Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trip to Emergency with Winnie

Quote Originally Posted by natski282 View Post
    They sleep a lot more then normal , remember there body is try so hard to push whatever out one way or the other way there exhausted and we found thirsty so thirsty and would maybe in early days bring that up as there body could not adjust to that huge intake of water . Not sure at this point what the vet gave Odin but yes he was all over the place as you describe side effects wise . Hang in there takes time I never left his side talked to him when he decided to go walk about , do not forget you have trained the animal it is bad to Poop and Pee any where in the house right , the dog will try to full fill your wishes , we went thru this and it was not fun , but she will try and fullfill those wishes let it happen was what i ended up doing , do not over react to the mess i promise you the dog is trying not to do it , Sleep is VERY good , never seen Odin sleep so much
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Nat. I feel a little better about her sleeping a lot now. The vet said to watch for lethargy, but I don't know, is sleeping a lot lethargy or is she just sleeping a lot recovering from the trauma? She sleeps right beside me always at night. Today, when I first posted this, she was sleeping beside me on the couch and she did some of that trembling in her sleep--almost like shivering.

I don't care about any mess in the house. So far she has been going out to pee and poop. I don't think this limp has anything to do with the stomach issue. I'll get her into the vet as early as I can tomorrow. I have had lots of dogs get limps that last only a day, so I'm hoping this is that kind of limp.

i'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

2. Likes bullmama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Charlotte View Post
    Holy moly! What these bullies do to us! Charlotte is a voracious chewer as well- she doesn't discriminate. And well with the baby around who is becoming her accomplice- we are in trouble. Thanks for the information it may be useful.
    Note on your limping- Charlotte sometimes limos after really long naps. Not sure if they get "sleepy" legs or what. Just an observation.
    Winnie had taken a very long nap! Hope that's it! Thanks, Sara.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Well, last night was awful.... At 5:30 p.m. Winnie wolfed down her dinner as usual, was feeling totally fine. At 6:00 I looked at her and she had a strange look in her eyes and wasn't moving around--she looked awful and she threw up part of her food. We jumped in the car and took her to the emergency vet. The vet there took one look at her and said she has the look of having a foreign body stuck in her gut. She took her back quickly, did xRays and said it looked to her like she had eaten a cloth or a sock, something soft. She was also running a fever of 104. The vet sent the xRay to a radiologist for an opinion and told us to prepare for Winnie to have surgery. At about 9:00 p.m. she threw up an enormous piece of a stuffed animal and a piece of plastic something. It was sooo lucky that she threw that up! They gave her an anti-nausea shot, diarrhea pills and sub-cutaneous fluids which made her look like a camel, and we brought her home. I put her in bed with me and she fell asleep immediately and didn't move all night. She trembled in her sleep for about an hour--then stopped. This morning she got up and is feeling better, but still not her normal self--pretty tired, but she was really hungry and ate some scrambled egg whites. She will be on a bland diet for another couple of days, then we'll slowly mix in her kibble for a week.

This is just totally freaked us out! I was afraid she was going to die! I've never seen Winnie so sick--well, I've never seen her sick at all. But she was really in pain. I think it's good to share these experiences, because you never know when one of us might have something like this happen. Winnie has swallowed pieces of toys before--once I saw it happen and induced vomiting and she's pooped out several smaller things. I didn't want to take her stuffies away, because she likes them and the other dogs like them, but it was a mistake not to take them away. I thought I was watching her carefully, but obviously I wasn't watching closely enough! If your dogs chew pieces off of stuffies, either take them away or keep your eyes on them all the time they play with one and don't let them have them at all when you're not right there.

i'm still worried about Winnie--she certainly isn't back to normal yet. She has been sleeping a lot today, which I figure is good. She has begged to play with her ball a couple of times, so that is a good sign (but I didn't throw it). And she has eaten 3 small meals with no vomiting which is good.

