Anal sac issues

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I have been reading up on anal sac issues because Macon has been having problems. One of the articles I read said to add a powdered fiber, like benefiber to their diet. It said that the problem can be because with quality foods there is less poo and it can be the reason for the problem. Has anyone heard of this? Any thoughts on what I can do to help other than expressing them? I have been doing that.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, you can ad some unsweetened,flavorless fiber, or they have Scoot Bars for dogs,which gives them more fiber.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'll look for those. Thank you [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Someone suggested to me probiotics. My girl, Miss Pork chop has anal glad issues. She had them ruptured two times. I began to add a powder with everything probiotics , enzymes, etc $30 for a package. It's been helping her digest better. Weird thing her poop is not so smelly. It kinda smells like baby poop haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've been giving her probiotics for a while. I think she was here a couple weeks when I got it. She came to us in August. I don't know if she had a problem before now, but it seems to be an on going issue.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I've been giving her probiotics for a while. I think she was here a couple weeks when I got it. She came to us in August. I don't know if she had a problem before now, but it seems to be an on going issue.

Yes, same with Porkchop. The vet gave her meds for the ruptured anal glands. It is an on going thing her as well. The vet said, keep checking for anal glands if they need to be expressed. She scoots even after the expressed . The vet said , it was bec she was sore from anal expressed. I do keep my eyes on her and vet trips . Mystery why this happens often.

Hard to pinpoint especially, when she came to you in August if this was a problem before.

My gotcha day with Miss Porkchop is coming soon two years on December 14[emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have been reading up on anal sac issues because Macon has been having problems. One of the articles I read said to add a powdered fiber, like benefiber to their diet. It said that the problem can be because with quality foods there is less poo and it can be the reason for the problem. Has anyone heard of this? Any thoughts on what I can do to help other than expressing them? I have been doing that.

Banks had an anal sac infection once and our vet prescribed unflavored Metimucil... I think it was a tablespoon to her meal

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I was guessing that was the amount that seemed logical. Did you mix it with water? Or just put the powder on the food? I was thinking of just putting the powder on her food, at second thought I was thinking that may be terrible to try to eat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was guessing that was the amount that seemed logical. Did you mix it with water? Or just put the powder on the food? I was thinking of just putting the powder on her food, at second thought I was thinking that may be terrible to try to eat.

I just placed it on her food... She ate everything and anything [emoji14]

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thank you! I'm thinking I may try it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.