Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Last week, my Bully began limping. This week, his (L) Rear Leg is up off the ground. I took him to the Vet
because he has an old ACL injury from 2-years ago in the same leg. The Vet prescribed Tramadol for Pain,
and Rimadyl as an Anti-inflammatory. As of last night, Maximus refuses to eat. So I am unable to get his
medications into him. He is drinking, but not eating. He needs his medication for Pain and Inflammation
so he can heal, but I can't force him to eat. I'm sure he is uncomfortable and in pain, so I'm sure he has
no appetite. He goes back to the Vet on Monday (for his Vaccination).

Any ideas on how I can get Maximus to eat ?

Thanks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Last week, my Bully began limping. This week, his (L) Rear Leg is up off the ground. I took him to the Vet
because he has an old ACL injury from 2-years ago in the same leg. The Vet prescribed Tramadol for Pain,
and Rimadyl as an Anti-inflammatory. As of last night, Maximus refuses to eat. So I am unable to get his
medications into him. He is drinking, but not eating. He needs his medication for Pain and Inflammation
so he can heal, but I can't force him to eat. I'm sure he is uncomfortable and in pain, so I'm sure he has
no appetite. He goes back to the Vet on Monday (for his Vaccination).

Any ideas on how I can get Maximus to eat ?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Maximus, and I hope the medications will help him to heal and get better. He may not have an appetite due to him being in pain. If you can get his pain medication into him, he may perk up and get his appetite back. Is there anything that he likes or is his favourite treat that you could hide his medication in? you could try some peanut butter, or wrapping his pills in a piece of cheese, or even a little bit of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, something that he would really like to eat, and you could hide his pills in. Once you can get him to take his pills, he will feel better and get his appetite back, and he will be able to rest easier and not limp as much. I hope it his ACL heals and it isn't anything more serious. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I would like to add that when Jewel and Bentley were given certain meds, their appetites were suppressed...however, not to the point of not eating. They would eat a little and then go lay back down. You might want to check with your vet.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has already seen his Vet. He was put on Pain Medication and Anti-Inflammatory medication.

I was able to get the Pain Medication in him with Peanut Butter, and 1/2 of his Anti-inflammatory medication.
Now I will leave him to rest.
If his appetite is not better by tomorrow and he is still limping with his leg up in the air - I am taking him to the Emergency
Veterinary Clinic.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Maximus has already seen his Vet. He was put on Pain Medication and Anti-Inflammatory medication.

I was able to get the Pain Medication in him with Peanut Butter, and 1/2 of his Anti-inflammatory medication.
Now I will leave him to rest.
If his appetite is not better by tomorrow and he is still limping with his leg up in the air - I am taking him to the Emergency
Veterinary Clinic.

sorry to see this. I have nothing to add, just wishing you and Maximus well. Good Luck.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great thinking about taking him back to the Vet or an Emergency vet if he still isn't eating. That's so scary.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE:: 11-21-2015

Maximus had to be taken to the Emergency Vet last evening at 5PM. He was in distress, and had a Temp of 103.4. His (L) Knee was swollen as was his foot. He was panting heavily and needed to get to a Hospital. The Hospital started an IV on him immediately
and gave him IV Valium to calm him down, and gave him a water bath to get his temp down. They took X-rays of his (L) leg -
the results were he now had a complete tear of his ACL. He was admitted for an overnight stay.

This morning, the Vet called me - Maximus does have a complete tear of his (L) ACL. He is not a candidate for surgery at this time due to Anesthesia - it would be to dangerous for Maximus to undergo surgery at this time. He is overweight and Anesthesia would
be dangerous. So, we will be bringing him home this afternoon - he will be re-evaluated in 2-Weeks by the Surgery Department.
His Knee is still swollen.

Hopefully he will be discharged on Pain medication and Anti-Inflammatory medications. His recovery will be one step at a time.
Please keep us in your Thoughts and Prayers. Maximus needs your Prayers. Thank you all.

~ Patrick

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This was probably due to the pain or he just was not feeling well..... try small amounts (just enough to cover the pill) Vanilla ice cream.... I KNOW, trying to get him to lose weight, but if he needs the pills, small amounts of ice cream are the best way to get a pill in them --- it is cold so they just swallow

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayers for your Maximus:pray:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Maximus. Hopefully with getting his meds down, that can help him rest and not be in so much pain and allow the swelling to go down. Maximus and you are in my thoughts.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Sending Prayers and a Speedy Recovery for You Precious Maximus. Loads of Kisses and Hugs to you Sweetie.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I am glad you took Max back in. We are sending prayers and positive thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I'm so sorry to hear this. Some of my tricks, lean hamburger, beef broth and brown rice fixed together. For pills, American cheese slices, pill wrapped in them. Works well for Canelo. Has the vet presented an option to give him pain mess via syringe? While that sounds scary, it is amazingly quick and painless. I hope all goes well, prayers your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.