Any suggestions from y'all--anything I'm not thinking of?
    Hi Donna, I have been through this experience several times with Dozer, he is my textile eater. He has eaten socks 4 different times, a dish cloth, Nerf Bullets from my Grandson, and he loves toilet paper and paper towel. We have been very lucky in that he has been able to either poop them out or throw them up. Each time he never showed any signs of swallowing anything, he ate, played, peed/pooped and acted normal. Only once did he get sick from swallowing a sock, he started with the diarrhea, he vomited once, and then he became very lethargic. I took him to the vet, and she felt his stomach, she could feel a mass in there, so did some X-rays and could see a shadow of something in his stomach. She gave him some pain medications, a laxative, IV fluids, and sent me home with some high fibre food to help move his bowels. She called the emergency vet hospital, and told them to expect us, as she was sure he was going to need surgery. That evening when I took him out, he was straining to go poop, and he passed a sock. The vet called us in the morning to see how he was doing, and she couldn't believe that he had passed a sock. We brought him back in for a check up, but he was fine. The last time he swallowed a sock it was right in front of me while I was on the phone, he swallowed another one of my grandsons socks, I watched his poop for two weeks and watched for signs of obstruction ( diarrhea , vomiting, drooling from mouth, and lethargy ) but he acted normal. Exactly 29 days after he swallowed the sock, he threw it up in his crate at 5:00 in the morning. These guys are so quick, and they swallow the strangest things. I call my guys bully goats. My guys can't have stuffed animals, towels, blankets, beds in their crates, soft balls, tennis balls, or any toys smaller than their mouths. I only give them Kong toys, or JWow toys, as they can't chew these.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

5. Likes Donnam liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh my! Hope everything goes well. Good luck.
    Hug your bully today

7. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Nat. I feel a little better about her sleeping a lot now. The vet said to watch for lethargy, but I don't know, is sleeping a lot lethargy or is she just sleeping a lot recovering from the trauma? She sleeps right beside me always at night. Today, when I first posted this, she was sleeping beside me on the couch and she did some of that trembling in her sleep--almost like shivering.

I don't care about any mess in the house. So far she has been going out to pee and poop. I don't think this limp has anything to do with the stomach issue. I'll get her into the vet as early as I can tomorrow. I have had lots of dogs get limps that last only a day, so I'm hoping this is that kind of limp.

i'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    You have been on My mind all night , Yes please let Me know how it goes
    To Me sleeping a lot is good and a recover mode , Odin slept a lot way way more then normal only time he got up was to go out and try and pass stuff terrible runs when he did go out = lots of water .
    Our vet was very pleased with his hydration levels as that was one of her chief worries and did not want to knock him out to put a IV in him
    Please let us know how it goes

Nat
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

9. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Poor Winnie I agree with you 1000% it truly is the worst thing EVER when they're sick! I think you've done everything you can and it sounds like she is starting to feel better. How is her leg today?

11. Likes Donnam liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Goodness, I'm SO very sorry… at least she threw it up w/out surgery. I hope that she feels better soon!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

13. Likes Donnam, CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by natski282 View Post
    You have been on My mind all night , Yes please let Me know how it goes
    To Me sleeping a lot is good and a recover mode , Odin slept a lot way way more then normal only time he got up was to go out and try and pass stuff terrible runs when he did go out = lots of water .
    Our vet was very pleased with his hydration levels as that was one of her chief worries and did not want to knock him out to put a IV in him
    Please let us know how it goes

Nat
    called the vet and we're going at 9:00. She woke up pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed once she got out of bed. She ate her chicken and rice and is still hungry. I think her limp is a little better. She got her ball (looked around and found an extra somewhere) and tried to get us to throw it outside. Not today Winnie! She's back on the couch napping again. It's such a relief to see even a little improvement.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

That's great news, Donna! I'm relieved. It's so stressful when they're not well.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

16. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Well, we're back from the vet, and I'm very relieved. First of all, the vet said that the sleeping so much is from the trauma, not lethargy (so now I guess I don't know what lethargy is--oh well). She was not at all concerned that Winnie hasn't pooped. She's seen dogs in similar circumstances not poop for four days and that's not unusual. Winnie's eating a bland diet and there's not much waste to poop out. She's peeing, but not drinking a lot of water and that's also a result of the bland diet, so no cause for concern there.

Winnie was excited as usual to be at the vet--loving on everyone and getting lots of hugs and kisses. Totally different than she was at emergency--she looked at death's door then. The limp is slowing her down, but the news is good on that score. She has a bruise inside her paw pads on the right front paw. Got pain meds if we need them.

Winnie's sleeping on the couch. I feel much better today. Thanks, everybody, for being there!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

19. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

What a scary, scary situation! I am SO glad that Winnie is showing much improvement and seems to be on the mend. You are right that it is the absolute worst when our babies are sick. Sending positive thoughts that Winnie keeps getting better and back to her old self.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

21. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads