog will try to full fill your wishes , we went thru this and it was not fun , but she will try and fullfill those wishes let it happen was what i ended up doing , do not over react to the mess i promise you the dog is trying not to do it , Sleep is VERY good , never seen Odin sleep so much

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Nat. I feel a little better about her sleeping a lot now. The vet said to watch for lethargy, but I don't know, is sleeping a lot lethargy or is she just sleeping a lot recovering from the trauma? She sleeps right beside me always at night. Today, when I first posted this, she was sleeping beside me on the couch and she did some of that trembling in her sleep--almost like shivering.

I don't care about any mess in the house. So far she has been going out to pee and poop. I don't think this limp has anything to do with the stomach issue. I'll get her into the vet as early as I can tomorrow. I have had lots of dogs get limps that last only a day, so I'm hoping this is that kind of limp.

i'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Holy moly! What these bullies do to us! Charlotte is a voracious chewer as well- she doesn't discriminate. And well with the baby around who is becoming her accomplice- we are in trouble. Thanks for the information it may be useful.
Note on your limping- Charlotte sometimes limos after really long naps. Not sure if they get "sleepy" legs or what. Just an observation.

Winnie had taken a very long nap! Hope that's it! Thanks, Sara.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi Donna, I have been through this experience several times with Dozer, he is my textile eater. He has eaten socks 4 different times, a dish cloth, Nerf Bullets from my Grandson, and he loves toilet paper and paper towel. We have been very lucky in that he has been able to either poop them out or throw them up. Each time he never showed any signs of swallowing anything, he ate, played, peed/pooped and acted normal. Only once did he get sick from swallowing a sock, he started with the diarrhea, he vomited once, and then he became very lethargic. I took him to the vet, and she felt his stomach, she could feel a mass in there, so did some X-rays and could see a shadow of something in his stomach. She gave him some pain medications, a laxative, IV fluids, and sent me home with some high fibre food to help move his bowels. She called the emergency vet hospital, and told them to expect us, as she was sure he was going to need surgery. That evening when I took him out, he was straining to go poop, and he passed a sock. The vet called us in the morning to see how he was doing, and she couldn't believe that he had passed a sock. We brought him back in for a check up, but he was fine. The last time he swallowed a sock it was right in front of me while I was on the phone, he swallowed another one of my grandsons socks, I watched his poop for two weeks and watched for signs of obstruction ( diarrhea , vomiting, drooling from mouth, and lethargy ) but he acted normal. Exactly 29 days after he swallowed the sock, he threw it up in his crate at 5:00 in the morning. These guys are so quick, and they swallow the strangest things. I call my guys bully goats. My guys can't have stuffed animals, towels, blankets, beds in their crates, soft balls, tennis balls, or any toys smaller than their mouths. I only give them Kong toys, or JWow toys, as they can't chew these.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.