nayabully

Oct 11, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Naya
Hello everyone,

We have had Naya for about 7 weeks now. A couple days before we picked her up from the breeder, she got cherry eye in one of her eyes. Both of her eyes were tacked by the breeder's vet. I read online that recovery could range from a week to few weeks, however, the redness was still around after that. A few weeks after the procedure, we went back to the vet for a checkup and he said everything was healing well though.

Fast forward to today, and Naya's eye's are still red almost 2 months after the procedure. Our own vet said that the eyes are not infected and that she's hoping with more time, the redness will go away. She doesn't have much discharge except in the morning when she wakes up from sleeping. We use saline solution to flush it out.

I've attached pics for reference.

Has anybody had any experiences with cherry eye recovery and how long the redness went away for them? Or are Naya's eyes just too droopy, so the redness shows more?

2015-11-16.jpg2015-11-16 (1).jpg

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
What a sweet baby..I have no experience with cherry eye but we've gone through several entropian surgeries. Has the vet checked for this or could it be allergy related.There are a lot of people on here who have dealt with cherry eye.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That looks normal to me, but I am going to tag some members with experience for you

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my odie had cherry eye removed but not tacked.. i couldn't even tell it the next morning after the surgery.. sorry don't know much about tacked eyes..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When Blue had his done, they were red for a week, maybe two? Can't remember exactly but I don't remember thinking it was anything odd.

What you're seeing can also be caused by allergies. Any dust, or pollen might just be making them redder than normal right now.

OP
nayabully

nayabully

Oct 11, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Naya
Thanks for the replies.

I will have to ask my vet about entropian and maybe have Naya allergy tested then. I've been watching for signs of allergies, and I haven't noticed any excess paw licking, scratching, or severe skin redness. The drooping eyes was the only thing I've noticed, but thought that was from the cherry eye, but it's been so long. Almost 2 months since surgery. I've given her Benedryl from time to time, and it hasn't helped either. We flush her eyes daily with Saline as well, and feed her grain-free Fromm Beef Frittata (may switch to Pork and Peas to try out).

I've attached some more recent pics which were taken on Saturday. Her red eyes are more noticeable here.

IMG_6227-X2.jpgIMG_6243-X2.jpgIMG_6264-X2.jpg

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
Hi Nayabully,
What has been the outcome on your adorable pup and his eyes? I am going thru the same with my 5 month old bully. He had cherry eye in one eye, but they advised me it would be best to tack both at once, since he was bound to get it in the other eye. It will be a month tomorrow and his eyes are still very red and watery. We go see vet again next week. We still administer his eye med daily. They don't appear infected or seem to be bothering him at all. They look a lot like your pups just a bit more red.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.